BANNED

Default What's the deal with Tom Strong and Tom Strange

Ok I was looking up more heroes for my list and I came across... Tom strong and Tom strange.

1) what's the deal with them ? Are they they same person or different people ? I ask because they look to much alike.

2) are they still making comics about them ?

3) another reason I was thinking of adding them or him is because I need someone with a first name that starts with the letter "T" so I could add tarry meginss ( batman beyond) so far I have 5 tarry would be 6.

Bonus question: it says that rip hunter is booster gold's son. Is rip from the future of the main earth as his father of is he from a different timeline with a different booster ? On boosters page it says he was born in the year 2442 so if rip is from the same timeline he would probably been born 248... Something give or take a year or two.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Tom Strong is a character created by Alan Moore and Chris Sprouse for Moore's ABC (America's Best Comics) line, modeled after Doc Savage and created as part of ABC's effort to show what comics may have been like were Superman never created, with Tom serving much the same role as flagship character. Born in 1900 and raised by Sinclair and Susan Strong in an isolated high-gravity chamber on the island of Attabar Teru, Sinclair intended to raise the boy to be a modern superhuman renaissance man, while Susan grew increasingly concerned about her husband's drastic methods. They both died in the same earthquake that destroyed the gravity chamber; Tom was later raised by the islands' natives, and as a young adult, journeyed to America and Millennium City in order to help others, as those of Attabar Teru already lived an idyllic and peaceful life. Gifted with an extended life thanks to the islands Goloka Root, as well as above-human physical capabilities, an advanced intellect and incredible mental discipline, he's defended the world for over 90 years, alongside his wife Dhalua, his daughter Tesla, his father's robotic servant Pneuman, and his talking gorilla butler Solomon. His regular adventures ended with Moore's departure from Wildstorm, but he had a miniseries as recently as 2013.

Tom Strange is technically an alien, a Superman-level being (he leaped across the Galaxy on a single breath over the course of 30 grueling years) Strong encountered in his travels who gained his miraculous abilities from a serum called Alosun, from a near-duplicate of Earth that came to be known as Terra Obscura. He was a character in a book titled America's Best Comics in the 40s; when Moore learned of them, and that Tom Strange was physically similar to his own Tom Strong, he decided to incorporate Strange and his contemporaries into his world when he learned they were public domain.
    Buh-bye

Retired

Tom Strange was known as Doc Strange (or Doctor Strange) in the 1940s. This tends to make him seem like a Doc Savage type. His powers make him seem like a Superman type. Given, Doc Strange originally appeared in THRILLING COMICS and in AMERICA'S BEST COMICS and Alan Moore's imprint was called America's Best Comics, I think that Moore had to have known something of this before he even created Tom Strong and he had it in mind to deliberately make Tom Strong similar in appearance and ability to Doc Strange. The encounter between Tom Strong and Tom Strange immediately made me think of Superman and Hyperman's meet-up in "The Superman from Outer Space" in ACTION COMICS No. 265 (June '60)--and I would bet dollars to donuts that Alan Moore had that story in mind, as well.

Lol, tarry meginss. :P

Retired

Weird that this was taken out of the DC forum and put in the Independent forum. Does this mean all those DC published issues of TOM STRONG never happened? And here I was just yesterday mourning that we only talk about the DC Universe shared continuity titles and not all the other titles that DC has published over its illustrious history--maybe I was barking up the wrong tree.

BANNED

So Tom strong is human and Tom strange is a alien right ? Oh and I did spell Terry McGinnis wrong oops.

Retired

Tom Strong is human and so, too, would be the original "Doc" Tom Strange. Originally, when he was published by Nedor/Standard etc., he was a human scientist on Earth. But Alan Moore established Terra Obscura as a planet virtually the same as Earth, where all the Nedor heroes lived. So if you think of Terra Obscura as an alien planet, then everyone on it is alien.