0 0%
  • Thief of Thieves #21

2 7.69%
  • Trees #1

2 7.69%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Image Comic of the Week 5/28/14 - Chew/Revival #1, Southern Bastards #2 Deadly Class #5

Last week's winner was Saga #19 with a record smashing 11 votes. Fiona Staples is just absolutely amazing and took us on a roller coaster ride of emotions from beginning to end that's never before seen in a 22 page comic. From the very beautiful and heartwarming first page where we're introduced to baby robot to the catastrophic and heartbreaking last page which made Leonardo Dicaprio's tragic death in Titanic seem like a joyous occasion, Saga once again proves why it is revered as a modern day masterpiece.

Some interesting new titles for this week. Waren Ellis' Trees #1, Chew/Revival #1 crossover, and C.O.W.L.

Chew/Revival is the only one I read. I enjoyed the Chew side of the story but the art on the revival story didn't make me want to read that story.

From best to worst:

Deadly Class - extremely good representation of a paranoid trip, the lettering and panel design was really inspired. The last couple issues have turned this series from a guilty pleasure into something that I think is legitimately excellent. Few series have me as hooked page-by-page as this.

Southern Bastards - good but not quite as great as the first issue. Not much else to say...

Chew / Revival - a dud for me. The Chew portion felt like a filler waste of time, and maybe the weakest Chew issue of the series (after a string of 10+ phenomenal issues). The Revival portion was so boring that I could barely make it through...the art is terrible for a drama / horror story, it's just do devoid of style or atmosphere.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Southern Bastards for me. There was a lot of good this week (COWL, Deadly Class, Trees, DBR), but any book where the villains are a high school football coach and his team, has the potential to be one of my favorite things, ever.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Definitely not the comic of the week but is any one else reading Sovereign? Just got through issue 3 and I'm about to drop this from my pull list. Oh, Sheltered was superb once again.

BANNED

Deadly Class bro. Just love this story about troubled teens. And the way he conveyed the acid trip was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post

Chew / Revival - a dud for me. The Chew portion felt like a filler waste of time, and maybe the weakest Chew issue of the series (after a string of 10+ phenomenal issues). The Revival portion was so boring that I could barely make it through...the art is terrible for a drama / horror story, it's just do devoid of style or atmosphere.
    Do you think it is filler because the story in "Chew/Revival" won't have consequence in the larger narrative of (either of) the ongoing series?

On another note, the "Chew" portion, did, however interest me in wanting to get the "Chew" comics! I enjoyed it and thought there was a great dark humour to it.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Definitely not the comic of the week but is any one else reading Sovereign? Just got through issue 3 and I'm about to drop this from my pull list. Oh, Sheltered was superb once again.
    I do! That books is pretty dang bad, though admittedly, the ending of the third issue is the first time I felt like something of interest will be happening...

Here's how I ranked them this week:

C.O.W.L.
    Chew/Revival
    Sheltered
    Southern Bastards
    Deadly Class
    Sovereign

As someone who's only recently reading more Image stuff (That Humble Bundle did wonders for my buying habits), I got a personal best four titles from Image this week. Here's my ranking from best to least great (since none were bad)

Trees #1 - Damn that was amazing. This was actually the first thing I picked up from Ellis and I'm incredibly impressed. Plus the art was incredible. I think what made this my pick was because I picked it up on a whim. That makes everything better.

Deadly Class #5 - It was everything I expected from this series, but it was a really close second. I'm loving everything about this series.

C.O.W.L. #1 - This was great but I feel like the character setup could have been executed a bit better. And Rod Reis' art is amazing.

Chew/Revival - This was still awesome but I will admit some of it was wasted on me since I've only read the first volumes of each.

Deadly Class for me, that book is just oozing with style and captures the drug trip paranoia real well.

COWL #1 was also a fantastic debut, Southern Bastards makes me want some real good BBQ and Chew/Revival was just plain dumb fun.

All-New Member

Southern Bastards edges out Deadly Class for me this week. COWL was ok, but didn't blow me away. It started off slow though the politics seem interesting. The art was good for the most part but some of the faces seemed off and thats really one of the few reasons I'll ever hate art is terrible faces.

So hard. Especially with a week like this. Deadly Class was great. Chew/Revival was surprisingly awesome. Southern Bastards is an amazing comic. I think this will end up being one of the all time greats but I had to go with Sheltered #9. So much happens in the issue and so many things seems to change for the characters that I was just so impressed. My favorite issue of the series so far
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Do you think it is filler because the story in "Chew/Revival" won't have consequence in the larger narrative of (either of) the ongoing series?

On another note, the "Chew" portion, did, however interest me in wanting to get the "Chew" comics! I enjoyed it and thought there was a great dark humour to it.
    I am waiting for Chew/ Revival to get collected but do check out Chew. It's an amazing comic that, at 40-some issues and counting, hasn't missed a step. It's funny, it's gross (but, ya know, in a good way), it's inventive and it's oddly very touching at times too. I highly, highly recommend it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.