Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Are Ronnie and Jason still fused together as Firestorm?

Man, I was really hoping Hawkman was going to be among the titles listed when I clicked the link earlier. The mission statement here sounds like a perfect platform for helping to reestablish the character.

I can't believe Hawkman's seemingly been shelved again by DC, but that's certainly the vibe I'm getting lately. Gone from Justice League United for no apparent reason, no new ongoing announced, and now no new mini-series. True, he got some decent panel time throughout Convergence, but as continuity currently stands, it's starting to feel like DC don't even want to address his existence, at least not in a regular or relevant manner.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Swamp Thing, Firestorm and Metal Men for sure. Will see what the previews of the rest look like.

BANNED

DC is announcing some stuff in October. We might get our wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Man, I was really hoping Hawkman was going to be among the titles listed when I clicked the link earlier. The mission statement here sounds like a perfect platform for helping to reestablish the character.

I can't believe Hawkman's seemingly been shelved again by DC, but that's certainly the vibe I'm getting lately. Gone from Justice League United for no apparent reason, no new ongoing announced, and now no new mini-series. True, he got some decent panel time throughout Convergence, but as continuity currently stands, it's starting to feel like DC don't even want to address his existence, at least not in a regular or relevant manner.

BANNED

I was so excited for these minis this morning. Then Diamond released June numbers. As a DC Comics fan, it's getting really frustrating to see DC releasing so many great books, but being overlooked by Star Wars speculators and Marvel zombies who buys any crap their favorite publisher puts on shelves.

BANNED

Vixen, Black Lightning, Atom & Doom Patrol are still missing. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    All three writers are still awesome regardless of their age.
    True.
    But some readers feel they're too old school and won't even give them a try.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are Ronnie and Jason still fused together as Firestorm?
    Yes, they are.

As for my pick... I've been wanting to see Barr in comics again, so Katana gets my vote.
    If anything, I hope he gets enough buzz that he'll bring Maze Agency back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    True.
    But some readers feel they're too old school and won't even give them a try.
    I smell hypocrisy, because they still read comics by Keith Giffen & Dan Jurgens.

Interested in:

Metal Men: Bring back Brass!
    Firestorm: Please kill Jason and bring back Stein
    Katana: Cult of the Kobra: Hope it's good
    Metamorpho: So much potential with this guy.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I smell hypocrisy, because they still read comics by Keith Giffen & Dan Jurgens.
    I think Giffen and Jurgens still get a bit of the ageism problem.
    I know Giffen does, mostly because he was associated with Levitz and DeMatteis for long periods of time.

Who knows why readers feel a creator is too old-school or old fashioned?
    Is it because their biggest title in their career is a decade or more back? Is it because they're not doing a comic at Image?
    Is it because they read one comic and dismissed everything else because they didn't like it?

Spectacular Member

Excited for more SWAMP THING.

I don't think there's been a bad run on the character. Some are more effective than others...they range from almost b-movie monster on monster schlock (Wein and Wrightson's original issues, Marty Pasko's run) to the "sophisticated suspense" of Alan Moore/Rick Vietch to the later issues of Grant Morrison and Mark Millar. It's always been a good read, no matter the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think Giffen and Jurgens still get a bit of the ageism problem.
    I know Giffen does, mostly because he was associated with Levitz and DeMatteis for long periods of time.

Who knows why readers feel a creator is too old-school or old fashioned?
    Is it because their biggest title in their career is a decade or more back? Is it because they're not doing a comic at Image?
    Is it because they read one comic and dismissed everything else because they didn't like it?
    It's not every writer in this category. And I agree with your earlier post that some writers are able to bounce back (ie, Levitz on Dr. Fate, which is great so far).

I'll give any writer a chance, and in fact I have many times since I started reading DC. I've been letdown more often than not by writers in this group.

Scott Lobdell, Ann Nocenti, Howard Mackie, Tom DeFalco...just a few names. IMO DeMatteis should also be in there too, although he's not quite as bad. Giffen's recent work has just been so-so for me and a lot of it still feels at least slightly dated. But I would say overall he can still churn out mostly decent material. Likewise, Morrison has been in the business for decades too but he's awesome. The "agism" thing doesn't always apply...just most of the time.

As far as Dan Jurgens...his recent work from Future's End to now is actually really good. Tons of stuff before though was just awful.

Wolfman's run on Superboy and his New 52 Night Force book were both pretty bad. I can't speak to his Convergence stories.

I just think that if DC wants to take characters to a bold new direction and freshen them up for modern times, they should also use creators who are closer to the current generation. Otherwise, more often than not, they won't be very appealing. Look at other companies, like Valiant...or even most of Marvel...lots of new and "exciting" talent while DC still bothers with the likes of Lobdell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Interested in:

Metal Men: Bring back Brass!
    Katana: Cult of the Kobra: Hope it's good
    Metamorpho: So much potential with this guy.
    Do you mean Copper?