Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Secret Wars," "Star Wars" Continue to Dominate Direct Market's Top Ten Sales in June

DC Comics' "Justice League of America" debuted strong, but Marvel remained the top publisher by a large margin in June 2015.

Full article here.

BANNED

Readers sadly preferring the rehashing of old Marvel events over the renewing of DC line of books? What a surprise, huh?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: rude

X-men 92 makes me happy. It shows that there is still a strong market for good X-men books.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    Readers sadly preferring the rehashing of old Marvel events over the renewing of DC line of books? What a surprise, huh?

I agree.
    Nobody should be surprised that DC is getting soundly beaten month in and month out. Not with the nonsense they've been putting out in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.

With all due respect, I don't see how Secret Wars is really rehashing anything. Similar concepts in the tie-ins but wildly different details. Same with the main series--sure it's called Secret Wars, but aside from Doom stealing the Beyonder's power there's been few similarities thus far. Unless you drill it down to such minutiae that all stories are the same.

As for DC's renewal, I'm not a big fan of the new Batgirl title and those like it, so there are a few books I'm reading there but it didn't really have much that grabbed my attention. Not saying they're bad, just not for me.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    X-men 92 makes me happy. It shows that there is still a strong market for good X-men books.
    Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Classic X-Men stories. That cartoon and the stuff coming out at the time got me into comics. I haven't been that into the X-Men books since Morrison's run started. I'm hopings things sort of get "back to basics" after Secret Wars.

Ultimate Member

I am not reading Marvel until that Secret Wars mess is over.

However DC put them selves in the mess that they are in by their antics over the last 4 years.

It will be like this for the rest of the year Dc books getting their behinds handed to them by Marvel.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Mighty Member

DC had been great recently. Shame such a large lead.

Extraordinary Member

Always wait for Top 300, and check the sales of the books that actually have to sell based on little more than readership. Marvel manages to pad the numbers with a lot of #1s and variant covers. I am always more interested in how individual books are doing as the market share numbers are easily skewed.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Always wait for Top 300, and check the sales of the books that actually have to sell based on little more than readership. Marvel manages to pad the numbers with a lot of #1s and variant covers. I am always more interested in how individual books are doing as the market share numbers are easily skewed.
    Either way, you're still not seeing actual sales. These are simply what comic shops have ordered. The numbers aren't padded. That's what comic shops ordered based on what they think they can sell. Maybe some of them way over estimate, but their margins are pretty small. One has to assume that they how much they should order. A sale is a sale. And it isn't like DC doesn't do this. Remember the 52 covers for Justice League of America #1 last year? That's how both Marvel and DC operate, one no more than the other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AntoninoC View Post
    Either way, you're still not seeing actual sales. These are simply what comic shops have ordered. The numbers aren't padded. That's what comic shops ordered based on what they think they can sell. Maybe some of them way over estimate, but their margins are pretty small. One has to assume that they how much they should order. A sale is a sale. And it isn't like DC doesn't do this. Remember the 52 covers for Justice League of America #1 last year? That's how both Marvel and DC operate, one no more than the other.
    Yeah, I'm not reading Marvel or DC so don't think I'm picking sides and feel the need to defend one or the other. I am just suggesting to the person I quoted that taking a look at how titles are doing individually to see how creative direction is being received is more useful than market share which can be skewed by a small number of books.

Glad to see X-Men 92 in the top ten. I want to see how Midnighter and E is for Extinction did.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Image still going strong, that's good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Yeah, I'm not reading Marvel or DC so don't think I'm picking sides and feel the need to defend one or the other. I am just suggesting to the person I quoted that taking a look at how titles are doing individually to see how creative direction is being received is more useful than market share which can be skewed by a small number of books.
    I apologize if that come off as accusatory, that wasn't my intent. I was just elaborating on your point a bit and rebutting the "padded" bit. ;-)

I read a bit of both, I was just pointing out that both of the big two do this.

BANNED

I'm amazed with how many people don't see that a single publisher holding almost half of market share primarily through events and gimmicks is not a good thing for the comic industry in the long run.