Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AntoninoC View Post
    I apologize if that come off as accusatory, that wasn't my intent. I was just elaborating on your point a bit and rebutting the "padded" bit. ;-)

I read a bit of both, I was just pointing out that both of the big two do this.
    I figured you were just trying to elaborate, so no need to apologize, the "padding" of numbers must be making money for someone/everyone and everyone, even the little guys, does do it to some extent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    I'm amazed with how many people don't see that a single publisher holding almost half of market share primarily through events and gimmicks is not a good thing for the comic industry in the long run.
    It is definitely not good in the long run, unless there is constant growth in the market overall. Sometimes it is good to test the elasticity of the market, as long as people don't get burned on it, once they start spending more money on these events they hopefully look to other ongoing stuff to pick up when the events are over. But, yeah, personally I am over them and wonder if they are closer to collapse than a boom.

DC threw out their history and readers responded by going over to Marvel. Marvel has done a good job of keeping those new readers.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Fn Man View Post
    DC threw out their history and readers responded by going over to Marvel. Marvel has done a good job of keeping those new readers.
    By making a four month long event where there are no regular books, just a bunch of tie-ins that will no longer matter once the event is over?

BANNED

HUrray. X-men 92 #1 in the the top 10.

It could become an ongoing series.

Also happy with Thors #1 sales. It might become an onging series too. Stormborn rocks!

BANNED

Secret Wars is prolly the best-selling Marvel event and it's going strong taking the top spot on its third issue.

Spectacular Member

Seems DCYou didn't work

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by greenish lantern View Post
    Seems DCYou didn't work
    I think it worked but Marvel just did better.

Extraordinary Member

DC throwing out their history is what kept them closer in sales to Marvel for the last few years. Marvel has done a good job delivering constant sales spikes, though, as evidence by the fact that their ongoings still shed thousands of readers every month.

Oh, and Star Wars helps just a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think it worked but Marvel just did better.
    We won't know for sure until we see the Top 300 and can look at individual titles, but this is a very important point: if DC does something to increase their sales, it is not a failure just because Marvel did something to increase theirs by more.

DCYou was an abysmal failure. launching 52 titles with only a handful showing any sales. DCYou helped Marvel & Image increase there sales dramtically.

Extraordinary Member

DCYou was an abysmal failure. launching 52 titles with only a handful showing any sales. DCYou helped Marvel & Image increase there sales dramtically.
    DCYou was not 52 titles, and we don't know what the sales are for any of them really. Starting to wonder what you are talking about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

We won't know for sure until we see the Top 300 and can look at individual titles, but this is a very important point: if DC does something to increase their sales, it is not a failure just because Marvel did something to increase theirs by more.
    True.

But don't say that Star Wars helped only a little bit. Star Wars books helped Marvel a lot to have a huge sales gap over DC.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars but it's the truth. I like C3P0 and R2D2 though.

DC just launched 24 new #1's in June. So it isn't like they didn't do anything here. I just think that with DC YOU outside of JLA none of those new books are books that are going to attract a lot of readers. They are for characters and teams that aren't known for being solo titles or sustaining solo titles. All of their big titles got some sort of shake up with the story or the creative team, but retailers don't typically order a lot of extra numbers for just that compared to relaunches.