Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Are you sure Steve is Catholic? I can't remember them pinning him down to a specific denomination, but he always seemed pretty Protestant to me.
    Well, my memory isn't what it once was, but I'm 99% certain he is Catholic. There is an issue somewhere that expounds on this, but again, I can't remember what # it is. His faith has not been a staple in his stories like DD's is.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think, because more writers are liberal, Catholicism allows for a "safer" character than a Protestant.
    Catholicism is more heavily associated with religious imagery, like the crucifix, which makes it a natural fit for a visual medium.

A Gothic church with gargoyles tends to make for better scenery than a plain wooden steeple, and a fully robed priest more so than a plain dressed preacher.

There are other factors, too. A Catholic confessional makes for great expository dialogue. And up until recently, both mainstream publishers were based in New York City, where Catholicism is more prominent.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Well, my memory isn't what it once was, but I'm 99% certain he is Catholic. There is an issue somewhere that expounds on this, but again, I can't remember what # it is. His faith has not been a staple in his stories like DD's is.
    Well, recently, his faith in Hydra has been focused on
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    He's from 1920s era Brooklyn, so Catholicism seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Catholicism is more heavily associated with religious imagery, like the crucifix, which makes it a natural fit for a visual medium.

A Gothic church with gargoyles tends to make for better scenery than a plain wooden steeple, and a fully robed priest more so than a plain dressed preacher.

There are other factors, too. A Catholic confessional makes for great expository dialogue. And up until recently, both mainstream publishers were based in New York City, where Catholicism is more prominent.
    Excellent point - because Catholicism is much more visually distinct from "normal" American life, and because it has communal practices like confession, that does make for a more dramatic and visually distinctive portrayal of a character. (I still think that politics plays into it - there is a real aversion to portraying conservative characters in a positive light.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Excellent point - because Catholicism is much more visually distinct from "normal" American life, and because it has communal practices like confession, that does make for a more dramatic and visually distinctive portrayal of a character. (I still think that politics plays into it - there is a real aversion to portraying conservative characters in a positive light.)
    How would you like to see religious conservatism specifically expressed in a mainstream comic book universe?

Extraordinary Member

Just the sacrament of Confession alone has been in how many movies(let alone Communion) now?

If Netflix Daredevil had been a Protestant, that show would be two episodes shorter at least.

How would you like to see religious conservatism specifically expressed in a mainstream comic book universe?
    I would like to see some religious conservatives struggling with the harsher aspects of their faith (disagreements with sex before marriage, heteronormativity, abortion, etc) without demonizing them or having them reject their faith or the harder aspects to fit in. I know many Christians, myself included, who struggle with these things, but still do their best to love the people who disagree with them in their everyday life, and don't feel the need to constantly shame or denigrate them on those disagreements. Just have them portrayed as normal people who believe something different than the norm, like Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel. There is no corresponding portrayal of a conservative Christian in any comic, that I'm aware of - and I think having just one would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Just the sacrament of Confession alone has been in how many movies(let alone Communion) now?

If Netflix Daredevil had been a Protestant, that show would be two episodes shorter at least.
    Ahaha, so true. Also, Protestants have much less of an emphasis on guilt, so cut another two episodes off.

Yes, please do! Trust me, it's great. But I'll say no more.
    Okay, I managed to find a copy and read it - I really enjoyed it. I sided with Blake over Batman - I think his perspective is that natural outgrowth of a Deist, one who believes that God has not become Incarnate and suffered along with His people. I believe in redemption, because I believe that there is more than pain and pleasure in life. I believe there is good and evil, and you can move the world towards one or the other with your life - and you can change directions.

But do tell me - what's the detail!

Has anyone ever directly cited religious leanings for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? I imagine that if Lee and Kirby had ever given the matter thought, they would have styled them Catholics because of the popular association of Eastern Europe with Catholicism, maybe because it was "exotic." They might not have even been aware of a separate Romany religion, and though they would have known of the Orthodox Church, they would not be likely to consider it as a factor because it's not much on the mainstream fiction "map."

I would guess that both of them would be agnostics when they first appear, since Wanda never seemed religious until she became a follower of Wiccan practices. I can't remember Pietro passing any comments on Wanda's newfound religious beliefs, at least at the point I dropped off buying regular books.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Has anyone ever directly cited religious leanings for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? I imagine that if Lee and Kirby had ever given the matter thought, they would have styled them Catholics because of the popular association of Eastern Europe with Catholicism, maybe because it was "exotic." They might not have even been aware of a separate Romany religion, and though they would have known of the Orthodox Church, they would not be likely to consider it as a factor because it's not much on the mainstream fiction "map."

I would guess that both of them would be agnostics when they first appear, since Wanda never seemed religious until she became a follower of Wiccan practices. I can't remember Pietro passing any comments on Wanda's newfound religious beliefs, at least at the point I dropped off buying regular books.
    I don't know enough about either of them - but isn't Magneto Jewish? I know that Jewish heritage is counted through the line of the mother, but wouldn't Magneto's religion influence them, since he had so much power over them in their youth?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Magneto revealed himself to be a Holocaust survivor back in the 1980s during Claremon'ts run. They've waffled a bit at times whether or not he is Jewish or Roma. I think the first big reveal was in Uncanny X-Men #150

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Magneto revealed himself to be a Holocaust survivor back in the 1980s during Claremon'ts run. They've waffled a bit at times whether or not he is Jewish or Roma. I think the first big reveal was in Uncanny X-Men #150
    Regardles, I can't see him as a particularily religious person.

Invincible Member

I don't know enough about either of them - but isn't Magneto Jewish? I know that Jewish heritage is counted through the line of the mother, but wouldn't Magneto's religion influence them, since he had so much power over them in their youth?
    Magneto's Jewish background was added years later and around the same time it was established that Wanda Pietro were raised by a Romani couple. But even with the various retcons, when the twins were with Mags, it was always a coercive relationship. It was never, "Let's explore our shared heritage together." It was, "Join my band of terrorists or else!"

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yep, this is correct. But I'm not sure if he's a practicing Jew. I've never even seen him pray in the comics.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor