Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Characters you like for no good reason

What are the characters that you have found yourself drawn to despite having read very little of? I'm generally talking about characters you kind of became a fan of just from their look or their power-set/concept, even though you might have found the stories that you read with them in either failed to live up to the character's potential or were simply not very memorable.

For me:

Paladin

First saw him in a Dutch translation of a Marvel Team-Up, I couldn't read the language but I thought Paladin seemed kind of cool. This was back in the early Eighties before the Nineties comics overused the body-armour/gun combo. I've read a few stories with him in, but nothing particularly special.

Jack of Hearts

First encountered him in an Iron Man comic in the Seventies, I liked his power-set and visual (except the arrow that points to his crotch - what where they thinking?), but I don't think I've read anything with him in since. I avoided his Limited Series as I thought the space-alien thing was not very appealing to me - too DC, I guess.

Cat

I might have first seen him in a reprint of Master of Kung Fu, though it was seeing his Marvel Universe entry that made me think he was cool. I liked his haircut more than Shang Chi's, and he had that cool cat tattoo. Never actually read a comic with him in that I remember, though.

Anyone else want to share those characters you inexplicably like?

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Stardust

Prowler

Stingray

Ultimate Member

Oh, so many!

Stingray. An aquatic battlesuit hero whose 'armor' is made from electrically stimulated shark cartilage and is capable of surviving fights with heavy hitters like Namor and Tiger Shark? What a cool concept. And 'genius' Tony Stark, during the Armor Wars, got it into his booze-sotted brain that Stingray's battlesuit might be using pillaged Stark tech. 'Cause Stark really paved the trail in electrified-shark-cartilage-armored-suits... Dur.

Texas Twister. Maybe it's just a side-effect of growing up in tornado alley, but wow, what an amazingly cool concept, riding around on/in tornados! Plus how many superheroes are named after sex positions?

Unuscione. I've always liked force field ladies, like Invisible Woman, Cecelia Reyes (herself another of my underused favorites) and Armor, and Unuscione has a classic look, creating a sort of 'force field exoskeleton' for herself from psionic energy, which she's even been shown to use to conduct a psychic attack on those she's beating up. That's like ten thousand times cooler than the average telekinetic / telepath build (in much the same way that Psylocke's psychic knife is visually cooler and more dynamic than Jean or the Professor putting their hand to their forehead and squinting at someone).

I really can't get with the title of this thread. No offense meant, but it seems like a justification for liking a character that isn't "popular", as if there were valid reasons for liking those. Normally there is a reason for you to like something, even if it's a stupid reason for everybody else. Personally, most of my favorites are my favorites for the potential I see in them, even if most of them end up not living up to this potential. I'm still gonna like them even if no one else does. You can like a character because his name or his looks or his powers are cool for you. Maybe you find his backstory intriguing. Maybe you first read about him/her/it in a particularly significant moment in your life. IMHO, there always is a reason, even if this reason is not there for anybody else. However, I'm willing to play. The best one I can think of is:

CAPTAIN ULTRA! I liked him before I ever read anything about him, even if his costume was fugly, his name stupid and I knew he was written as a loser supposed to be in it for the laughs. I just liked him.

Peace

I'm also a fan of the Cat, his appearances are few and far between but I smile when I see the guy. I just appreciate badass martial artists. Paladin is another guy I enjoy, just a vet mercenary making the rounds Marvel's a funner universe with guys like him.

One that hasn't been mentioned

2512978-ohotmu_deadpool__1___page_43.jpg

Guy is just looney toons. I have no rational explanation for why I like the guy and, not counting his stint as Deadpool's white narration box, his appearances seem to be super rare.

Mighty Member

Definitely Stingray.

Puma.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

^Yeah, I always thought Puma was cool, though I haven't thought of him in some while.

Dansen Macabre. She's barely shown up in like 10 years - in fact I think she got killed in the Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight series - but, come on. She can dance so hard you'll die (or be hypnotized because why not) by watching her. And her name is 'Dansen Macabre'. HER NAME IS ALMOST LITERALLY 'DEATH DANCE' AND THAT IS ALSO HER POWER. That is perfection right there.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Moon Knight was one. Until I read his recent series which I didn't enjoy. I liked him because I have an old OHOTMU he's in. Same goes for Mockingbird and Nomad.

Another one is Battlestar. Never read a comic he's in, but I just like him for some reason.
    I surrender to the Contest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Prowler

Stingray
    Ditto to both. Plus:

Moondragon: An Outer Space Kung Fu Psionic with divine delusions. What's not to like?

index.jpg

Nighthawk: Sure he's shamelessly derivative. Maybe I just always associated him with Blue Falcon
    images2.jpg

Karla Sofen

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

(Arch)angel, Psylocke, Spiral, Vertigo, Yelena Belova, Silver Sable, Toxie Doxie, Illyana, Gladiator, and Ariel

There are definitely a few common traits. The weird thing is that I don't find fair hair attractive in real life and a few use magic, which I hate. But I liked these characters before I ever actually read a story about them. I'm always tempted to list them as my favorites even though there's not much to them for me. However I did come to genuinely like Ariel, Illyana, and June as characters.

132px-Coat_of_Arms_(Earth-616).jpg
    Coat-Of-Arms (Lisa Molinari). The idea that she sees herself as a radical artist and not just a supervillain could have made for some interesting new story angles. A shame she got reduced to a thug-for-hire.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member

Blue Shield

I have no idea why I give a damn about this character. It's not like his powers are particularly unique or anything. Dude doesn't even have a cool costume.

I'd update him by making him the Chief of Security at Project PEGASUS.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 07-06-2015 at 12:38 PM.