Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Sure. Pretty Deadly is pretty awesome, and what I read of Captain Marvel was pretty good. If she's got some ideas, I'd give it a try.

No. Wouldn't give her even one issue.

I dont know. It would depend a lot on what she wanted to do with Diana and where she was going to take the franchise.

I enjoyed KSD's run with Carol, but what she did there was pretty specific. She took a C list character who had always struggled to break into the big leagues (despite Avengers status) and streamlined Carol's screwed up history by twisting events and characteristics around, ignoring certain elements of the mythos, and introducing new ones. And it worked. Regardless of anyone's personal opinions on her work, she made Captain Marvel a major force for the company. The Carol Corps has become a serious movement at conventions (they even have their own now), the book drew in new fans which the industry as a whole had failed for years to do, and because of KSD's efforts we'll be seeing Carol in a big budget film in a few years. This book is also what opened up the doors for titles like Ms. Marvel and the new Batgirl (both of which outsell Captain Marvel) No matter how you slice it, that's success. If KSD could take Diana and elevate her status like she did Carol's, it would put Wonder Woman on a whole new level of cultural immersion and give her a relevance that she hasnt had since Marston stopped writing the book.

That said, I havent been massively impressed by KSD's other work. It's largely just "decent". Which is fine, I'll take a decent comic over a bad one any day. But she's not great with combat sequences and her plots move slowly. Im not sure if she could capture Diana's voice properly either (Carol was far less defined as a character when KSD took over).

I will say that when working with a co-author, especially one who gets the more action-oriented aspects of the medium, KSD can do great things. She's worked with Warren Ellis several times, and he seems to bring out the best in her. So I'd certainly check out a DeConnick Wonder-run, but would approach it with a degree of trepidation, especially if she's working solo and not with a co-writer.

But ultimately, it'd be better than what we have now.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-07-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

KSD rehabilitated Carol. Diana doesn't need that. Other DC heroines desperately need that kind of help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    KSD rehabilitated Carol. Diana doesn't need that. Other DC heroines desperately need that kind of help.
    sure about that? I think that after Finches WW will need a good time for detox

I know that her daughter is fan of WW, one of her favorites, I think Fraction or Deconnick could do something interesting and outside the box with the character

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

"NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!"

-Mr. Ed.

I concur.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

I haven't read Kelly Sue DeConnick's CAPTAIN MARVEL work, but her work on B*TCH PLANET is nothing short of sublime. If she's bringing that sort of A game to WONDER WOMAN, then I would be all for her taking the writing reigns.

And if not DeConnick, then definitely Alex de Campi: http://alexdecampi.tumblr.com/post/1...and-lenogradys
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

Nope, No, Not at all. I've read her run on Captain Marvel and it is boring. No sense of danger, no threatening villains, no compelling story arcs just fluffy meh and a romance that came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    Nope, No, Not at all. I've read her run on Captain Marvel and it is boring. No sense of danger, no threatening villains, no compelling story arcs just fluffy meh and a romance that came out of nowhere.
    i havent read it and i usually dont hear good things about her run. im curious why Carol's popularity skyrocketed with such mediocre reviews. was it just Marvel and Marvel fangirls desperately seeking a strong female Marvel superhero(that wasnt a X Men)? Was it KSD closeness to the fans? Was it her style and marketability? maybe it was just all of these thing put together.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i havent read it and i usually dont hear good things about her run. im curious why Carol's popularity skyrocketed with such mediocre reviews. was it just Marvel and Marvel fangirls desperately seeking a strong female Marvel superhero(that wasnt a X Men)? Was it KSD closeness to the fans? Was it her style and marketability? maybe it was just all of these thing put together.
    Pretty much all those things put together with emphasis on the marvel seeking basically an answer to Wonder Woman. Though she isn't that popular, I believe she is on her 2nd re release in the space of a year.
    I used to like Carol Danvers, but not what this run has done for her.

BANNED

The fact that she was promoted from Ms. to captain was huge, it meant she wasn't a sidekick or a love interest, she would become her own hero. I read the volume 2, while not good as Ms Marvel from Wilson, it was pretty entertaining with two of the best issues of the series. Searching about reviews, I found a site that compile them. the reviews seems good to me http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-bo...-marvel-(2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    sure about that? I think that after Finches WW will need a good time for detox

I know that her daughter is fan of WW, one of her favorites, I think Fraction or Deconnick could do something interesting and outside the box with the character
    Eh, the Finches are just one creative team. Unless they stay on for years and years, they cant really do any long term damage. They certainly wont improve the character's standing in either our particular subculture or society at large, but they wont do any real harm either. Diana has survived worse.

Fraction is an interesting choice. I enjoyed his Invincible Iron Man for the most part. I'd be interested in seeing what he'd have in mind.

Lots of different things. The "upgrade" from Ms. to Captain was seen as a reclaiming of her own agency, and by extension, the agency of female fans as a whole. KSD is/was very close to her fanbase and is basically the reason the Carol Corps became a thing. The costume design was polarizing, but it got people talking and lots of people adore it from a design perspective. And while KSD's action sequences and pacing aren't the best, she's got good dialogue, and Carol is a long standing and well established character; any costume/name change is newsworthy for our circles, but this had the feel of permanence to it, which most changes (Sam Wilson Captain America) dont.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-08-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Invincible Member

Hmm...that's a tough one for me cuz while I don't think her CM is brilliant, I do enjoy it. However, I wonder if she isn't putting more of her creative energies into her indie work.

In terms of comic book numbers, it seemingly didn't.

Reed's Ms.Marvel series featuring Carol as well as the new Ms.Marvel series featuring Kamala have generally sold substantially better.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Whoever is next on Wonder Woman needs to focus on her villians, judging by her work on Captain Marvel that really isn't her strong suite. So no I don't think shes a good fit.