View Poll Results: Which film do you prefer?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spider-Man 3

25 36.76%
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2

43 63.24%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    i thought asm 2 was amazing. sitll don't understand the hate
    Not sure if there is so much "hate" directed at the movie as disappointment; what I hear most often is that it was overstuffed with villains and that the Electro role was soggy and overwrought. Harry as GG was cool and Rhino was just completely random and tacked on.

AMS2 hands down. It has a ton of flaws, sure, but a lot of pretty good stuff too. Spiderman 3 is a wreck from beggining to end...

I never quite buyed Maguire as Spiderman/Peter Parker...as Peter he was ok as pre-spiderbite nerdy Peter, but afterwards he was still way too dorky and whiny (Yeah, I know Garfield's pre-spidey Parker was too "cool" (dat skateboarding...) but that was an AMS problem hehe), and as Spidey, yeah, the guy had muscles, but in a strangely chubby way. Also, AMS2 has the best looking Spidey suit to date.

Also, I prefer how Spiderman himself was written in ASM and ASM2 because at least they got right Spidey's sense of humor. In Raimi's movies he barely cracks a joke and the few he does are quite weak...(Spiderman 2 has some pretty funny moments though, altough some of them had more to do with the legendary Parker luck)

Gwen was way more likable and proactive than Raimi's MJ (as a matter of fact, I think AMS2 Gwen has an attitude closer to comic's MJ than Gwen, who, to be fair, was actually a pretty bland character despite what Spider-Gwen would make us believe nowadays). MJ was pretty much an ornament in Raimi's movies, and on Spiderman 3 the only thing she accomplishes is getting kidnapped yet again and disastrously fail in his acting career (I could write a long rant about how unlikable Raimi's MJ is and why, but I won't xD)

And for a minor detail, every Spiderman movie to date has some nod to kids. I find every kid in Raimi's trilogy obnoxiously punchable (To be fair, the little girl who fucks around with JJJ on Spiderman 3 was not the worst offender). On the other hand, the scene on AMS2 when Spidey saves this kid from some bullies, befriends him and walks him home was very well done and heartwarming (and I hate kids!) and really reflects what kind of down to earth, everyman type of hero Spiderman is.
    Last edited by Garrote; 07-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.

I don't understand people who say that Peter was more like comic-Peter in ASM 2. Peter needed to look up videos on youtube to understand how batteries worked.

That is not Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't understand people who say that Peter was more like comic-Peter in ASM 2. Peter needed to look up videos on youtube to understand how batteries worked.

Not to mention searching "spiders" on BING on ASM xD

But if I think about it, at least as far as I can remember, on Raimi's trilogy Peter never does anything even remotely scientific. Yeah, he used sound to defeat Venom, but you didn't need to be a genius to interpret all the clues he got about the symbiote's vulnerability...

ASM Peter finished the formula that his father and Doc Connors had worked on for years, also he made his webshooters. Peter's intelligence varies a lot from book to book (specially since ASM takes a lot from the Ultimate Peter) so I'd say there's no actual way of saying just how smart Peter should be. To me his intelligence is at least on par with the Raimi Peter, who doesn't particularly do any sciency-stuff in the movies besides impressing Octavius that one time.

I prefer ASM2. In fact I quite liked it and I believe most of the hate it gets is unjustified. I remember when Spider-Man 3 originally came out. I was 12 at the time and even then 12-year old me (who should have liked anything with superheroes on it) disliked the movie. I can't bear to watch the Peter "dancing" scene nor can I stand the movie's Venom. I liked how ASM2 captures the whole aspect of Peter being Spider-Man and enjoying it. On suit the ASM2 Spidey looks like Bagley's best art come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    i thought asm 2 was amazing. sitll don't understand the hate
    Film Critic Hulk will help you out with that.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/05/...ing-spider-man
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Garrote View Post
    Not to mention searching "spiders" on BING on ASM xD

But if I think about it, at least as far as I can remember, on Raimi's trilogy Peter never does anything even remotely scientific. Yeah, he used sound to defeat Venom, but you didn't need to be a genius to interpret all the clues he got about the symbiote's vulnerability...
    He knew how to stop Otto's experiment.

I never got the feeling that Raimi's Peter was given empty platitudes when people praised his intelligence. I felt that way about ASM Peter and his looking up how batteries worked on youtube.

It felt like Peter got slighted so they could build up Gwen. (Emma Stone even said "he's the muscle, she's the brains.")

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    ASM Peter finished the formula that his father and Doc Connors had worked on for years, also he made his webshooters. Peter's intelligence varies a lot from book to book (specially since ASM takes a lot from the Ultimate Peter) so I'd say there's no actual way of saying just how smart Peter should be. To me his intelligence is at least on par with the Raimi Peter, who doesn't particularly do any sciency-stuff in the movies besides impressing Octavius that one time.

I prefer ASM2. In fact I quite liked it and I believe most of the hate it gets is unjustified. I remember when Spider-Man 3 originally came out. I was 12 at the time and even then 12-year old me (who should have liked anything with superheroes on it) disliked the movie. I can't bear to watch the Peter "dancing" scene nor can I stand the movie's Venom. I liked how ASM2 captures the whole aspect of Peter being Spider-Man and enjoying it. On suit the ASM2 Spidey looks like Bagley's best art come to life.
    Peter's intelligence was slighted in the Amazing films to build up Gwen's. When people praised Raimi Peter's intelligence, you didn't feel that it was empty platitudes, even if the films put less emphasis on Peter's smarts. Whereas ASM Peter needed to watch a youtube video to understand how batteries worked, needed Gwen to cure the Lizard's formula, and needed Gwen to help beat Electro.

This was all stuff Peter should have been able to handle on his own.

And I'm sorry, but I'd rather watch a hundred awkward dancing scenes than another scene about Peter moping about his biological father. Ugh.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 07-07-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

One of the weakest plot point for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was Max "I want to be seen" Dillon. That was like worst adaptation of a comic book character in amovie, right after Dr. Kafka in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
    Note: This person is a Peter Parker, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards and James Howlett fanboy, used to be a Steve Rogers fanboy before he turned grumpy.

When people praised Raimi Peter's intelligence, you didn't feel that it was empty platitudes
    Golden rule of narrative: Show, don't tell :P

Sure, Peter learning about batteries on youtube (and on some wacky channel, no less) was lame, but at least you get to see him tinkering around.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    One of the weakest plot point for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was Max "I want to be seen" Dillon. That was like worst adaptation of a comic book character in amovie, right after Dr. Kafka in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
    That kinda made my day.

Battle of the turds, I'll go with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 over Spider-Man 3 but just barely.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Golden rule of narrative: Show, don't tell :P

Sure, Peter learning about batteries on youtube (and on some wacky channel, no less) was lame, but at least you get to see him tinkering around.
    But it ultimately led nowhere because Gwen did all the science stuff for him.

Spider-Man 3 here. Mainly because it culminated several plot points that had been building since the first movie. But also because it had alot of heart. I enjoyed the rivalry between Peter and Eddie, even though it was a little bitchy. Venom looked damn good when it was actually Venom and not Topher Grace face on a Venom body. The Sandman visuals were stunning and his motivations were clear. New goblin was a unique take on Harry, and it was nice to see him pull together his own goblin costume rather than just throw on his dad's old uniform. My only big problem with the movie was the bar scene.

ASM2 was enjoyable for me, but it had almost no connection with the first movie outside of ghost dad. The Richard Parker stuff was technically a connection between the two films, but all that garbage still made no sense and went nowhere. I liked the characters, though, and the humor was there. But Harry and Norman came outta nowhere in this film. Every single supporting character was meaningless to Peter's life, other than Gwen. The movie was good, and I liked it, but it really lacked heart.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-08-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

But it ultimately led nowhere because Gwen did all the science stuff for him.
    And that's still more science than Spiderman 3 Peter ever did :P (And if you add making his own web shooters on ASM vs Raimi's trilogy, Garfield wins the science fair)

And that's still more science than Spiderman 3 Peter ever did :P (And if you add making his own web shooters on ASM vs Raimi's trilogy, Garfield wins the science fair)
    Raimi Peter knew how to stop the train. He didn't need somebody to do it for him.