Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default John Arcudi leaving B.P.R.D.?!

I'm a little confused. These two quotes sure make it sound like John is leaving after Hell on Earth wraps up, but then they only go on to talk about Roberson working on Hellboy and the BPRD title.

And while next year will also see the conclusion of John Arcudi’s acclaimed run on B.P.R.D...
    I was sorry to see John go and obviously, it was going to be a very big deal who was going to take over John’s role,” Mignola explains to EW. “And the reason why our stuff has worked for so long is that it’s only been a couple of writers on this stuff. Scott Allie was the editor, now he’s the writer, and then John and I. So the idea of bringing someone in this late in the game was really horrifying.” Despite that hesitation, it was Mignola’s previous relationship with Roberson that helped him realize he already had the perfect successor.
    you can read the whole thing here: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/06...68976a07744c11

Very hard to imagine anyone else writing the main BPRD title. Maybe it'll end in such a different place that it won't need John at the helm, but, it's still just crazy to imagine the book without him. If he is indeed leaving.

EDIT: from CBR,
    Following this morning's news that longtime "B.P.R.D." writer John Arcudi would be stepping down from his post
    So, I guess he is leaving. ****...
    Last edited by Joker; 07-07-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Devastating news.

Fantastic Member

My heart is a little bit broken. Still, we have another 12 issues remaining from the great man, and he also says he will still be writing Lobster Johnson, which is good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcudiJoh...20497521471488
    Last edited by zerodemon; 07-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Crazy. I literally never thought this day would come.

I'm in shock over here too. I wonder where the series will go after this. Though until we see these final arcs it's hard to guess

The Claw of Justice!

I'm glad to see he will still write Lobster Johnson, but I am very sad to see him leave the BPRD title.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Devastating news.
    Agreed. ANY book with WRITTEN BY ARCUDI on it was a guaranteed winner. I am definitely a bit concerned...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storey View Post
    Agreed. ANY book with WRITTEN BY ARCUDI on it was a guaranteed winner. I am definitely a bit concerned...
    Yeah, he's an awesome writer but I trust that who ever Mignola picks will be great, he hasn't failed to recruit top talent yet.

Ugh. This is a punch in the gut similar to when Guy Davis left... but, they've proven themselves with their ability to bring new folks into the fold, so I'm not especially fearful.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Ugh. This is a punch in the gut similar to when Guy Davis left... but, they've proven themselves with their ability to bring new folks into the fold, so I'm not especially fearful.
    I'll second that "Ugh". Arcudi has been key to my enjoyment of BPRD. Thanks for all you've done, John! It's been much appreciated.

Side note: I was always curious why Dark Horse didn't publish John's A God Somewhere & Rumble. If he's the rock of one of your longest running titles, number-wise, why wouldn't you publish his passion projects? And yes, I know they published The Creep.