All-New Member

Default Pls recommend me some Standalone or Limited Series .

Hey guys , are there any good stand-alone or limited series from DC that you might wanna recommend me .
    To be honest i don't like crossovers & series that goes on for decades . I love short stories .
    I really loved Batman : The Long Halloween .
    Also the late He-Man series released by DC isn't bad , i'm looking forward to collect all its 5 volume collected editions .
    Too bad the He-man series that was released by image comics / Mv Creations during 2002/2003 is nowhere to be seen in mint condition , except for some old copies on e-bay

I was also interested in collecting Saga of the Swamp thing , but later came to know the issues that are collected in the big volumes doesn't start from the beginning . For example Saga of the swamp thing volume 1 starts with Swamp Thing issue 20 or something , and not issue 1.
    So are there any other collected editions of Swamp Thing , that tells the story from beginning , since i never read about Swamp Thing & would like to start from beginning .
    Last edited by Red_Drag0n; 07-07-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Drag0n View Post
    Hey guys , are there any good stand-alone or limited series from DC that you might wanna recommend me .
    To be honest i don't like crossovers & series that goes on for decades . I love short stories .
    Also the late He-Man series released by DC isn't bad , i'm looking forward to collect all its 5 volume collected editions .
    Too bad the He-man series that was released by image comics / Mv Creations during 2002/2003 is nowhere to be seen in mint condition , except for some old copies on e-bay

I was also interested in collecting Saga of the Swamp thing , but later came to know the issues that are collected in the big volumes doesn't start from the beginning . For example Saga of the swamp thing volume 1 starts with Swamp Thing issue 20 or something , and not issue 1.
    So are there any other collected editions of Swamp Thing , that tells the story from beginning , since i never read about Swamp Thing & would like to start from beginning .
    Hard to say, with only a limited idea of what you enjoy. But some of the classic I might recommend are:

Starman. By James Robinson, back in the mid 90's. It remains a cult favorite, had very, very, very few crossovers, and is collected in six Omnibuses which are pricey and worth every single penny. Starman remains a shining example of legacy characters done right, hits many of the themes that makes DC unique, and is considered by many to be Robinson's masterpiece (either this or Golden Age, which is also worth reading).

Manhunter. There have been several Manhunter series, but the one I speak of featured Kate Spencer, a lawyer in LA who got tired of super human criminals escaping justice on technicalities and takes vengeance into her own hands. It was published around 2006 by Marc Andrekyo (spelling is likely wrong), and shouldnt be too hard to track down in trade. Again, there are a handful of crossover issues but they're very few and very far between. This is a book that was cancelled two or three times due to weak sales but survived because of its loyal, diehard fanbase campaigning for it. If that isnt a solid recommendation I dont know what is. I actually discovered the book because of the first campaign, and became an avid fan until the end.

Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters are both worth reading. Longbow Hunters was published in the late 80's by Grell, and while that story stands on its own, it started Grell's run on the character and that defined Ollie for a generation. And Year One, by Andy Diggle and Jock, was a stand alone origin story which, years later, would influence the development of the CW series (it is however, far better than the show).

If you want a walk on the whimsical, All-Star Superman, by Grant Morrison, is considered by many the greatest modern day Superman story and makes most lists for "greatest Superman stories ever". If you never understood the appeal of the character, give this a try. It's silly and over the top and full of emotion and intelligent writing; its bittersweet, funny, and provides a fascinating world that is bigger than life while also being incredibly small and vulnerable and undeniably human.

If you want something that no one has ever heard of, Breach. Came out in 06, lasted for a year, and was cancelled. It was meant to be a Captain Atom relaunch but became its own thing. I havent re-read those issues in almost a decade, but I recall it being lots of fun, with an interesting main character and a threat that was actually scary. But good luck finding it. Maybe if your LCS has a big back-issue supply or you use Comixology?

Going back even further, Hawkworld from the early 90's was damned good. Started off as a three issue prestige mini, ended up being continued as a monthly that ran for thirty-ish issues. Only one short Event tie-in, and otherwise it stands on its own. Really well done and it holds up surprisingly well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Drag0n View Post

First... the Swamp Thing...
    #20 (well #21, really - #20 is only important because it shows how Swamp Thing got where is was, and acts more like a prologue) may as well be the first issue. You really don't need to know anything from before. Alan Moore goes over all the important things and reinvents the rest. It's a really great run.
    Matter of fact... after you read #21... you'll understand.

Now my suggestions:

New Frontier
    Watchmen
    Black Orchid (the Gaiman mini)
    Books of Magic (again, the Gaiman mini)
    Seven Soldiers of Victory (by Morrison) -Probably best to get in trades. It was 30 issues long.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 07-07-2015 at 05:26 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hard to say, with only a limited idea of what you enjoy. But some of the classic I might recommend are:

Starman. By James Robinson, back in the mid 90's. It remains a cult favorite, had very, very, very few crossovers, and is collected in six Omnibuses which are pricey and worth every single penny. Starman remains a shining example of legacy characters done right, hits many of the themes that makes DC unique, and is considered by many to be Robinson's masterpiece (either this or Golden Age, which is also worth reading).

Manhunter. There have been several Manhunter series, but the one I speak of featured Kate Spencer, a lawyer in LA who got tired of super human criminals escaping justice on technicalities and takes vengeance into her own hands. It was published around 2006 by Marc Andrekyo (spelling is likely wrong), and shouldnt be too hard to track down in trade. Again, there are a handful of crossover issues but they're very few and very far between. This is a book that was cancelled two or three times due to weak sales but survived because of its loyal, diehard fanbase campaigning for it. If that isnt a solid recommendation I dont know what is. I actually discovered the book because of the first campaign, and became an avid fan until the end.

Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters are both worth reading. Longbow Hunters was published in the late 80's by Grell, and while that story stands on its own, it started Grell's run on the character and that defined Ollie for a generation. And Year One, by Andy Diggle and Jock, was a stand alone origin story which, years later, would influence the development of the CW series (it is however, far better than the show).

If you want a walk on the whimsical, All-Star Superman, by Grant Morrison, is considered by many the greatest modern day Superman story and makes most lists for "greatest Superman stories ever". If you never understood the appeal of the character, give this a try. It's silly and over the top and full of emotion and intelligent writing; its bittersweet, funny, and provides a fascinating world that is bigger than life while also being incredibly small and vulnerable and undeniably human.

If you want something that no one has ever heard of, Breach. Came out in 06, lasted for a year, and was cancelled. It was meant to be a Captain Atom relaunch but became its own thing. I havent re-read those issues in almost a decade, but I recall it being lots of fun, with an interesting main character and a threat that was actually scary. But good luck finding it. Maybe if your LCS has a big back-issue supply or you use Comixology?

Going back even further, Hawkworld from the early 90's was damned good. Started off as a three issue prestige mini, ended up being continued as a monthly that ran for thirty-ish issues. Only one short Event tie-in, and otherwise it stands on its own. Really well done and it holds up surprisingly well.
    I think i'll go for All-Star Superman , since Superman is one of my favourites along with Batman and He-Man .
    Yesterday i googled and found this really interesting series of Superman called "New Krypton" and "World of New Krypton" .
    And i thought buying the paperbacks from Amazon , but found they are mighty expensive . Oh well i guess i've to wait for a few more years . Do you think the story ends in the 12 issue mini series "World of New Krypton" , since i can't find any info on that over the internet .

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    First... the Swamp Thing...
    #20 (well #21, really - #20 is only important because it shows how Swamp Thing got where is was, and acts more like a prologue) may as well be the first issue. You really don't need to know anything from before. Alan Moore goes over all the important things and reinvents the rest. It's a really great run.
    Matter of fact... after you read #21... you'll understand.

Now my suggestions:

New Frontier
    Watchmen
    Black Orchid (the Gaiman mini)
    Books of Magic (again, the Gaiman mini)
    Seven Soldiers of Victory (by Morrison) -Probably best to get in trades. It was 30 issues long.
    Yeah Books of Magic is an interesting one . I think its a 3 issue/volume series if i'm not wrong . Had no idea about Black Orchid , so thanks for that . I just bought the two volume series of "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman . I was having a tough time over at the store deciding whether i should buy The Black Hole by Charles Burns or The Graveyard Book by Gaiman . . . I'm glad that i chose the latter one since i just can't resist the paranormal . Besides Black Hole was full of Sex , Nudity and i didn't want to waste my precious bucks on such things . And thanks for the info on Saga of the Swamp Thing .

Would love to have some more , maybe on Green Lantern . Any collected editions / omnibus / stand-alones on Greeny that tells his story from the beginning ? Thanks again .

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Some that haven't been mentioned:

Twilight
    Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution
    The Golden Age
    Enigma

You would probably enjoy Superman: For all Seasons. Same creative team as Batman: The Long Halloween with a similar time based theme for each issue(every issue takes place during a different season, hence the title).

Hawkworld_3.jpg

One of the best DC stories ever.

This will change your look on Martian Manhunter. A great story, and very depressing.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

This is actually where DC really kicks ass, their minis and out-of-continuity stories.

First, I second All Star Superman. It's incredible.

Also, in terms of Superman, check out Superman: Secret Identity and Superman: Red Son for really terrific alternate takes. The former is particularly wonderful.

Superman: For All Seasons is good too, though I don't love it as much as everyone else seems to.

Kingdom Come is definitely worth checking out, even if it is slightly pompous as it has Alex Ross' best ever art and a compellingly dark yet hopeful story too.

DC: New Frontier is Darwyn Cooke's wonderful take on the rise of DC's Silver Age that I can't recommend enough.

And then, of course, there are Frank Miller's classic Batman books: Year One and Dark Knight Returns. The latter is actually something of an acquired taste so maybe wait a bit with it but definitely get to it eventually.

For slightly longer but contained runs, you can get both Grant Morrison's JLA and James Robinson's Starman (and yeah, check out his Golden Age too) in four or five over-sized collections that really offer great bang for your buck.

There's certainly more great stuff out there but I think that's a pretty good start.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Boisterously Confused

If you have any interest in Silver Age nostalgia, I'd say Alex Ross' Justice. IMO, one of the best Justice League stories ever written. Basically, the Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon blown up for adults.