All-New Member

Default Cullen's advice wanted: How can I break into comics as a writer?

My situation:

I'm Malaysian, 36, stuck in my country and working at a local retail store.

I do have a strong interest in creating comics, and I seek the sage advice of the Great Bunn to answer:

How can I break into comics as a writer?

What paths should I take before getting a gig at Marvel or DC?

Am I too old to break into comics, seeing that a lot of creators started younger than I am?
    If not, Jack Kirby aside, who are the examples of writers who start writing comics later in his life, at least at 40 years old?

Cullen wrote a bit about his own experience of breaking in on his website here.

I think one of the first things he or any other writer would ask is are you already writing now? If not, here would be my advice. Start writing now and keep writing until its good. Once you get good, write more until it becomes great and so on. There's no secret really, its just a matter of consistently working until you become proficient and fast enough at writing to sell it.

Try writing short scripts of subject you come up with on your own, maybe look for a penciller that is willing to work with new writers. If there are conventions near where you live then try to use them to your advantage to meet fellow artists and network. Over time if you have enough work out in public and a few people know you then I bet you'll find more work.

I don't think your age really matters, its more about how good your writing is and if you can meet deadlines. Being easy to work with is also a plus. If you can meet at least 2 of those 3 requirements you'll probably be ahead of many people in the game. Jim Zub has tons more writing advice on his blog here.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-06-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewLow View Post
    My situation:

I'm Malaysian, 36, stuck in my country and working at a local retail store.

I do have a strong interest in creating comics, and I seek the sage advice of the Great Bunn to answer:

How can I break into comics as a writer?

What paths should I take before getting a gig at Marvel or DC?

Am I too old to break into comics, seeing that a lot of creators started younger than I am?
    If not, Jack Kirby aside, who are the examples of writers who start writing comics later in his life, at least at 40 years old?
    You're definitely not too old. I broke in when I was just a little younger than you are now.

I'd suggest you consider what you want. Do you want to work for Marvel and DC? Do you want to do your own comics? Either way, you should just get a comic created. Write the script, find an artist, find a publisher (or self-publish), and get it out there. That work is a better introduction to an editor at Marvel and DC than anything else.

Really, creating something that is 100% unique to you is the key.