Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

I loved this book.

They're still going to be pumping out the standard digests to the checkout racks---that's already been said. It's just the floppies that are rebooted and I see no reason why this won't last a while. It's damn good.

This was, unsurprisingly, a great first issue. Between this new series, Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina, I'm very happy with Archie's line-up. The only criticism is the delays, which are a major bummer, but the quality itself is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Looks like their gamble has paid off... over half the reviews so far have given it 10/10.
    I wouldn't call hiring Mark Waid and Fiona Staples a gamble

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I thought the issue was good enough. I wasn't blown away but it is the first set up issue so I was just hoping it wasn't a disaster. I will of course buy it since I buy almost all the Archie books that come out. The art was fine though I prefer the classic look.

A big thing this team gets to do is to do is reintroduce all of the many Riverdale characters. That will be fun to see The Pussycats reappear, Cheryl Blossom, and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    1) It was only OK. There's only so much meat on a teen high school comic.
    2) Waid/Staples will be off it after 6-12 issues, and then it will putter along with a C-team for another 12, then it will end. The horror or Fiona Staples becoming Archie's "house style". Archie's business model revolves around CONSTANTLY pumping out digests to checkout racks. A monthly 23 page floppy doesn't fit.
    3) They did this before, for three digests, and it failed.
    4) They didn't have to end the longest running comic series to do this. This could have been called "Archie Now!".
    I know Staples is off after #3 but has there been confirmation about Waid?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I know Staples is off after #3 but has there been confirmation about Waid?
    According to Waid himself (while signing at Archie during SDCC), he is on for the long-haul.

Staples is taking a break after #3, but it's been said like three times that she will be back. We just don't know when. The A-team will be back on the book eventually.

I picked this issue up on a whim ... so glad I did!

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Will have to get the next issue

Warning ! If you like superheroes, science fiction delusional or war stories to Garth Ennis, Archie is not for you, for sure. But if you are to the diversity of genres and themes in comics, which passes on the side of Archie this week can only go in your direction, you are player / reader or not this series. Archie is indeed revived at 1, with Mark Waid who handles put up to date this eternal teenager a bit stuck, part of mythology seemed stuck in the era of Beach Boys. The Archie Waid eyeing more towards Dawson, to a teenage romantic comedy ... but it's like we compressed the narrative of a Shane Black with own universe to director John Hughes. The fact that the character addresses the reader, breaks the "fourth wall" allows connivance and, at the same time does not delimit all. It is otherwise aware of things that are beyond the hero, whether the attempt of his ex speak to him or even the quirky with a secondary character, a real "Loki" series (capable of acting evil but for the best reasons).

Although Fiona Staples graph approach is an integral part of this relaunch, I expected something even more pronounced, somewhat similar to the visual shock of the reversal of Conan by Becky Cloonan. Keeping very clear and relatively stripped funds, Staples remains in something a little cartoon. Finally the new thought Archie seems to have it all in Spider-Gwen readership. Not for super-heroic stunts but common cultural references, a renovated side and even a little rock. Also note that this Archie Comics # 1 contains a reprint of the first historical appearance of the character and it's pretty well to show that if the publisher changes things, it does not turn its back on its roots ... or measure the way traveled, it's up to you ...
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison