Super Moderator

Default Pipeline: The Digital French Invasion Has Begun

Finally, French comics are being translated for digital distribution. This raises some questions for Augie.

Full article here.

While the concern about iPad size is valid, we need to expand the conversation beyond apple products.
    Apple marketing has placed their product a the centre of the discourse, but they are not the only option and other brands of tablet are positioning themselves for the future market.
    I've been using a Nexus 10 for a few years now. It doesn't have the bell and whistles of the latest Galaxy, but the guts of it are Samsung and when it came out its screen resolution beat iPad retina. More to the point it's screen ratio was different to other tablets.
    It's basically the ratio of wide-screen TV, as it was designed as an entertainment machine. A movie takes up the whole screen, not letter box. The iPad and its imitators seem to have been designed for business documents and despite the shift to media entertainment consumption by users they haven't tweaked their ratio to suit.
    Curiously this 16:9 ratio is also perfect for comics. It almost fits perfectly and you lose only maybe 10% of the size. In fact the size of the Nexus 10 is basically the exact size of an American comic.
    That said I've never read 2000ad etc. on it tho, which is the gist of the format question, but I'm just saying rather than wait for apple to save the day there may be other options out there now or in the future for those of us reading digital comics as the primary use of our tablet.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I'd much rather see these in physical collected volumes, in particular Spin Angels.

Fortunately one French comic will be released in single issues: Mutafukaz
    http://titancomics.tumblr.com/post/1...the-hit-french
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

All-New Member

Not only that, but Samsung makes 12.2" and 10.5" tablets, which are also great for reading comics.
    Also, Comixology has been allowing in-app payments for Android while iPad users have to leave the app, something I hear complained about all the time.

If I was a digital comic reader (which I'm not) then they'd have lost me by chopping the books in half.

As for the size issue, all you have to do is get a bit older. Since I got my new reading glasses, my iPad feels like the rumoured iPad Pro

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

The article lists the two issue Image Comics release of the comic album Red One. This would have worked better as an over-sized one-shot priced at 4.99 or 5.99.

One big problem is the hardcover edition of Red One is priced at 16.99, which I think it used to be 14.99. If not a one-shot comic issue, I think Red One should be released as a trade paperback priced at 7.99, something similar to Image's Century West trade that came out a couple years ago.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa