Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    I don't buy into Jamie being a mutant. I don't buy into Psylocke being one either. At least in her original body. Kwannon's a different matter.

The only Marvel UK character of that period stated to be a mutant was Meggan. And even then that's only based off an offhand comment made by one of her friends that she's probably 'a mutant. Like they have in America'.

It doesn't entirely ring true of course, because Meggan's shapeshifting abilities were present from birth. There are very few Mutants who are in a similar situation. Jamie Madrox. And Nightcrawler. Peter David had termed these mutants as a seperate species, on X-Factor. 'Killcrops'. But that never really got developed any further.
    Sometimes, it's best to assume than not. Else Marvel will make them Inhuman. Marvel say he's a mutant, he's a mutant. Both Jamie and Psylocke could be classed as having latent powers, bought on by differing factors.

Oh and Jaspers was specifically stated to be a mutant.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    I only see Marvel making a Captain Britain comic if Faiza Hussain is the lead.

I like Faiza. I like her a lit. But as her own character. Having the alt universe version of Faiza who became Captain Britain being around for Secret Wars again is kind of cool. But I wouldn't want her to become a legacy character in permanence.

There is only one truly recognizable Captain Britain in Marvel comics. That's Brian Braddock. That's who the majority of people associate with. That's who should be Captain Britain in the mainstream Marvel Universe.

Faiza Hussain is Excalibur. That's her code name. That's the sword she wields. Faiza's actual powerset is unique - effectively able to do live dissection without damaging the patient. That has nothing to do with the Captain Britain powerset. The flight. The Superstrength and agility. Having Faiza as the Captain of mainsteam Marvel would be a complicated muddle, and really wouldn't serve the character of Captain Britain well with the 40th anniversary of the character looming.

In fact I think a lot of people would see that as a bit of a slap in the face.

Don't get me wrong, if we had any Captain Britain title I would very much WANT Faiza in the supporting cast. Just not replacing the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Sometimes, it's best to assume than not. Else Marvel will make them Inhuman. Marvel say he's a mutant, he's a mutant. Both Jamie and Psylocke could be classed as having latent powers, bought on by differing factors.

Well, I wouldn't want the Inhuman angle either. But given that they may even have some kind of crazy Otherworld genetics in their makeup for all we know there are plenty of ways to retcon out the inconvenience of Mutancy. It's a complication I personally feel holds the characters back at this point. And certainly wasn't part of their original creation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Oh and Jaspers was specifically stated to be a mutant.

Actually, yes. Valid point, He certainly was.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    I like Faiza. I like her a lit. But as her own character. Having the alt universe version of Faiza who became Captain Britain being around for Secret Wars again is kind of cool. But I wouldn't want her to become a legacy character in permanence.

There is only one truly recognizable Captain Britain in Marvel comics. That's Brian Braddock. That's who the majority of people associate with. That's who should be Captain Britain in the mainstream Marvel Universe.

Faiza Hussain is Excalibur. That's her code name. That's the sword she wields. Faiza's actual powerset is unique - effectively able to do live dissection without damaging the patient. That has nothing to do with the Captain Britain powerset. The flight. The Superstrength and agility. Having Faiza as the Captain of mainsteam Marvel would be a complicated muddle, and really wouldn't serve the character of Captain Britain well with the 40th anniversary of the character looming.

In fact I think a lot of people would see that as a bit of a slap in the face.

Don't get me wrong, if we had any Captain Britain title I would very much WANT Faiza in the supporting cast. Just not replacing the lead.

Well, I wouldn't want the Inhuman angle either. But given that they may even have some kind of crazy Otherworld genetics in their makeup for all we know there are plenty of ways to retcon out the inconvenience of Mutancy. It's a complication I personally feel holds the characters back at this point. And certainly wasn't part of their original creation.

Actually, yes. Valid point, He certainly was.
    So you wouldn't be happy if your favorite character was replaced? If I'm not mistaken, that makes you an automatic racist/bigot/homophobe/whatever else fits.
    At least, that's the way others are treated around here, which is totally ridiculous. Don't be surprised if something like that happens and somebody calls you
    a bigot when you object.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    So you wouldn't be happy if your favorite character was replaced? If I'm not mistaken, that makes you an automatic racist/bigot/homophobe/whatever else fits.
    At least, that's the way others are treated around here, which is totally ridiculous. Don't be surprised if something like that happens and somebody calls you
    a bigot when you object.

I get what you're saying. But I don't exactly agree.

I think Faiza Hussain is a great character. I want to see her in more books. As one of the first credibly written Muslim characters at Marvel (several years before our current Ms Marvel) I think it's great to have had her appearing as a positive enforcement of both that faith (just because somebody follows a different religion to many doesn't and shouldn't ever make them automatically a comic book bad guy) and being a truly likable and interesting character in her own right.

But that's my point. She should be a character in her own right.

The Captain Britain mythos is complicated, and at this stage a bit of a jumbled mess. It's needed to be properly defined and explained to new readers for years. I would want any new series to do exactly that.

But Faiza's own powers, and her connection to Excalibur (the sword which chose HER) have nothing to do with either the Captain Britain mythos, its rules, regs or powerset. I think it would be both confusing and also a bit of a detraction to explore those at the expense of the Captain Britain concept.

I certainly do not feel that any Captain Britain series led by Faiza AS The Captain would be anything but a bit of a compromise. Because

a) It wouldn't be able to properly explore the Captain Britain origins and mythos whilst also explaining those separate and unassociated powers and Sword.

and

b) Any attempt TO explore the actual mythos would equally detract from Faiza as a character - exploring her own powerset and connection to the Sword.

In short nobody wins.

It wouldn't pay Faiza the best of attention, and it would be a huge disconnect for most Captain Britain fans. Most of whom are already deeply frustrated by the continuing trend to keep on chopping, changing and derailing Brian's story over the past 15 years.

God knows that's a very niche fandom as it is. Alienating it further would seem more than a little counter-intuitive.

I would buy any title that Faiza was involved in - like I say I love the character, and want to read more of her - but first and foremost I want to read a properly visualised Captain Britain series.

Up to this point every non UK-originated attempt to introduce American readers to the character has taken sidesteps away from actually explaining the concept of Captain Britain to its readers.

Outlining the fundamentals properly.

He's NOT just an analogue for Captain America. He's completely different. And it needs explaining as to how and why.

Even Excalibur simply made assumptions that US readers had already read The Captain's UK appearances.

That to my mind is the fundamental reason why the character has never really connected with most US readers. It's time to change that. And for my money the only way to achieve that is to work with the original Captain or to have the original Captain serve as mentor for empowering a completely new character.

Not with any other already super-powered being inheriting the Role.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 07-10-2015 at 12:49 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Sadlay, still no sign of this at San Diego.
    It Came From Darkmoor...