Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Civil War #1 Spoilers

Well that was...a bit of a let down in my opinion. I wrote a full review here with a ton of pictures if anyone is interested.

I really really wanted to like this. I loved the original event and wanted this to be super cool, but instead it just came off as very boring. With 9 pages recapping what happened and the remaining issue basically just two men sitting around bickering it was a mega bore. The art is nice but still...

Onto spoilers!
    spoilers:

The book opens with an explanation of what the Super Hero Registration Act was. We see Cap, Spidey, Storm, and others fighting the fight we remember. After a bunch of that we cut to Black Panther and Dagger trying to infiltrate Iron Man's prison and release everyone. Unfortunately Tony set up a self destruct. Rut row. As it's about to blow Black Panther stays behind to "buy as much time as I can" (how does he do that?) and she flees. The Cap side runs to Cloak to teleport away. He almost manages it but the blast from the prison goes through him and takes out a major city. Cloak, Mar Gargan, Tigra, T'Challa, Matt Murdock, Janet Van Dyne and Doc Samson all die. Oh and 15 million other people.

We get a couple panels showing what happened next. What looks like a Skrull invasion which was stopped by Ghost Rider and Punisher and the Green Goblin takes over the White House...then promptly loses it.

We are then introduced to The Blue which is the East coast side of America and The Iron which is the West coast. They are divided down the middle. Ms. Marvel stops a young girl who is flying for the first time and she is admitted into Tony's schools for superheroes. Meanwhile we get a glimpse of a kid using his powers on the Blue side and he's told he can use them however he likes. Just make sure to use them for good or "The Punishers" will be after him.

From there we are introduced to The Divide, a bridge built from the ruins of St. Louis. Miriam Sharpe is brokering a negotiation between Cap and Tony. Lots of talk here about making a peace. Cap shows up with Spider-Man who has a suit that pops out wings. Tony shows up with She Hulk and they are apparently in a relationship. Before they enter the complex Tony lets Peter hang with MJ and his daughter. She Hulk stands by too.

They bicker for what seems like forever and then a shot is fired. A sniper takes out Sharpe. The shot comes from The Blue side, but Cap points out the bullet was meant for him.

The issue ends with Cap saying Tony will never let the war end so he'll end it for him.
    end of spoilers

So what did you guys think? Am I off base in disliking it?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

For craft and other reasons (Cloak AND Black Panther? REALLY?), I really didn't like this and won't be continuing it.

I did like the brief mentions of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign. Missing WWHulk though.
    Last edited by Double 0; 07-08-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Mighty Member

That's how it goes, yo.^^^
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    For craft and other reasons (Cloak AND Black Panther? REALLY?), I really didn't like this and won't be continuing it.

I did like the brief mentions of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign. Missing Planet Hulk though.
    Good I'm not the only one pretty let down by this.

Mighty Member

Systemic? ^^?
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

BANNED

First issue was meant to set the tone at least hopefully that's what soule is going for.

I'll let the second issue decide if i'll continue.

For a first issue though it was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    First issue was meant to set the tone at least hopefully that's what soule is going for.

I'll let the second issue decide if i'll continue.

For a first issue though it was pretty bad.
    If that is a setting of the tone then we are in for one boring ride.

Thank you to this thread for saving me 5 bucks!

BANNED

I actually didn't think this was that bad. Cassie Lang was awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post

I did like the brief mentions of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign. Missing Planet Hulk though.
    That's WORLD WAR HULK, Planet Hulk preceded it.

Still I am surprised with how quickly Norman lost his political power here.

Also you do need a reason or two for Stark to be an enemy for Wakanda, then here it is.

So if I understand this correctly, the same old troupe of black males being killed off, and rendered a non-factor in a major plot line ??? Not too surprising at all! Btw marvel thinks for helping to save money for Spiderman and Ultimates. This would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

No X-Men! !!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

BANNED

Most Xmen books don't have their own version of Avengers eithers.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Yeah this book was bad, only positive was there was a GHOST RIDER appearance!! So he might show back up because I know how much Leinil Yu like drawing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed View Post
    Yeah this book was bad, only positive was there was a GHOST RIDER appearance!! So he might show back up because I know how much Leinil Yu like drawing him.
    Yah and Ghost Rider appeared for all of 1 panel! lol