Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by x-mind View Post
    So here Tony is right and Steve is wrong. Nice change...
    How? He built the self-destruct bomb, even if he didn't trigger it. As for his "peace offer", no self-respecting country would accept it unless they had a gun aimed at their head; you don't sell territory for consumables.

All-New Member

I felt like this was an awesome introduction to what will probably end up being an epic story. They've set it up for not only betrayal, but for unity. It can go so many different ways, and it's going to be an interesting ride. The concept of each side adapting technologies of their own, and desiring different resources is intriguing.

Ultimate Member

Found this to be a little boring.

I'm still willing to give it another issue though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    She appears in a flashback to the Registration Act bit but that's it.
    Is it ok if i can ask for the scan?

Powered By Gravity

I don't really like Parker being Falcon, but understand the need for wings since webbing would be a pretty tough way to get around in a land that doesn't seem to have many buildings in it.

Spectacular Member

...and so apparently this doesn't directly tie-in with CAPTAIN AMERICA; CIVIL WAR 2016, or does it in a not so subtle way?

Yeah, it was a good beginning. After reading the True Believers CW#1 again, and seeing where the two stories veered off from, (in the original, there was no rigged self destruct of 42, in this Battleworld version, Stark rigged the self destruct into the system if it was tampered with), it then went into one of those political solutions, and someone sabotaged it. Tony denies he had anything to do with it, and Cap uses this to enact his final solution to end war.

I like this because of the distrust that still persists so long after the war started, and the bitterness that has built up over time to a point that both Stak and Rogers factions have good reason to be weary of each other. It even feels like the build up to Civil War #7, where something final was ready to happen. I like that the Iron needs more Blue land for their larger population, and I like that the Blue is starving and need the resources of the Iron, because this puts pressure on both sides to come to a solution, and killing the negotiator is like declaring the end of an armistice and for both sides to start their respective campaigns to end the war, because there are no more recourses to try.

I also picked up the Steve McNiven variant cover as a nostalgic indulgence, which I'm very happy about.

Myself? I think this Tony Stark is worse and more scheming than the real 616 Stark, because of the murderous self destruct mechanism. I don't know why Tony considered the self destruct Steve Rogers fault, when he put it there. Didn't Tony know there was a self destruct in place? And if not, why not, and who did put it there. This is going to be interesting, and I'm glad Charles Soule decided to write this, as a nice epitaph to this big Event that started big Events, Civil War. I'm not too sure on Steve Rogers in this yet, because he seemed to have a battle plan waiting just for this occurrence,. I am interested in how the Parker family is going to get affected while this war continues, and wonder why MJ and Maybelle are stuck over in the Iron, when they obviously should be together. Maybe Stark arrested MJ and Aunt May in this version?

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    For craft and other reasons (Cloak AND Black Panther? REALLY?), I really didn't like this and won't be continuing it.

I did like the brief mentions of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign. Missing WWHulk though.
    I really didn't notice that panel was about Skrulls when referring to enemies, because I thought it was generic bad guys. Or the Dark Reign reference as I thought Osborn just made a play for president, and then he got kicked out. I would be surprised the Secret Invasion would have gone ahead if Stark never got to control all the tech in both Iron and Blue, because Steve's side would have been less affected. And if Osborn again shot the Skrull Queen to become Head of HAMMER, then Stark would have mind wiped himself again, until Siege, and Thor and Cap brought him back, which Cap wouldn't have done if they were still enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by dang0 View Post
    I quite liked it. It's an interesting issue that sets up what will follow. The meeting between Tony and Steve was tense, and theres obviously some third party trying to keep the conflict going. I'm looking forward to where it goes.
    Then there's always been a third party starting with who designed the booby trap in the fail safe of 42. 3 people designed the 42; Stark, Richards and a Skrull Pym. If the Skrulls are gone now, then there is no point continuing the sabotage campaign by killing Sharpe. So if it's not Pym, is it Richards and Stark, and we have no Richards on Battleworld as Doom himself couldn't find him, because he looked. That still leaves Stark as the saboteur. But it's not usually the obvious, so who amongst the characters we've seen would perpetuate this enmity this long? Spiderman, MJ, Carol, She-Hulk, the woman in the white dress, Miriam Sharpe herself? (And maybe Black Panther if he orchestrated this, but I don't see his reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    spoilers:
    I guess the surprise reveal will be who really triggered the self-destruct system in the prision. Maria Hill obviously was into it, since she lied to Tony... could she be the Big Bad? Or was she working for the Skrulls or for Green Goblin?
    end of spoilers
    I don't know that Maria Hill lied to Tony. She just stated that T'Challa locked them out, which is quite plausible, because you wouldn't want your actions reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    "Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

In all seriousness, I kind of liked the book. A little too info-dumpish at the start, but once it got going the book started showing real promise. I'm definitely going to give this a second issue.
    I think the story required an info dump to world build where this Domain was at, so I was fine with that.

In one What If? CW Maria Hill met with Gyrich to plan the release of the Sentinels, but there was no mention of that, or any Thor clones in that Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Good point. Clearly Tony didn't want it to happen either. THAT said...what kind of jerk puts a self destruct in you can't stop. He should have known it might come to that and heroes would die.
    The Skrulls would have a vested interest of all super humans being wiped out in one fell swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysaw View Post
    I really liked this issue. The exposition was bit heavy and I'm not the biggest fan of the art, but I was really held by the story. That said, I am bummed about Panther and Cloak. I didn't really connect the dots right away, but it's a trope that I'm done with.
    Do we really think Cloak died because he couldn't close his portal and all New York was destroyed? If Cloak died, would that mean the portal to the Negative Zone had stayed open in that alternative reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    How? He built the self-destruct bomb, even if he didn't trigger it. As for his "peace offer", no self-respecting country would accept it unless they had a gun aimed at their head; you don't sell territory for consumables.
    And it was nice to find out there is trade of goods between Domains. I wonder why Blue doesn't get any trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Pi View Post
    ...and so apparently this doesn't directly tie-in with CAPTAIN AMERICA; CIVIL WAR 2016, or does it in a not so subtle way?
    The war went a different way because of the booby trap, and Osborn attacking and winning for a short while, so I think some other dynamic is in play here than the original. Somebody had a vested interest to destroy the U.S. Society and leave Stark in charge as President, and once it got to this stage, (with Stark in charge), it would have been relatively easily for Stark to reverse the SHRA and have the super heroes reconcile. But once Stark was made figurehead in Iron, the factions backing Stark may not have allowed him to negotiate that, and held a sword over Starks head that if he tried, they would sabotage it. If that's the case, then we definately have a third party running interference keeping Iron SHRA. I'm guessing Gyrich and Hill, and maybe Rhodey.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2015 at 04:17 AM.

BANNED

I can't believe anyone found this boring but, hey, to each their own. Personally, I really loved it and thought Soule did a great job summing up the concept of CW and then taking it down a whole new road. Yes, there was plenty of talking in this issue but I found it engaging and dramatic throughout and I loved seeing how this world evolved in a different way than the 616. As a "stage setter" I found it to be a fascinating issue and a great alt u exploration of what's become one of the key rivalries in the MU - Steve and Tony. It was also great to see a young Steve again. I think there's a lot of potential to be mined from Old Steve but it was an undeniable pleasure to see the familiar Steve back. And on top of Soule's strong script, Yu's art was a thing of beauty. What an incredible book to look at.

With the war set to heat up again at the end of this issue, maybe the rest of the series will be more exciting for those who found this issue to be not action-packed enough.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So if I understand this correctly, the same old troupe of black males being killed off, and rendered a non-factor in a major plot line ??? Not too surprising at all! Btw marvel thinks for helping to save money for Spiderman and Ultimates. This would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
    They're not a non-factor.

Black Panther was the one who set the bomb to explode. He told Captain America's side that Stark had set the bomb to detonate, then told Maria Hill that Captain America ordered the bomb to be detonated. He was the one responsible for killing 15 million people and perpetuating the war.

In other words, the main black male wasn't a non-factor. He was the villain.

Mighty Member

^^That's even worse than having him killed off if that is the case.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    They're not a non-factor.

Black Panther was the one who set the bomb to explode. He told Captain America's side that Stark had set the bomb to detonate, then told Maria Hill that Captain America ordered the bomb to be detonated. He was the one responsible for killing 15 million people and perpetuating the war.

In other words, the main black male wasn't a non-factor. He was the villain.
    How do you get Panther set the bomb, when he was in the process of getting into the system and only then noticed the self-destruct light up? And where did you get Panther called Hill to say Cap ordered the bomb to detonate? That wasn't in my book.

In my book, Panther sacrificed himself to get the heroes out of the Negative Zone, and Hill was making stuff up, or collaborating with a 3rd person. How that could be misconstrued to be T'Challa, I don't know.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2015 at 05:21 AM.

Wrong post
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2015 at 03:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How do you get Panther set the bomb, when he was in the process of getting into the system and only then noticed the self-destruct light up? And where did you get Panther called Hill to say Cap ordered the bomb to detonate? That wasn't in my book.

In my book, Panther sacrificed himself to get the heroes out of the Negative Zone, and Hill was making stuff up, or collaborating with a 3rd person. How that could be misconstrued to be T'Challa, I don't know.
    Yes, that's how I read it and how I believe it was intended to be read - that T'Challa sacrificed himself and died a hero. Seemed pretty clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

I'm with you there. That's how I saw it.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.