Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Jeezus how much that Black Incal went up, unfortunately that is the only book i don't have in collection, not sure what choices do i have left

I like Tintin more and more (currently reading the Shooting star) and was thinking about trying out Blake and Mortimer. I know it's a well known title but is it good? Does anybody have any recommendations for stories or maybe any reasons why shouldn't I read it?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I like Tintin more and more (currently reading the Shooting star) and was thinking about trying out Blake and Mortimer. I know it's a well known title but is it good? Does anybody have any recommendations for stories or maybe any reasons why shouldn't I read it?
    I would highly recommend Blake and Mortimer if you like Tintin.. Art is great and some of the stories are very good as well and complex.. One criticism is that the villain keeps recurring in most stories, almost to the point of annoying.. Most of my money that have gone to Cinebook is because of Blake and Mortimer, Lucky Luke.and XIII..It's a shame none of the cinebook English publications of eurocomics are hardcover

Amazing Member

If you can, read both Yoko Tsuno and Blake and Mortimer. Both the creators also helped to create Tintin, that is why their comics are really good. Also, I don't think these Cinebook comics have any censorship issues, but B&M is very, very wordy.

thanks guys, gonna check out B&M and look up what the hell is Yoko Tsuno (never heard about it before).
    Any specific story recommendations or basically all of them are good?

Amazing Member

I haven't had time to read most of them, so I can't recommend any from either series. However, if you like Asterix, you should look at Lucky Luke and Iznogoud which are published by Cinebook. Goscinny (one of the Asterix creators) did not create either series, but he did write many of the volumes in both series. These are the four main volumes I'd recommend from Cinebook (and the main Cinebook comics that I have been buying).

Quote Originally Posted by tanim View Post
    I haven't had time to read most of them, so I can't recommend any from either series. However, if you like Asterix, you should look at Lucky Luke and Iznogoud which are published by Cinebook. Goscinny (one of the Asterix creators) did not create either series, but he did write many of the volumes in both series. These are the four main volumes I'd recommend from Cinebook (and the main Cinebook comics that I have been buying).
    Bought a B&M yesterday, but not one from the original creator but from Van Hamme. Don't ask why.
    I remember really liking Lucky Luke when I was a kid, a lot of these french comics reached hungary (where I'm from) in cartoon form (Asterix, Tintin, Lucky Luke) and AFAIK LL is still published regularly (Asterix as well, but not Tintin.) while world famouse american books failed miserably (Sandman, Hellboy, Fables, etc etc).
    I remember seeing an Iznogoud cartoon series but that was a newer production IIRC. Didn't care about it too much for some reason.
    I really like Asterix but the real world, adventure aspect of Tintin appeals to me more than these cartoony, fun stories (nothing against them, I just can't read too much in a row).

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I just finished Metabarons... Alright, that was something new...

It's basically what would happen if Homer made a sci-fi story back in the day while on serious drugs. It's pretty damn awesome actually, though I think I have to reread it again to get the most out of it. And that art... Damn that art is great. I never heard of Gimenez before but he's one of my favorite artists ever. Seriously, that guy is insanely talented. Oh and I love the edition itself too (It's my first Humanoids hc. I thought it would just okay since it's not oversized but it looks pretty amazing on the shelf). Anybody has some good Humanoids hc recommendations (apart from the Incal and Technopriests of course which are already on the list). Also, did Gimenez draw a lot of other stuff? If yes, is it worth checking out as well?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post

It's basically what would happen if Homer made a sci-fi story back in the day while on serious drugs. It's pretty damn awesome actually, though I think I have to reread it again to get the most out of it. And that art... Damn that art is great. I never heard of Gimenez before but he's one of my favorite artists ever. Seriously, that guy is insanely talented. Oh and I love the edition itself too (It's my first Humanoids hc. I thought it would just okay since it's not oversized but it looks pretty amazing on the shelf). Anybody has some good Humanoids hc recommendations (apart from the Incal and Technopriests of course which are already on the list). Also, did Gimenez draw a lot of other stuff? If yes, is it worth checking out as well?
    My favorites so far are Millennium, District 14 + the spin off/continuation: The fantastic voyage of Lady Rozenbilt and Redhand. All of them are very different but really, really good.
    Fabulous five was a lot of fun, Shamanism was interesting but my mind just wasn't ready for that, Armies has an interesting vibe (like classic EC, Creepy maybe? Never read them but I would imagine they are kinda like this) but it totally worth it for the art.

Yep Metabarons is something else!

As for recommendations... Humanoids has a very diverse range of books. Some of my favourites are District 14 vol. 1 & 2 and Lady Rozenbilt. Milan K., Bouncer (soon in a complete edition) and The Swords of Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Yep Metabarons is something else!

As for recommendations... Humanoids has a very diverse range of books. Some of my favourites are District 14 vol. 1 & 2 and Lady Rozenbilt. Milan K., Bouncer (soon in a complete edition) and The Swords of Glass.
    Swords of glass is soooooo pretty but the story had much more potential than what ended up on paper.
    About Milan K: isn't that just the first part of a longer story? That's one of the reasons I didn't get it yet, not follow up volumes in sight. But I heard really good things about it.

Gimenez wrote and drew Leo Roa, which has been published in English by Humanoids. While the art is great, the story didn't really do anything for me.

As for other recommendations, as Martin already posted there's a wide variety of books, with the focus on SF and fantasy (with a few exceptions, like Cape Horn - awesome book, btw).

White Lama by Jodo/Bess is also excellent, with stunning artwork. Though having a completely different setting, the overall story reminded me a lot of Technopriests.

A completely weird (even by Humanoids standards) but still brilliant book is Foligatto.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 07-07-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Swords of glass is soooooo pretty but the story had much more potential than what ended up on paper.
    About Milan K: isn't that just the first part of a longer story? That's one of the reasons I didn't get it yet, not follow up volumes in sight. But I heard really good things about it.
    I really loved SoG, not just because of the art. Armies read like a lost Robert E. Howard story. Really enjoyed that as well. When you compare it to Creepy, perhaps it's because the art looks somewhat like Corben.

Amazing Member

I really liked El Nino by Humanoids. The art and story are not outstanding like Metabarons, but if you like Tintin or adventure stories, you'll love this familiar story.

Amazing Member

I really like Asterix but the real world, adventure aspect of Tintin appeals to me more than these cartoony, fun stories (nothing against them, I just can't read too much in a row).
    You may want to also check out the aerial adventure comic book Buck Danny. Another great adventure series published by Cinebook.