Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Post Discover Collected Euro Comics!

Guys, I really see more and more people buy european comics in here. Especially Humanoids books of course and also Dark Horse titles such as Blacksad and Jeremiah. And most recently the Noah book published by Image. I have a feeling though that most are overlooked so a little more attentionto some titles.

First books that might peak your interest are two WW1/WW2 themed books, Ambulance 13 and the forthcoming Airborne 44. Both are praised in Europe.

Ambulance 13 published by Bamboo is already available though amazon.co.uk. Note that it says the book is in French, but is actually in English. Not sure if this edition is paperback or hardcover though. But check out those dimensions. It's printed in original French size at almost 32cm tall! Check out a 7-page preview for Ambulance 13 here: http://www.angle.fr/presse/documents...9782818926512/

Airborne 44: No Way Out should be released in English 16 June by Belgian publisher Casterman. It's a stand alone story, which if it proves a successful sale might lead to Casterman releasing the other volumes in the series in English too. You can get it here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/2203088419 and check some preview pages below:

Last edited by MartinNL; 05-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.

And the next 3 pages of Airborne 44:

Titan Comics is also doing fantastic stuff. They already gave us Snowpiercer deluxe editions. And they will now do two deluxe edition Eurocomics every month. Last month they solicited Elric and Void...

... and in the June solicitations we have The Third Testament by Xavier Dorison and art by Alex Alice (from Siegfried), which is very popular in Europe and even completely sold out in Dutch and going for 5 times the original price!

"The 14th-century. Shortly after the discovery of an ancient relic in a secret, long-forgotten crypt, a remote monastery is burnt to the ground, and all its inhabitants slaughtered. Disgraced Inquisitor Conrad of Marburg is summoned from his exile and sent on a world-spanning quest to discover the truth behind the massacre. But is he, the church and humanity ready for the shattering revelations his journey will reveal?"

Last edited by MartinNL; 05-28-2014 at 02:40 PM.

And also in the June solicitation from Titan Comics is The Rage in deluxe edition:

"A new pandemic virus, a mutated form of rabies, spreads throughout the world. It affects only children, turning them into mindless, violent killers, hungry for blood. Now humanity faces an impossible choice: kill every child or face extinction. The government tries to save those infected by keeping them locked away until a treatment becomes possible. Meet Amina; a young mother from Paris battling to save her young son - but she finds not only their lives hanging in the balance, but her humanity, and that of everyone around her, too."

Finally for now.... solicited again from Archaia/Boom! is Sergio Toppi's The Collector. Hopefully just as beautifully published as Sharaz-De was a couple of years ago.

"WHY WE LOVE IT: The late Sergio Toppi remains one of the great master sequential
    artists whose work inspired a generation of illustrators and comic artists who followed
    him. The Collector is Toppi's longest-running original series, now translated into English
    for the first time since its debut in 1984.

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: Toppi's breathtaking line work and composition will leave you
    staring at his pages for hours. While this oversized edition serves as much as an art book
    as a comic, the adventures of the globescouring, daredevil Collector will appeal to fans
    of Indiana Jones, Five Ghosts, or Doc Savage.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Far from the auction halls of the elite, The Collector seeks out rare
    and mysterious artifacts across the world. He is at home in the salons of Paris as he is in
    the jungles of Borneo. Set against the backdrop of late 19thcentury colonialism, The
    Collector is a delightful, swashbuckling adventure!"

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    And the next 3 pages of Airborne 44:
    What European comics could you recommend me? Because of my preference of English over Dutch since I was little I've read next to none European comics. Could you give me some good recommendations (I prefer every comic in it's original form, but since I can only read English and Dutch I have to read translations from French work. I find Dutch translations always a little painfull to read since I know Dutch so well I find every mistake so annoying it makes enjoy the comic less (note, I don't have this with native Dutch work) so if translation is the only option I prefer English). My favorite works are mostly comics with a mystery in the plot (or subplot) with cinematic art and intelligent dialogue. Like for example Sleeper, Sixth gun and Watchmen (3 of my favorite works (it helps I have all of them in oversized format haha)). I appreciate it a lot, many thanks ahead!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What European comics could you recommend me? Because of my preference of English over Dutch since I was little I've read next to none European comics. Could you give me some good recommendations (I prefer every comic in it's original form, but since I can only read English and Dutch I have to read translations from French work. I find Dutch translations always a little painfull to read since I know Dutch so well I find every mistake so annoying it makes enjoy the comic less (note, I don't have this with native Dutch work) so if translation is the only option I prefer English). My favorite works are mostly comics with a mystery in the plot (or subplot) with cinematic art and intelligent dialogue. Like for example Sleeper, Sixth gun and Watchmen (3 of my favorite works (it helps I have all of them in oversized format haha)). I appreciate it a lot, many thanks ahead!
    Well I started on the second cycle of The Third Testament and based on that I would definitely recommend getting that first volume (for just $10) from Titan Comics I mentioned above. I'm sure I will!! Furthermore check out these:
    - Genetiks
    - Chimpansee Complex
    - Siegfried
    - The Killer
    - Blacksad
    - Tardi books from Fantagraphics (esp. WW1 books)
    - Okko
    - Peter Pan (Loisel)
    - A Bag of Marbles
    - Incal
    - District 14
    - The Fantastic Voyage of Lady Rozenbilt
    - Milan K.
    - etc. etc.

Absolutely keen on the Void, more Sean Philips can only be good. The Third Testament is something I'd be keen to try.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Absolutely keen on the Void, more Sean Philips can only be good. The Third Testament is something I'd be keen to try.
    Me too. Cannot wait. And I don't know how they do it, but these books are only $10! Granted they are only 48-64 pages, but still...

I'll definitely check out the Void (LOVE me some Phillips art), The Third Testament (premise reminds me a little of Preacher) and maybe The Collector (premise is interesting but never heard of creative team before)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Me too. Cannot wait. And I don't know how they do it, but these books are only $10! Granted they are only 48-64 pages, but still...
    I suppose for $10 it's worth trying out, and discounted works out at a pretty good price.

Oh and Dark horse is translating Station 16 in the august solicitations. Never read it but Martin's review on the 9th blog was interesting.

BANNED

I will watch this thread with keen interests! Thumbs up for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    I will watch this thread with keen interests! Thumbs up for the idea.
    Absolutely seconded! This is the kind of thing I come here for.

This week Eisner nominated Belgian Willy Linthout has one of his graphic novels published in English by Conundrum.

"In 2007, after the suicide of his son, Linthout wrote and drew the graphic novel Years of the Elephant, which was nominated for a number of international awards and won the Bronzen Adhemar, the most important Flemish comics award. What We Need to Know is the sequel to Years of the Elephant but uses a wideangle lens to encompass the entire family, specifically three brothers who each need to cope with their own ghosts. The style of both these autobiographical books is done in pencils without inks, in other words a rough and unfinished look, which perfectly matches the psychological state of the characters. Fortunately, they can consult “The Book” in emegencies. In that magic reference work, the famous artist WL’s mother has collected innumerable facts, recipes, and advice, in essence, what we need to know about life."

http://www.amazon.com/What-Need-Know...+know+linthout