Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Just finished Quest for the time bird, took a few days because...well, because it was a slog. Don't know what to say, I know lot of people love this book and it's a classic and all that but I just can't see the appeal.
    I liked elements of it but maybe the execution was not as satisfying. Also, all the characters irritated me to no end, especially Pellisse.
    I'm kind of disappointed, expected a lot more, maybe that was the problem?

I have uploaded on my blog a detailed description (in French) of the Fourth "Version Luxe Grand Format" of Astérix (Papyrus): http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...r-version.html.
    I was told in my local comics book shop that the first one (The Picts) is currently being reprinted.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Only one word to describe it: AWESOME!

Titan Comics Adds The Quest For The Time Bird To New Masterpiece Series!

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7865a2694...j3ko1_1280.jpg

http://36.media.tumblr.com/6ad4415ae...j3ko2_1280.jpg

http://36.media.tumblr.com/345ced42b...j3ko3_1280.jpg
    Uhh, the recoloring kind of puts me off...

French editor Glénat will start this month reprinting Pat Mills & Olivier Ledroit's Requiem Chevalier Vampire series with new covers and tiny bits of extra (27th January, second volume in February).

requiem 1 glenat.jpg

Perhaps there will be Foreign translations of this edition. Some of the eleven volumes of the original edition published by Nickel were hard to find recently. The authors have planned to publish the end of the story (volume 12 & 13), but not before a few years as Ledroit is busy on another series for the moment (Wika).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Things are getting better and better with Titan Comics. Not only did they promise to publish two eurocomics every month starting September, but they'll be publishing an omnibus of Universal War One!!! The book has previously been published by Marvel's Epic imprint, but now a completely new omnibus edition from Titan Comics is on it's way early in 2015. Also I don't know how they do it, but it will just be $25.99 http://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-WAR-...dp/1782762388/
    So did anyone actually pick up the Titan edition of Universal War One and compare it to the Marvel version?

This podcast discusses it:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/po...ersal-war-one/

Discussion of the translation comes around the 60 minute marker and lasts about a half-hour.

Apparently it's a completely different translation than the Marvel edition. According to these guys on this podcast, the translation and the word bubble placement is completely different across the two different English language editions. The Marvel one reads more smoothly and there aren't many major problems with the way the dialogue flows in the translation (of course there are always going to be bumps in the road in translation). But the Titan edition has poor speech bubble placement, awkwardly stilted translations, and even spelling and grammar errors that went uncaught by the editor of the Titan English language edition. The Titan edition apparently has better/more appropriate lettering styles than the Marvel edition though, but does that matter if the English isn't very good?

Has anyone else noticed these issues in either the Marvel or Titan editions?

I hadn't read the Marvel editions (yet), but I took a peak and read issue 1 of 6 in the new Titan edition and there definitely were awkward word choices and clunky dialogue as well as confusing word bubble placement in spots. I just assumed that was the result of French to English translation and that's as good as it was going to get (as I've noticed awkward language in other French to English translations I've read), but I guess Marvel did it better than Titan did.

I will also say that the guys in the podcast praised the build of the Titan edition, but I'll disagree with them to a degree. I was actually looking in a damaged version of the Titan edition (which is why I didn't purchase it in the end) where part of the spine had ripped at the top (in a way I've never seen any hardcover rip like that), and the cardboard spine was laughably flimsy and not sturdy at all. I didn't think to check for sewn vs. glued binding but I'm sure other pictures on this forum can reveal it and I don't recall any issues with gutter loss in the first issue of the book. The larger art size was great though (in comparison to other oversized editions I've read), and the paper quality seemed very good too. Not that I know what the original coloring looked like, but I didn't get any sense of coloring problems in the Titan edition.

So this is rather disappointing to me. It's either two Marvel American-standard-sized hardcovers with a good translation but not great lettering style, or the Titan oversized/closer-to-European-album-sized with potentially flimsy build and bad translation and editing but nice lettering. With one you don't get the full size and scope of the original works; with the other you don't get a good translation which is important to reading the work. And I take it no third English language publisher is going to step in any time soon to give us the best of both worlds.

I think for right now I'll hold onto my unread Marvel editions and only pick up the Titan edition if I find it for cheap at a used book store.

Thanks for the detailed analysis kodave! I had some suspicions about the translation in Quest for the timebird (also from Titan) and all of my Titan hc's builds feel a bit flimsy. While I'm interested in UW1 I think I will wait for a bargain too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Thanks for the detailed analysis kodave! I had some suspicions about the translation in Quest for the timebird (also from Titan) and all of my Titan hc's builds feel a bit flimsy. While I'm interested in UW1 I think I will wait for a bargain too.
    I had the Titan editions of the two Snowpiercer books earlier this year and I don't recall any build problems with those. They weren't as large as American oversized or European album sized, but the binding and build seemed solid on the HCs. I also don't recall any major problems with the dialogue that implied a translation barrier. I sold them though after not liking the story so I can't double check those.

Amazing Member

Default Jan Kordaat Integraal 1 1941-1946

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Jan Kordaat Integraal 1941-1946
    Dont know if it will be translated in English, is a unknown character for me.
    Bought it on a whim, I think this one will be a bad buy.
    I am struggling to read it.The drawings are too 1940s to me.
    Last edited by darthfrysk; 01-10-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Forgot subject title

Amazing Member

Default How to make a fortune in June 1940

image.jpg

I hope this one gets translated in english!
    An enjoyable heist/war story, with good artwork.

june 1940, the French Central bank forgets to evacuate 2 ton of gold.
    And a gang tries to rob it during the Paris evacuation.

Attached Images Attached Images

Amazing Member

Default Chlorophyl integraal

image.jpgimage.jpg

First 3 stories from 50's Belgium comic stable, the artist Macherot (Clifton, Isabel)
    One of the first comics with talking animals in Europe.
    Good stories with nice clean art.
    Last edited by darthfrysk; 01-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Nice books you got there darthfrysk! I read the first couple of pages of the Chlorophyl book in the store the other day. I thought it was really funny. Perhaps I should get it too. Let us know what you thought about it once you've read it. Also that June 1940 book looks awesome and it's got some of my favourite artists/writers on there. I need that book too!

Amazing Member

Martin,

Chlorophyl is good, I rembered the series with planes, cars etc, but aparently that was a later development.
    June 1940 on the strenth of the cover and a sample page. A good blind buy

Amazing Member

Default Latest Euro buys

image.jpg
    The latest from the Netherlands; continuing the focus on integrales ("omnibus") and some collections.
    Almost no american buys anymore.
    trying to read them together with the last batch from 2015.

Fantastic Member

So, I keep seeing the Incal and Metabarons books popping up in varying threads. I'm not that unfamiliar with European comics (I have a full run, though mostly unread, of Heavy Metal). What kind of comics/films are they similar to?

I think some of Metabarons has been published in Heavy Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    So, I keep seeing the Incal and Metabarons books popping up in varying threads. I'm not that unfamiliar with European comics (I have a full run, though mostly unread, of Heavy Metal). What kind of comics/films are they similar to?

I think some of Metabarons has been published in Heavy Metal.
    I've seen people claiming that everybody borrows from Incal but I can't really point to anything. Regardless they are good books, I'm not that crazy about the Incal but I think the Metabarons is superawesome, really over the top, balls to the walls ideas and execution.