Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Racci's recommendations are good and they are basically the must have-s but they are very different. Tintin is all ages stuff, so don't read it as you read like say: Sleeper or Watchmen. Asterix is greatall ages stuff and a must read as well.
    I would add Peter Pan too (not all ages at all).

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys. I guess I should have been more specific. I'm familiar with Tintin (took French in college) and have seen a lot of Moebius' work, but I don't know if I'm extremely interested in those books. Well, I'd love to have the Incal but I need to find it at a decent price first, and I may wait to see if IST ever gets another shipment.

If you could draw a comparison and say the aforementioned recommendations are akin to Marvel's Golden Age stuff, which more "modern classics" would you compare to the likes of Hellboy/Brubaker's Captain America/Hickman's Fantastic Four? Also, they don't have to be long ongoings, I just used the three examples in terms of a more modern writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by awalk1227 View Post
    Hey guys! Looking for a recommendation for my first endeavor into Euro comics! I almost bought the "Swords of Glass" Deluxe HC as I've seen it a bunch here and it looks gorgeous. I held off though, to see if there are any essential/classic/acclaimed Euro books that I may be missing! This thread has been excellent for recommendations for new and upcoming books, but I'm interested in the "must-have" for any collector type books. Here's some info to help:

-Love oversized/HC/Omnibus books
    -I read pretty much everything: Superhero/Sci-Fi/Horror/Humor/Slice of Life/Crime/etc
    -I do actually have the first Blacksad collection from Dark Horse and love it, but I guess I didn't consider it a bonafide European book until right now!
    Thorgal.

Thorgal.

Let's not forget about Thorgal.

Last but not least Thorgal.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Thorgal.

Thorgal.

Let's not forget about Thorgal.

Last but not least Thorgal.
    I haven't read the Thorgal spin-offs yet, are they worth it?

"Deviant Virtues" by Loisel/Guirec from Humanoids:

http://www.amazon.com/Deviant-Virtue...ords=Humanoids

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    "Deviant Virtues" by Loisel/Guirec from Humanoids:

http://www.amazon.com/Deviant-Virtue...ords=Humanoids
    Great find! Good to see it will be published at full size.

Well, it's Loisel so I assume I should buy it...*sigh...

If the next Asterix will be the best-selling comic worldwide this year, then this should be a contender for second place:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...fter-20-years/

Yeah really looking forward to that new Corto!

Also I had a really good time reading crimenoir Fatale last year and the good thing is that it will be published by Titan Comics later this year!! The art is magnificent, as is the story, the absurdity, the nudity etc. Fantastic!

Check some preview pages below and here too (NSFW): http://www.bdgest.com/preview-1546-B...136.1351176294

Last edited by MartinNL; 05-14-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Oooh, certainly interested in the new Corto. Just getting into this series via IDW's new editions. Hopefully they'll handle the US release of this new volume.

Did anybody buy Throne of ice from Humanoids? Or did anybody read it? Opinions? It looks interesting but I'm not blown away by the art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Did anybody buy Throne of ice from Humanoids? Or did anybody read it? Opinions? It looks interesting but I'm not blown away by the art style.
    I think the art is ok, nothing too special though. I just finished reading the first twenty or so pages, but thought it was too cliché to continue reading. I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters, nor did I find the dialogues interesting. It has some sort of Game of Thrones feel to it, but somehow despite me liking the HBO show (a lot), this book did not connect with me.
    Last edited by MartinNL; 05-14-2015 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    I think the art is ok, nothing too special though. I read the first twenty or so pages, but thought it was too cliché to continue reading. I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters. It has some sort of Game of Thrones feel to it, but somehow despite me liking that HBO show, this book did not connect with me.
    I have a feeling they published it because it's similar to GoT. I'm not watching the tv show because I don't need that much drama and suffering in my life though so Throne of ice won't appeal to me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I have a feeling they published it because it's similar to GoT. I'm not watching the tv show because I don't need that much drama and suffering in my life though so Throne of ice won't appeal to me that way.
    Yeah I think so too and also there's the obvious name change. In French it's called Jaemon, after the boy that is taken away from his mother after the bad queen murders his mother when he's just a baby. The boy is taken away and raised by someone else who told the killed mother she was going to be killed and that he'll take him and raise him. So she must die and he must live since that's their destiny. blablabla... Like I said cliché. The whole Antarctica thing was something that sounded interesting, but since thousands of years ago there was no snow on that continent this story could have taken place anywhere.

GoT is fantastic though!!

Spectacular Member

Wanted to thank you guys for recommendations! Just got my copy of The Incal HC direct from Humanoids, and Metabarons is on its way via IST. Can't wait to read both!