Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    What are some significant Italian books that haven't yet been translated to English? I'm in Rome on Monday and looking to pick these up:
    -Viva Valentina!
    -Caravaggio V1 by Manara

Italian masters I like Crepax, Manara, Toppi, Pratt.

I have the DH Manara collection, Archaia Toppi books, and am picking up the Fantagraphics Crepax books and the IDW Corto books.
    There's quite a lot of Dylan Dog, Nathan Never and Martin Mystere that haven't been collected. Dark Horse did a little bit, but it only scratched the surface. Diabolik had a handful of English translations, but nothing authoritative. Alan Ford is one of the big series that hasn't been translated, here. I'd love to see a nice collection of Hugo Pratt's Asso di Picche (Ace of Spades) which was a costumed superhero, ala Batman. I'd also like to see some of his Argentinian stuff in English, like Ernie Pike and Sgt Kirk.

Vittorio Giardino's stuff has been translated; but, a lot of it is out of print, in English. He did Joans Fink (aka A Jew in Communist Prague), Little Ego, No Pasaran!, Hungarian Rhapsody, Oriental Gateway, Sam Pezzo, and a couple of other books with his Max Friedman character ( who appears in Hungarian Rhapsody and Oriental Gateway). Sturmtruppen hasn't been translated to English, to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    There's quite a lot of Dylan Dog, Nathan Never and Martin Mystere that haven't been collected. Dark Horse did a little bit, but it only scratched the surface. Diabolik had a handful of English translations, but nothing authoritative. Alan Ford is one of the big series that hasn't been translated, here. I'd love to see a nice collection of Hugo Pratt's Asso di Picche (Ace of Spades) which was a costumed superhero, ala Batman. I'd also like to see some of his Argentinian stuff in English, like Ernie Pike and Sgt Kirk.

Vittorio Giardino's stuff has been translated; but, a lot of it is out of print, in English. He did Joans Fink (aka A Jew in Communist Prague), Little Ego, No Pasaran!, Hungarian Rhapsody, Oriental Gateway, Sam Pezzo, and a couple of other books with his Max Friedman character ( who appears in Hungarian Rhapsody and Oriental Gateway). Sturmtruppen hasn't been translated to English, to my knowledge.
    Isn't there a small publisher, I think they are called eclipse which started doing some obscure European stuff like Zagor and Dylan dog? Although I'm pretty sure they do undersized paperbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Isn't there a small publisher, I think they are called eclipse which started doing some obscure European stuff like Zagor and Dylan dog? Although I'm pretty sure they do undersized paperbacks
    Yeah, in poking around, I found that Epicenter Comics is starting to do some of that, having begun last year. I'm a little out of touch with some of these things, since I'm not working as a bookseller anymore.

Alan Ford is still the series I'd like to see in English. I've got some PDFs; but, they are in Croatian. I can follow the story, based on the art; but, not much else.

There's a ton of great European stuff I'd like to see translated in English: Mortadelo y Filemon, Buck Danny (Cineboog has about 4 volumes; but they are relatively recent and there are tons more), Barbe Rouge, Gaston, Tangy et Laverdure, Michel Vaillant, Cuto, Cinco Por Infinito (not that Zero Patrol mess that Neal Adams butchered), Capitan Trueno, El Guerrerro del Antifaz, Les Bidouchens, Fantomas and Kaliman, from Mexico (as well as the original Anibal5 stuff, not the more modern Humanoids stuff), other works from Argentina, Commissario Spada (from Italy), and a bunch more that escape my memory.
    Last edited by codystarbuck; 06-30-2016 at 06:15 PM.

I'd love to see a nice collection of Hugo Pratt's Asso di Picche (Ace of Spades) which was a costumed superhero, ala Batman. I'd also like to see some of his Argentinian stuff in English, like Ernie Pike and Sgt Kirk.
    I also ended up picking up the first HC of Sgt Kirk in Italian. They had the whole run split across 4 HCs.

Yeah, in poking around, I found that Epicenter Comics is starting to do some of that, having begun last year. I'm a little out of touch with some of these things, since I'm not working as a bookseller anymore.
    oh yeah, Epicenter. I knew it starts with an "e"

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    I also ended up picking up the first HC of Sgt Kirk in Italian. They had the whole run split across 4 HCs.
    I haven't seen more than a panel or two of it. I have PDFs of Ernie Pike, in Spanish, which I studied in school and have enough fluency to get the jist of the story and can easily get a translation of anything unfamiliar.

here is the fifth Deluxe Oversize volume of Astérix (at the olympics). They have also tried to retrieve original art of short stories published in Pilote magazine back then
    http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...s-version.html

The collection so far:

600pix.jpg

from the Euro comics FB page:
    Bittersweet news regarding the new US edition of José Muñoz & Carlos Sampayo's Alack Sinner by IDW Publishing / Library of American Comics:
    Editor Dean Mullaney has pushed back the publication date to 2017 because Carlos Sampayo is revising the existing Spanish language text to be more accurate to his original: "We obviously want to translate from Sampayo’s approved Spanish script rather than translate second-hand from the French."

Fantastic Member

I'll travel to the Italy in a few weeks (Milano, Sermione, Venice) - so dear Italian friends, may I ask you for some recommendations regarding comic book stores (especially in Milano)?. And where may I look for some Milo Manara exhibitions? Thank you.

Fantastic Member

IST said Alack Sinner was shipping last week, but it ain't available. Amazon has it late August but that doesn't mean anything (see Collected Torpedo). IDW Euro Comics has it in 2017 but don't respond to tweets. Anybody got a straight answer?

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    IST said Alack Sinner was shipping last week, but it ain't available. Amazon has it late August but that doesn't mean anything (see Collected Torpedo). IDW Euro Comics has it in 2017 but don't respond to tweets. Anybody got a straight answer?
    See my post 2 posts above yours ��

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    I'll travel to the Italy in a few weeks (Milano, Sermione, Venice) - so dear Italian friends, may I ask you for some recommendations regarding comic book stores (especially in Milano)?. And where may I look for some Milo Manara exhibitions? Thank you.
    I highly recommend the bookstore LaFeltrinelli. There are numerous throughout Roma and Milano, some with larger selections than others. Italian comic shops carry floppies, while bookstores carry collected TPB and OHC.

In terms of Manara exhibits, they're typically limited engagements. There's prior been showcases in Siena and Roma; I believe there's currently one in Paris.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    See my post 2 posts above yours ��
    D'oh. Call me Mr. Magoo.

An absolute Euro classic is coming back to English speaking countries: Maurice Tillieux' "Gil Jordan". And it's going to be published by Fantagraphics. They published one volume before, back in 2011, but they seem to finally have decided to continue the series:

https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Thousand-...5544737&sr=1-7

Last edited by LordJulius; 10-04-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    An absolute Euro classic is coming back to English speaking countries: Maurice Tillieux' "Gil Jordan". And it's going to be published by Fantagraphics. They published one volume before, back in 2011, but they seem to finally have decided to continue the series:

https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Thousand-...5544737&sr=1-7

I was thinking about Murder by high tide but tried to find a good deal on it and then gave up. So you say it's worth getting it?