Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I was planning to pick up the paperbacks but thanks for the heads up on this! Good to know that's what it takes to Cinebook to release a hc, hopefully it will be a quality one and hopefully it sells like hotcakes and we will see some XIII and Blake & Mortimer hardcovers too.

15781124_1134369370016892_527817510261832713_n.jpg

★ ★ ★ GREAT NEWS FOR 2017 ★ ★ ★
    ★★★ Exclusive Eurocomics USA Invasion announcement ★★★
    Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche arrives to America courtesy of IDW Publishing's EuroComics imprint.

Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche is a popular long-running detective series created by French cartoonist Alain Dodier, born in Dunkirk , 1955.

Since 1985, the inquiries of private investigator Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche are serialized first in the venerable weekly magazine Journal Spirou and subsequently collected in graphic albums by Éditions Dupuis, with 25 volumes published so far.

A two time winner of the Festival International de la Bande Dessinée d'Angoulême awards, for "Best Series" in 2010 and "Best Series for the Youth" in 1997, Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche has been translated to 11 languages, including English from next Fall onwards courtesy of IDW Publishing. The plan is to publish each original book, of 56 pages each, one at a time, starting with the first one "The Shadow Killer" in September 2017.

The protagonist, whose name is obviously inspired on celebrated English writer and humourist Jerome K. Jerome, is a young private detective who, aided by his girlfriend Babette, an air hostess, unravels lives and mysteries. The search for the truth is his only motive, he neither passes moral judgment nor always necessarily delivers the culprit to the police.

JKJ stories are completely integrated into contemporary times, usually in Northern France. The universe in which the stories are based is as important as the story itself. The neighborhood where Jerome lives, his friends and his fiancee, form a homogeneous ensemble that is built as the albums go on. Each graphic novel takes the reader to the discovery of new characters whose lives our two heroes seek to understand in order to unravel the enigma.

Jérôme K. Jérôme Bloche is yet another fine acquisition by the exemplary EuroComics label, and it won't be the last..
    https://www.facebook.com/EurocomicsU...type=3&theater

all of these IDW-Eurocomics releases look intriguing to me probably will get this one as well.

Anyone read Little Tulip by Jerome Charyn & Francois Boucq ? Sounds really interesting:

A serial killer haunts the city streets, a stalker of isolated women who leaves a Santa Claus hat at the scene of his crimes. Pavel, a Russian émigré, assists the police investigation as a sketch artist. But Pavel's true calling is as a tattoo artist, and the so-called Bad Santa killings conjure up memories of the nightmarish world in which he learned his craft: a Russian prison camp that shattered his childhood and destroyed his family. Shifting between the living hell of a 1940s Siberian gulag and the crime-ridden chaos of New York City during the 1970s, this graphic novel's stunning artwork provides an atmospheric backdrop to its tale of corruption, murder, and revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by theusher View Post
    Anyone read Little Tulip by Jerome Charyn & Francois Boucq ? Sounds really interesting:
    it really sounds interesting. Is the Dover tpb oversized?

Yeah. It's really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it really sounds interesting. Is the Dover tpb oversized?
    I think so. These are the dimensions listed on Book Depository:

210 x 279 x 5mm

I think so. These are the dimensions listed on Book Depository:

210 x 279 x 5mm
    same on wordery and amazon. Just checked the Magician's wife and that has the same height as well. Weird for some reason I thought the Dover tpbs are standard sized. Might pick these two up they look great.

I've ordered Little Tulip. Billy Budd, KGB and The Magician's Wife seem great too. They're next if I like this one.

Is Cape Horn as good as it seems? Any other books available that have the Western vibe or a warrior (historical or otherwise) vibe?

I was browsing through the thread and noticed Templar. The artwork seems quite cartoony which isn't a problem in itself but is the book like a PG film? I'm not interested in a book about medieval times that doesn't show blood etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Is Cape Horn as good as it seems? Any other books available that have the Western vibe or a warrior (historical or otherwise) vibe?

I was browsing through the thread and noticed Templar. The artwork seems quite cartoony which isn't a problem in itself but is the book like a PG film? I'm not interested in a book about medieval times that doesn't show blood etc.
    I have the cape horn ohc but haven't read it. I had a sudden interest in Humanoids books and bought a few that I regretted and realised I will probably never read CH. Trying to sell it for a while now.

Templar on the other hand is excellent! It's quite historically accurate as far as I can tell, no supernatural or science-fiction element to it, straight up historical adventure. Can't remember blood but, probably there is some but there are quite a few people who gets burned alive.

If you don't mind sci-fi in your historical stuff Millennium from Humanoids is really good, the violence in it is quite explicit and I think it juggles with the supernatural elements quite well, it's not as gimmicky as, say Cowboys vs Aliens.

Also, not European but Prince Valiant!

Cape Horn is certainly one of the better Humanoids books, precisely because it isn't one of those out-there SF/fantasy-pseudo-manga style mash-up books Humanoids has been publishing so many of. It is also a bit different from other Westerns as it is set in the the far south of South America.

If you're looking for great, straight-up Western, you should consider Jodo's Bouncer, Doug Wildey's Rio and Kubert's Tex. Of course you can also try to get the Graphitti Blueberry books - at least the ones still available.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 02-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Cheers, I'll check those out. Already got Bouncer, pretty sure I'd place it in my top 5 all time.

Funny you mention manga mash up sci fi. The one and only time I ventured outside of Jodorowsky from Humanoids was Marshalls and it was pretty terrible. Mostly because it was bland and busy at the same time.

Cheers, I'll check those out. Already got Bouncer, pretty sure I'd place it in my top 5 all time.

Funny you mention manga mash up sci fi. The one and only time I ventured outside of Jodorowsky from Humanoids was Marshalls and it was pretty terrible. Mostly because it was bland and busy at the same time.
    Yeah, many of their titles are and seem to be like that. That's why I haven't bought any Humanoids title in a while; I think they have already published their best titles.

In general it's a shame that most European westerns haven't been published in the US. While Blueberry remains the best western ever, imo, titles like Cartland, Buddy Longway, Comanche, Durango, Mac Coy or (a recent title) Undertaker are not far behind and need to be translated as well asap.

Any of yous read District 14? I'm on the same page with these mash up type books but D14 does this on overdrive and it's pretty fun and sometimes surprisingly dark.

Crusades was entertaining too.