Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Secret Wars," "Star Wars" Continue to Lead Marvel to Top of Sales Charts in June 2015

Marvel's one-two franchise punch helps the publisher maintain its #1 position, even while DC Comics sees strong debuts for several series.

Full article here.

Many of those DC launches are terrible. Enjoy them while they last, I guess.

X-men 92 #1 was a top 10 seller and nearly topped 100k? This pleases me. Hope Marvel takes notice and makes it an ongoing after Secret Wars.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member

People didn't seem to care about DC's new diverse titles, guess we'll be going back to the super dark & gritty stories featuring Batman's every supporting character in the spotlight. Can't wait.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    X-men 92 #1 was a top 10 seller and nearly topped 100k? This pleases me. Hope Marvel takes notice and makes it an ongoing after Secret Wars.
    I hope X-men '92 sold great for the digital release since it was digital first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    The titles are debuting above 20,000 (many of them in the 40,000 range), but the problem is that it's their first issue. That means they've generally hit their high water mark already, they're only going to go down.

It unfortunately continues to prove that the only DC superhero capturing people's imaginations is Batman and to a lesser extent the collective Justice League. And that isn't even enough to help Catwoman, who has one of those titles hovering in the 20,000s.
    Last edited by macattack; 07-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.

How many times does the third issue of an event series have a higher sales than the previous issue? That has to be seen as a success.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    The titles are debuting above 20,000 (many of them in the 40,000 range), but the problem is that it's their first issue. That means they've generally hit their high water mark already, they're only going to go down.

It unfortunately continues to prove that the only DC superhero capturing people's imaginations is Batman and to a lesser extent the collective Justice League. And that isn't even enough to help Catwoman, who has one of those titles hovering in the 20,000s.
    I meant the sales ofcourse.

It's a damn shame. Section 8 is amazing.

I think DC is primarily lacking in the marketing department.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    How many times does the third issue of an event series have a higher sales than the previous issue? That has to be seen as a success.
    You are correct!

Fantastic Member

I'm sure DC must be feeling bad for not using Marvel's gimmick of releasing everything as a new #1 issue once every few months.

DC You didn't really change the sales of many books. I see in mostly Superman books, but that's kind of it.

Glad to see Squirel Girl is within cancellation range. A pity Loki is in cancellation range too. Those two will likely be gone after Secret Wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
    Yeah, surprised by some of them. I thought Batman might have maintained the Joker finale bump, but otherwise a dip is still expected, but Batgirl took quite the hit. A few books got helped out by it, most of the launches look decent, if retailers were cautious it could mean less of a drop with issue #2.

Speaking of which, as much as Secret Wars and Star Wars are dominating the charts, a lot of those tie ins took quite the drop with #2, and this month was a lot of #1s that will be #2s next month. Either Marvel has a bunch more #1s for July, or those #2s and #3s are going to lead to Marvel coming back down to Earth just a little bit.

(Note: just checked this before saving this post because I was about to ask, but the DC books were returnable, which means Diamond lowers the estimates for the DC titles, meaning they did not do as bad as it seems)

Fantastic Member

Is it just me or is it really bad that there are only 7 ongoing comics above 50,000 sales that have lasted over a year?

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    Is it just me or is it really bad that there are only 7 ongoing comics above 50,000 sales that have lasted over a year?
    It is really bad. Ten years ago it was three times that many if not more.

Enough of the old audience has been alienated away to drop sales but nobody new has come in to buy comics, even the diverse titles (look at Gotham Academy barely treading water). Even the much-celebrated Ms. Marvel is in the 30,000 range (though apparently digital sales are much better). Batgirl isn't doing much better after its own well-publicized relaunch.

The Big Two are sick, and their remedies are not working. It's not a diversity issue. It's a storytelling issue.
    Last edited by macattack; 07-08-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    Glad to see Squirel Girl is within cancellation range. A pity Loki is in cancellation range too. Those two will likely be gone after Secret Wars.
    But this is Loki's 15th issue, and yet it still is higher than Squirrel Girl's 6th issue.
    What I think will be gone for many years after SW is Deathlok. It's one of the lowest selling Marvel's 616 ongoing comics in recent history. The closer thing I remember is X-men: Pixie strikes back, with 9,746 on the final issue, but that was a mini.

BANNED

Just to let you guys know,Squirrel Girl's 1st , 2nd and 3rd issue were on its 3rd printing while the 4th and 5th are on its second printing. So I think TUSG is doing well.