Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Whatever happened to Simon Baz?

He was kind of all over the place a few years ago, and then just kind of disappeared while I wasn't looking. Can anyone some up his whole deal for me?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    He was kind of all over the place a few years ago, and then just kind of disappeared while I wasn't looking. Can anyone some up his whole deal for me?
    He was yet another GL in a world that didn't need another GL.

I was hoping to get an actual non-sarcastic answer. You're being the guy your avatar says not to be.

Simon Baz will probably show up in the Mobius vs Darkseid war.

Mighty Member

The last place he showed up was Red Lanterns #37, I think.

Theoretically he should be stuck in the same universe as every other Green Lantern in Lost Army, but I have not heard if there are plans for him in that book. Maybe he's one of the few exceptions who's still in the main universe, but again nobody's mentioned any plans for him.

BANNED

I was hoping to get an actual non-sarcastic answer. You're being the guy your avatar says not to be.
    That was the real answer. The GL books dropped in sales (and interest) after Johns left and so any place a writer needed a Green Lantern she pretty much used one of the previous better-known ones. There was no specific storyline saying where he went or anything.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

He's right though. Simon Baz was a Geoff Johns creation unveiled right at the end of his run on GL. The subsequent creative teams haven't known what to do with him resulting in the odd guest appearance. There was always the possibility that that would end up being the case. Especially now that the GL franchise has contracted down to the three titles. You'll see him again in crossovers etc.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 07-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.

I liked Simon, but we really need to reign in the Lanterns. I love them, but I'd like to see them take on some other intergalactic foes than each other. (I'm behind in the book, so maybe this is happening, but that was my last impression of the series.)

Spectacular Member

DC should really kill off a couple lanterns (and not bring them back after a couple weeks).

Ultimate Member

He was not being rude.

He was 100% honest.

As far as we can figure out-Simon was created to replace John Stewart. Who as another posted listed was slated to be killed off before the writer refused and left the GLC book. Once that got out and varying levels of backlash got tossed at DC over it.

Simon and pretty much Jessica Cruz got screwed. So whatever plans for him were scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He was not being rude.

He was 100% honest.

As far as we can figure out-Simon was created to replace John Stewart. Who as another posted listed was slated to be killed off before the writer refused and left the GLC book. Once that got out and varying levels of backlash got tossed at DC over it.

Simon and pretty much Jessica Cruz got screwed. So whatever plans for him were scrapped.
    How is Jessica screwed? She's got a role in Darkseid War and teaming with Hal, and considering her powers is just as likely to stay on the book once Hal leaves again. She's got better chances than Simon does at this point.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    He was yet another GL in a world that didn't need another GL.
    So true, great answer

BANNED

That's the problem when Geoff Johns (or any other writer for that matter) more or less abandons a project he is the only one that fully in support of before the project has gotten any traction and no one knows what to do with now.
    Plus, its perhaps doubly difficult for Baz as is he sort of a Geoff Johns stand-in within DC the same way Stargirl is a stand-in for his late sister. Like, what do you do with a character that's essentially your boss?

But as Glenn says, he is also another human GL in a company that already has too many of them. And now he's been overtaken in the inside curve by Cruz's Power Ring.

R[QUOTE=Outside_85;1339243]That's the problem when Geoff Johns (or any other writer for that matter) more or less abandons a project he is the only one that fully in support of before the project has gotten any traction and no one knows what to do with now.
    Plus, its perhaps doubly difficult for Baz as is he sort of a Geoff Johns stand-in within DC the same way Stargirl is a stand-in for his late sister. Like, what do you do with a character that's essentially your boss?

But as Glenn says, he is also another human GL in a company that already has too many of them. And now he's been overtaken in the inside curve by Cruz's Power Ring.[/QUOTE
    That doesn't seem to be a problem where star girl is concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That doesn't seem to be a problem where star girl is concerned.
    No, because Johns wrote Stargirl for several years as part of his JSA run that she became the symbol of 'old along with the new' spirit of that team. So when he handed over the team to the next writers, they knew how Stargirl ticked. Johns wrote Baz for something like a year, barely, then his GL run ended and left Baz stranded in deep space with the others and the notion that Hal was the only GL you could have on Earth.