Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

He should have been included in the JLU book after JLA ended. He would have fit into that series concept way more than the characters Lemire used in that series. Hell Vibe would have worked much better too.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Because the comic books are published in America so it makes sense to have American lead characters.
    Hmmm, kinda. It makes less and less sense as time passes and access spreads (the comics ARE sold worldwide, after all). And it makes no "logical" sense, so it can be a turn off, yeah.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Because everyone has their favorite Green Lantern, and having a favorite Green Lantern means that all other Green Lanterns must be killed off.
    Man. Hal goes nuts ONE TIME and a precedent is set..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    He was kind of all over the place a few years ago, and then just kind of disappeared while I wasn't looking. Can anyone some up his whole deal for me?
    That's the problem when Geoff Johns (or any other writer for that matter) more or less abandons a project he is the only one that fully in support of before the project has gotten any traction and no one knows what to do with now.
    Plus, its perhaps doubly difficult for Baz as is he sort of a Geoff Johns stand-in within DC the same way Stargirl is a stand-in for his late sister. Like, what do you do with a character that's essentially your boss?

But as Glenn says, he is also another human GL in a company that already has too many of them. And now he's been overtaken in the inside curve by Cruz's Power Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    He should have been included in the JLU book after JLA ended. He would have fit into that series concept way more than the characters Lemire used in that series. Hell Vibe would have worked much better too.
    Speaking of vibe, I wonder what they're gonna do with him now...

R[QUOTE=Outside_85;1339243]That's the problem when Geoff Johns (or any other writer for that matter) more or less abandons a project he is the only one that fully in support of before the project has gotten any traction and no one knows what to do with now.
    Plus, its perhaps doubly difficult for Baz as is he sort of a Geoff Johns stand-in within DC the same way Stargirl is a stand-in for his late sister. Like, what do you do with a character that's essentially your boss?

But as Glenn says, he is also another human GL in a company that already has too many of them. And now he's been overtaken in the inside curve by Cruz's Power Ring.[/QUOTE
    That doesn't seem to be a problem where star girl is concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That doesn't seem to be a problem where star girl is concerned.
    No, because Johns wrote Stargirl for several years as part of his JSA run that she became the symbol of 'old along with the new' spirit of that team. So when he handed over the team to the next writers, they knew how Stargirl ticked. Johns wrote Baz for something like a year, barely, then his GL run ended and left Baz stranded in deep space with the others and the notion that Hal was the only GL you could have on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    No, because Johns wrote Stargirl for several years as part of his JSA run that she became the symbol of 'old along with the new' spirit of that team. So when he handed over the team to the next writers, they knew how Stargirl ticked. Johns wrote Baz for something like a year, barely, then his GL run ended and left Baz stranded in deep space with the others and the notion that Hal was the only GL you could have on Earth.
    Except for justice league, he's not on earth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Except for justice league, he's not on earth.
    Still, more than what John, Kyle and Guy is allowed.

Well, after Soule's run, Guy and Simon are the only Earth Lanterns, seeing as the Reds control 2814.

Mighty Member

then his GL run ended and left Baz stranded in deep space with the others and the notion that Hal was the only GL you could have on Earth.
    What? That's not how his run ended. After Johns left Charles Soule had Guy Gardner ban every GL except Baz from 2814. Venditti and Soule both used Baz a couple times and I think he was in Kindt's last JLA issue. I doubt Baz is actually banned from appearing anywhere, he's just low on the list when writers want lanterns to appear in their books.

I know Hal is appearing in Justice League, and Johns has implied John and the GLC will show up in the Darkseid War arc, so I'm hoping Baz will show up too.

I'm hoping he appears in Lost Army, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    What? That's not how his run ended. After Johns left Charles Soule had Guy Gardner ban every GL except Baz from 2814. Venditti and Soule both used Baz a couple times and I think he was in Kindt's last JLA issue. I doubt Baz is actually banned from appearing anywhere, he's just low on the list when writers want lanterns to appear in their books.

I know Hal is appearing in Justice League, and Johns has implied John and the GLC will show up in the Darkseid War arc, so I'm hoping Baz will show up too.

I'm hoping he appears in Lost Army, too.
    Not as 'in-story' actually banned from returning to Earth, I meant there appears to be an editorial decision that Hal is the Green Lantern on Earth and that the others just remain in deep space. Hence why neither John, Kyle or even Guy was asked to return to Earth and take Hal's spot on the League after the first with Wonder Woman.

Still, more than what John, Kyle and Guy is allowed.
    well, I'm not missing them, but i wish there was at least on GL based on earth, handling the menaces that come up there. as For jessica cruz, well, I'd really rather have Star Sapphire fill that role.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The thing is, with a universe as vast as ours is, with billions of alien races, our mudball gets to have 5 or 6 GLs, and in a planet of billions, with hundreds of countries, they all coincidentlly hail from the same freaking country? I'm sorry, but it's not being creative, and it does get a bit hard to swallow.

Peace
    The fact that 5 of these GLs, all of they were american MEN as well is just bizarre.
    Only makes sense if the ring works by the Silver Age proximity rules (seek the nearest, not just the best), which was why Guy Gardner in his Warrior times used to complain he could have been Green Lantern, but Hal was closest. And as we found out in the Silver Age, the ring also considered Kal-El a potential candidate, but Krypton was in a different sector.

Personally, I think Simon Baz suffers by not being very distinguished from John Stewart at all (there's already a black dude), not to mention bad reaction from the apparent stereotypes he started with (Black Muslim Green Lantern with a gun, thug-like mask and tattoos? Who was a carjacker? Dude...).

Funny thing about the gun is that I actually like the reasoning - reminds me of Jack T. Chance (someone please retcon his death), althrough the justification was different - Chance executed the criminals from his world filled with psychos after he beat them with the Ring, Baz used the gun as a back-up weapon (because his ring was on the fritz early on). It would be cool if, in future appearances, he upgraded his gun and bullets with some nifty but reliable alien tech. More lanterns should pack back-up weaponry, I'm surprised that John Stewart, former Marine, didn't do it first.

Another problem of Simon, I think, is that he's... very politically correct. Me, I would have written him not as american but as foreigner (I'm thinking Nigerian or Somalian), quite politically incorrect and holding very controversial views that are common in muslim countries. Yet, he's still a cool guy you can drink in a bar - just don't say "Israel" near him. I liked how he kept insisting on NOT calling the New Gods as Gods - way to show 'em, Baz!

Also didn't help he was introduced in a quite bad time for introductions - in the middle of the ending saga of Geoff Johns' ten-year run. It was the time to let loose, not for a rookie lantern tale.

Unfortunately, the GL franchise has collapsed so even Kyle has nothing much to do in Omega Men. Geoff Johns seems unable to even include Simon Baz in the Darkseid vs Mobius war since the parademons all become Lanterns. The rainbow brite mythology probably is finished and GL mythology needs new updates.