Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Why are people surprised at the way Val is acting. She has been written like a dick for a while now. It's just in this comic, it's been taken up a notch.
    Well, it's not surprising since she's been raised as Victor's daughter on Battleworld., dispite having Susan as her mother.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Why are people surprised at the way Val is acting. She has been written like a dick for a while now. It's just in this comic, it's been taken up a notch.
    If she is causing other kids to kill each other I'd say that is not just a notch. Tell me where she plotted to kill someone in Hickman's Fantastic Four. And of course you know that this Val might be from the multiverse. We won't know for sure until we get more reveals on that.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Well, it's not surprising since she's been raised as Victor's daughter on Battleworld., dispite having Susan as her mother.
    Even when they were back on 616 Earth, Victor was very careful about how he behaved when Val was around. For example, when they had the big fight over her in Latveria, Doom told his guards not to attack Sue esp in front of Val. There was that one scene at the end of her stay where he was a bit relieved when she decided to go home so he could take care of some other things now that she was gone. They just showed him looking at the solar system. But this was before we knew he was Rabam Alal or found the Molecule Man. But all that aside, do we know which Val this is?

That's not to say she didn't know exactly what he's capable of. If it wasn't for young Victor, Nathaniel Richards would have been killed by the Beast Richards in the Great Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Bit of Fridge Brilliance: Doom as presented in the different tie-in books is how the citizens of the various domains PERCEIVE Doom, as lowly mortals. Just as how different religions have differing views of God in the real world, thus do Doom's subjects all have different views of Doom.
    The only problem with that is that would mean that Doom's actions are determined by the beliefs of his world's citizens, and he himself doesn't have any control over what he does or does not choose to do. It takes away any free will from him, either to promote ersatz Hunger Games, or not to do so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    The only problem with that is that would mean that Doom's actions are determined by the beliefs of his world's citizens, and he himself doesn't have any control over what he does or does not choose to do. It takes away any free will from him, either to promote ersatz Hunger Games, or not to do so.
    Reread what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying that the citizens' beliefs determine his actions. I'm saying that it's how his actions are PERCEIVED. BIG difference.

Reread what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying that the citizens' beliefs determine his actions. I'm saying that it's how his actions are PERCEIVED. BIG difference.
    So did Doom himself commission Valeria to set up death matches at his school, yes or no? There must be one and only one correct answer according to Doom himself, according to his own perception of what actions he has or has not taken, what orders he has or has not given.

If he did, he's evil. If not, then Valeria and/or whoever convinced her these were Doom's wishes are evil.

But there are one kind of dick and other kind of dick... and this Val is not the same kind of dick that we normally see in Val!!!

Okay few things I've noticed in this thread that didn't cross my mind when reading it.

First, the worlds that were saved are all going to have some varied differences. I like the idea that they each perceive Doom differently but in this case the Academy is made up of children from all over Doomworld. They wouldn't have one unified vision of Lord Doom they would all have different biases based on where they came from.

Second, this "planet" has been around for 8 years. This means that Val can't be Reed's daughter, unless Doom stopped her from aging she is Doom's child. While there seems to be a lot of different Steve's, Tony's, Bucky's, Bruce's, and Magneto's there only seems to be one version of the FF family. Valeria Doom is going to be a very different person than Valeria Richards. One that would be a supporter of the "Survival of the Fittest" mentality that the Academy is clearly operating on.

Third, this is at least the 4th version of Bucky we've seen and all of them have been heroes. It seems like he was in charge of teams and took personal interest in this one. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaked the plans to Cho, and manipulated the game so the largest number of kids would be aware, with the goal of building a resistance force to fight the rule of Doom.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Okay few things I've noticed in this thread that didn't cross my mind when reading it.

First, the worlds that were saved are all going to have some varied differences. I like the idea that they each perceive Doom differently but in this case the Academy is made up of children from all over Doomworld. They wouldn't have one unified vision of Lord Doom they would all have different biases based on where they came from.
    True, but there is still only one Doom, who either does or does not order or condone teenage death matches. I would like to know which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    True, but there is still only one Doom, who either does or does not order or condone teenage death matches. I would like to know which it is.
    Of course he is. What Doom are you thinking of that wouldn't? He wants a better world and routinely sentences people to death in order to get it. Still I'm not sure Doom even cares about the Academy any more. He seemed to be having a crisis of faith until Reed showed up, and has been leaving the world to be run by the people he's given the power to. I think the Academy is under Val's management now. The real question is if Valeria Doom is the type that person that condones it. I think she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Of course he is. What Doom are you thinking of that wouldn't? He wants a better world and routinely sentences people to death in order to get it. Still I'm not sure Doom even cares about the Academy any more. He seemed to be having a crisis of faith until Reed showed up, and has been leaving the world to be run by the people he's given the power to. I think the Academy is under Val's management now. The real question is if Valeria Doom is the type that person that condones it. I think she is.
    Valeria is an arse....just like Doom. I think these are the "616" versions of Sue and Valeria. And Doom is creepingly molding valeria to be his next Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    Valeria is an arse....just like Doom. I think these are the "616" versions of Sue and Valeria. And Doom is creepingly molding valeria to be his next Sue.
    I was going to say that Marvel would never dare to do that, but then I remembered this is the company that had Doom skin his girlfriend alive to make himself a suit and fed her soul to demons, and the company that had Carol Denvers become her own son's lover and Nightcrawler become his own sister's groom...so almost nothing is too creepy for them...

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    The problem with that is that it's been said several times in SW that it has been 8 years since Doomworld was formed. That means that Val hasn't aged at all in 8 years, or that she is actually Doom's daughter with whatever Sue he found. I don't think anyone that was on the 616 life-raft survived except the 8 that Strange just woke up.

Great issue reminded me Avengers Arena.

I hope after SW Marvel continue Runaways missed a good title with youths heroes.

Battleworld is a world where only the strongest survive then does not surprise me that kind of experience or Val attitude.

Astonishing Member

Bit of Fridge Brilliance: Doom as presented in the different tie-in books is how the citizens of the various domains PERCEIVE Doom, as lowly mortals. Just as how different religions have differing views of God in the real world, thus do Doom's subjects all have different views of Doom.
    This really makes sense! Thanks for pointing it out!