Default Gotham Academy #8 Discussion

I can not stress how much a don't like anything that even resembles Twilight, so not really a big fan of this Tristan plot line. That being said Kyle finally got some much needed spotlight. Which i liked because so far Kyle has just kind of been there. U could only really feel bad for the guy from just how the gang treated him/avoided him. So all in all not a bad issue. Maps was again delightful.

Always Rakzo

I'm going to say that I didn't like this issue as much as the previous ones and the main reason is Kyle.

As I said in other places, people who are familiar with Shoujo manga (stories for girls) will be familiar with this kind of archetype. Kyle is there to be the perfect and good-looking boyfriend who only cares for the heroine and doesn't have much personality beyond that (which is the opposite that happens in Shonen manga which is made for boys and has a girl in that place). Really, Kyle's presence is not enough to justify his importance in this chapter, the guy is a bore.

Everything that happened around him though, was good.

I felt the same towards Kyle as Rakzo, for me he felt much more like a "Twilight" character than Tristan. I am not sure if they tried to show that Kyle is a reasonable teenager or a jealous asshole. In my opinion they sadly characterized him as the latter until he abruptly changed his mind when Maps and he found Tristan. For me the issue was only alright, not much was happening and I would have liked to see more of Olive after she was already absent for #7. But the last panel surely forces me to pick up #9.

I actually thought Kyle handled himself pretty well all things considered. To be honest Olive has treated Kyle like poop. When she's wasn't avoiding him she's was using him. And now he's seeing her getting cozy with another dude, who also happens to be a Man-Bat, while she's stringing him along. To me he has the right to be not just jealous, but be mad at Olive. She's all over the place, but he wasn't really even mad at her. He definitely does seem to be the archetypal good guy. Which i could see not being peoples cup of tea.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-08-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Great issue, and I liked it a lot more than #7. (Which was still good, but I felt the weakest and most filler-like since the series started.) I felt like this is the issue that should have brought the book back after its two-month break.

Man-Bat, or at least a Man-Bat, was a nice surprise, too.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Was that supposed to be her dead mother at the last panel?

I also have to agree that Kyle wasn't very interesting and felt more like a tool to get us into interesting situations, which we did get into.

Good to have Kerschl back, although i did quite dig the fill in issue and Endgame Special. I think its pretty cool that we got a cameo from not only Kirk Langstrom, but Hugo Strange as well! Looks like we wont have to wait much longer for answers about Olive and her Mother's "powers"..!

I wonder how Olive's mother "died?" Last we saw, she'd broken out of Arkham Manor, right? I wonder if something happened with Batman hunting her down or her powers and split-personality that led to her death?

The teaser on the final page says Calamity, who IS Olive's mother, will show up next issue. Looked like it also may have been her standing behind Olive on the last page..

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This book continues to impress me with both the writing and the art. Love teen-bat and the small special guest stars.

Oh, Maps, you never cease to make me smile.

The only thing missing was a "Grrrr." LOL!
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Oh, Maps, you never cease to make me smile.

The only thing missing was a "Grrrr." LOL!
    Well, we did get a "Nom Nom" with the pizza a couple of issues back.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder how Olive's mother "died?" Last we saw, she'd broken out of Arkham Manor, right? I wonder if something happened with Batman hunting her down or her powers and split-personality that led to her death?
    Quote Originally Posted by AUScowboy View Post
    The teaser on the final page says Calamity, who IS Olive's mother, will show up next issue. Looked like it also may have been her standing behind Olive on the last page..
    yeah the issue doesnt make this very clear but I think Olive´s mom fake her death after the breakout
    the lettr on the end reveals to olive that she is still alive
    the problem is: the events of her death/escape didnt happen on the book so if one didnt read Arkham manor, it is not very clear.

I didn't read Arham Manor and I was okay. I don't feel that its very important to this story how or why she died. Mom died, Olive is sad, mom maybe faked her death? Thats all you really need.