Super Moderator

Default Snyder, Capullo Talk New "Batman" Villains, Batmobile & Bruce Wayne

Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo discuss Jim Gordon's superheroing approach, developing Mr Bloom and "Mad Max: Fury Road's" Batmobile influence.

Full article here.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm quite excited for Mr Bloom. And to what find out what has happened to Bruce that is not amnesia.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yep, this is shaping up into quite the interesting mystery! Also, i just love Capullo's responses in these interviews.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Maybe "Bruce" is Clayface. Julie Madison asked him for blocks of clay instead of bags...not that it means anything, but I thought that was a writer clue. Then we also had the Triad with the brick/silicate powers too.

Spectacular Member

There's definitely something off with "Bruce". When Julie points out he's a morning person, you just know you're not looking at the real deal.
    ... Lincoln March with a bit of surgery ???

Anyway, I loved the issue, and I loved the twist on the "Batman disappearing on the commissionner" trope.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    Maybe "Bruce" is Clayface. Julie Madison asked him for blocks of clay instead of bags...not that it means anything, but I thought that was a writer clue. Then we also had the Triad with the brick/silicate powers too.
    Scott said in another interview that it's the actual Bruce, so no, it's not a fakeout like Clayface.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Scott said in another interview that it's the actual Bruce, so no, it's not a fakeout like Clayface.
    From a previous CBR article:

We've been talking about Jim Gordon as the new Batman, but will he be out of a job sooner rather than later? There is a hint at the end of "Batman" #41 that a very-bearded Bruce Wayne might already be back in Gotham.

Wouldn't that be funny if I did that? I don't want to give anything away about whether or not that's Bruce and where that leads.
    And from yesterday's article:

I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say that this story is about Bruce [pauses] from a very different angle. It's another one of the big draws to this story for me, and I am glad that people can begin to see that.

Without giving too much away, he plays a big role in the story. Who the Bruce is that you're looking at [in those final pages], and if he is the Bruce you know or a different Bruce, all of that will be explored. I know I'm being coy, but I will say that it is Bruce. [Laughs] But the Bruce of this story, you have to wait and see why he is the way he is. It's not as simple as him having amnesia. I promise.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 07-09-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I like that Mr Bloom sort of represents Ferguson and Baltimore and Charleston and Occupy movement and etc:

Snyder: Again, in a lot of ways, this arc is about a hero that is trying to make a bridge between the people of Gotham that are hurting after "Endgame," and their police, and their government officials. On the other hand, you have a villain that grows like a weed in the cracks -- the chasms that grow between different communities, between rich and poor, between different races, different classes, all of that. And that's what makes Mr. Bloom so scary. He's a reflection of what can go very wrong.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm excited to see what they do with bringing Bruce back. Snyder can be kinda trippy and intricate in his writing, but I feel as if it always, in the end, makes sense and wraps up the story in a satisfying way. We've got 4 issues for him to do something with bringing Bruce back, and who knows? Gordon might be Batman for even longer, either way, I think they'll do a good job. Haha just as long as Snyder and Capullo stay on to bring Bruce back. If they left in the middle and another creative team did it, I don't know how well that would work.