View Poll Results: What do you think of Queen Clea?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

11 39.29%
  • I like her in a few select appearances, but she could be better.

10 35.71%
  • I don't like Queen Clea, she's a rubbish supervillain.

3 10.71%
  • Who's Queen Clea?

4 14.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

One of my favorite enemies of Wonder Woman.
    I applaud Phil Jimenez for using her in his run.
    Untapped potential for Queen Clea as a Wonder Woman villain.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

If we are looking for reasons for Clea to come into conflict with Diana, why keep going back to the old "wanting to take over Atlantis" thing? Why not have her tired of ruling under the sea and have her attempt to take over Themyscira for a change?
    I would love for a competent creative team to bring in Clea (as well as a few other villains that need to be dusted off and put to good use) but it looks like it's not going to happen for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    In the past, sure. But we are in 2016 now and the reasoning of saturday morning cartoon villains has been phased out, you need something more than that.

Dare I ask who that would be?
    You cold make her into Poseidon's demigod daughter... though I dread the images of how that night might turned out... but I think that in order for Clea to be a recurring problem to Diana, then she has to target things that are within Diana's area of responsibility. Like Batman has Gotham, thats his area. Superman has Metropolis. Aquaman has the seas and Atlantis with it. If Clea goes after any of these, it's going to be at best a crossover with Diana being the guest brougt in for the expertise in handling demigods. If Clea is to be recurring for Diana to face, then Clea has to target some of hers; like say robbing Poseidon, targeting the Amazons ships for some reason or threatning to flood London, that kind of thing. Diana stopping her from stealing subs isn't all that good a base for an enduring rivalry unless Clea is made incredibly petty.
    Darkseid and Joker still remain popular despite being evil for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    If we are looking for reasons for Clea to come into conflict with Diana, why keep going back to the old "wanting to take over Atlantis" thing? Why not have her tired of ruling under the sea and have her attempt to take over Themyscira for a change?
    I would love for a competent creative team to bring in Clea (as well as a few other villains that need to be dusted off and put to good use) but it looks like it's not going to happen for a while.
    It definitely would make sense for Clea to want to take over Themyscira.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Darkseid and Joker still remain popular despite being evil for fun.
    In the Jokers case, that is to be taken litterally, and it's working because it has to counter both Batman's grim persona but the sheer horribleness of what hes doing.
    Darkseid however has been for quite a while now been pushed as DC's embodiment of evil.

Both are quite different than the type of villain Clea would be.

In the Jokers case, that is to be taken litterally, and it's working because it has to counter both Batman's grim persona but the sheer horribleness of what hes doing.
    Darkseid however has been for quite a while now been pushed as DC's embodiment of evil.

Both are quite different than the type of villain Clea would be.
    Well, wanting to conquer to expand territory is a lot closer to a reasonable goal than why Joker and Darkseid do what they do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, wanting to conquer to expand territory is a lot closer to a reasonable goal than why Joker and Darkseid do what they do.
    Except dry land is utterly useless to an Atlantean.

I like the idea of Queen Clea serving as a foe for both Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Perhaps she orchestrates a conflict between the Amazons and Atlanteans, resulting in these two nations almost going to war. She could use her underwater Venturian army to frame the actual Atlanteans and make them attack the Amazons. This would keep Aquaman and Wonder Woman distracted since both would rather have peace. Maybe the Amazons have something, a wepaon or item, that she wants. In the end, after blood has been spilled on both sides, does she reveal herself as the force behind the conflict.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Except dry land is utterly useless to an Atlantean.
    It's an island. Plus, Jimenez had Clea conquer Skartaris, most of which is certainly not water. There's been a running theme in the most recent few incarnations of Clea in that she steals Poseidon's trident. That alone is enough to put her in conflict with Wonder Woman (since Poseidon clearly can't protect it himself).

Personally, I'd like to see the Poseidon aspect of Queen Clea's character explored more. It would tie her into the Olympians, therefore reaffirming her as a Wonder Woman villain for those of us who just can't accept a villain that has nothing to do with Greek mythology.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's an island. Plus, Jimenez had Clea conquer Skartaris, most of which is certainly not water. There's been a running theme in the most recent few incarnations of Clea in that she steals Poseidon's trident. That alone is enough to put her in conflict with Wonder Woman (since Poseidon clearly can't protect it himself).
    Except Poseidons Trident in DC is usually never is in Poseidons hands/tentacles anyways... it's in whoever rules Atlantis, mostly Aquamans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Except Poseidons Trident in DC is usually never is in Poseidons hands/tentacles anyways... it's in whoever rules Atlantis, mostly Aquamans.

Still, Queen Clea could steal the trident from Aquaman and Poseidon may not like his trident being in the hands of someone so selfish, sexist, and corrupt.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Still, Queen Clea could steal the trident from Aquaman and Poseidon may not like his trident being in the hands of someone so selfish, sexist, and corrupt.
    If Poseidon had anything to say about who rules Atlantis, I'd agree, but that he doesn't seem to care who rules there I kinda have to doubt he cares about who is running around with the Trident... considering Ocean Master also recently had it.

If we went with her being a demigod in her own right of Poseidon's linage (maybe her mother was Atlantean), you could get Diana involved if Clea pinched the Trident because she thought it should be in the hands of family and Poseidon would rather that it wasn't. Still, not much of a reason for Diana to get involved in this.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 01-18-2016 at 10:24 PM.

If Poseidon had anything to say about who rules Atlantis, I'd agree, but that he doesn't seem to care who rules there I kinda have to doubt he cares about who is running around with the Trident... considering Ocean Master also recently had it.

If we went with her being a demigod in her own right of Poseidon's linage (maybe her mother was Atlantean), you could get Diana involved if Clea pinched the Trident because she thought it should be in the hands of family and Poseidon would rather that it wasn't. Still, not much of a reason for Diana to get involved in this.

The trident(the 5 pointed one) that Ocean Master temporarily acquired wasn't Poseidon's. Poseidon's trident(the 3 pointed one with the gem in it) that Aquaman is currently utilizing is it. In fact, in the recent Aquaman/Wonder Woman team-up, Diana tells Arthur that he's become much easier to track for her being that he recently armed himself with weaponry from Poseidon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The trident(the 5 pointed one) that Ocean Master temporarily acquired wasn't Poseidon's. Poseidon's trident(the 3 pointed one with the gem in it) that Aquaman is currently utilizing is it. In fact, in the recent Aquaman/Wonder Woman team-up, Diana tells Arthur that he's become much easier to track for her being that he recently armed himself with weaponry from Poseidon.
    Whenever it has 5 or 3 points is something I put down to artistic freedoms, also considering that Ocean Master could summon lightning and command the waves with his.

Whenever it has 5 or 3 points is something I put down to artistic freedoms, also considering that Ocean Master could summon lightning and command the waves with his.
    It was specifically shown in recent issues of Aquaman that Poseidon just gave Arthur his trident to deal with the invasion from Thule. The 5 pointed trident was a relic from an Atlantean sorcerer, not Poseidon.