View Poll Results: What do you think of Queen Clea?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

    11 39.29%
  • I like her in a few select appearances, but she could be better.

    10 35.71%
  • I don't like Queen Clea, she's a rubbish supervillain.

    3 10.71%
  • Who's Queen Clea?

    4 14.29%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why not make her an enemy to both Orin (or is it Arthur now) and Diana? It doesn't have to be an either or thing.
    They could... but unless they invent a reason, there isn't much of any reason to Clea to be repeatedly picking a fight with Diana.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Just because she's Atlantean?
    Be honest, would you expect a Kryptonian to be primarily fighting anyone but Superman/boy/girl? Or an Amazon or Olympian to be fighting anyone without Dianas involvement?

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    They could... but unless they invent a reason, there isn't much of any reason to Clea to be repeatedly picking a fight with Diana.



    Be honest, would you expect a Kryptonian to be primarily fighting anyone but Superman/boy/girl? Or an Amazon or Olympian to be fighting anyone without Dianas involvement?

    Expect, yes, because not many writers like to take things out of "houses" and use them in other places. That being said, I like my heroes to have a variety of types of rogues so that's why I like Queen Clea as a Wonder-rogue, Silver Banshee as a Super-rogue, and Dr. Polaris as a Green Lantern rogue.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 01-10-2016 at 06:48 AM.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Gotham City Monsters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,114

    Default

    I feel their is enough overlap between Aquaman's world and Wonderwoman's world that Queen Clea can be an antagonist for both. WonderWoman's domain is myth, Aquaman's domain is the sea (Atlantis in particular). Atlantis hails from myth thus placing the hub of Aquaman's world squarely in Wonder Woman's world. Poseidon the god of the sea is also equally at home in both books along with a multitude of other mythological sea based characters. Themyscira is also an island planted died in the middle of the ocean (Aquaman's domain). Come to think of it I'm surprised Diana and Arthur don't cross over more then they do.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 01-09-2016 at 09:23 PM.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Expect, yes, because not many writers like to take things out of "houses" and use them in other places. That being said, I like my heroes to have a variety of types of rogues so that's why I like Queen Clea as a Wonder-rogue, Silver Banshee as a Super-rogue, and Dr. Polaris as a Green Lantern rogue.
    Having a few villains in the stable that are outside of the heroes usual wheel house can be a good thing. But the problem with Diana's rogues for the longest time was that their was no rhyme and reason to them. Most rogue's gallery have somekind of overarching point, that wasn't the case with WW till recently.

  5. #20
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Having a few villains in the stable that are outside of the heroes usual wheel house can be a good thing. But the problem with Diana's rogues for the longest time was that their was no rhyme and reason to them. Most rogue's gallery have somekind of overarching point, that wasn't the case with WW till recently.
    The fact that they're almost all women driven crazy by Man's World ain't enough? :P

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    They could... but unless they invent a reason, there isn't much of any reason to Clea to be repeatedly picking a fight with Diana.
    Wonder Woman foiling her plans (whatever they happen to be) is sufficient enough reason to get a grudge going and have her try for repeated matches. That's supervillainy 101.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Be honest, would you expect a Kryptonian to be primarily fighting anyone but Superman/boy/girl? Or an Amazon or Olympian to be fighting anyone without Dianas involvement?
    The thing is, there is already an Olympian who frequents the Aquaman comics, so a connection has been established. Clea is obvious fuel for crossover stories. She could also be revamped to be a demigod daughter of Poseidon, or have her society have a connection with the Amazons, thereby establishing an obvious link with Wonder Woman in addition to Aquaman.

    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Having a few villains in the stable that are outside of the heroes usual wheel house can be a good thing. But the problem with Diana's rogues for the longest time was that their was no rhyme and reason to them. Most rogue's gallery have somekind of overarching point, that wasn't the case with WW till recently.
    I'd say her Golden Age ones were individuals (mostly women) with some bizarre gimmicks and psycho-sexual fixations. Some of them had some Greek myth allegorical stuff worked into them even if they weren't lifted directly from Greek myth: Blakfu and the Mole Men kidnapping the Holliday Girls and bringing them to their underground lair is a take on Hades kidnapping Persephone, etc. So her theme should be battling Greek gods and monsters, and bizarre supervillains who have some obvious Greek archetypes on display in one form or another.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wonder Woman foiling her plans (whatever they happen to be) is sufficient enough reason to get a grudge going and have her try for repeated matches. That's supervillainy 101.



    The thing is, there is already an Olympian who frequents the Aquaman comics, so a connection has been established.
    Clea is obvious fuel for crossover stories. She could also be revamped to be a demigod daughter of Poseidon, or have her society have a connection with the Amazons, thereby establishing an obvious link with Wonder Woman in addition to Aquaman.
    In the past, sure. But we are in 2016 now and the reasoning of saturday morning cartoon villains has been phased out, you need something more than that.

    Dare I ask who that would be?
    You cold make her into Poseidon's demigod daughter... though I dread the images of how that night might turned out... but I think that in order for Clea to be a recurring problem to Diana, then she has to target things that are within Diana's area of responsibility. Like Batman has Gotham, thats his area. Superman has Metropolis. Aquaman has the seas and Atlantis with it. If Clea goes after any of these, it's going to be at best a crossover with Diana being the guest brougt in for the expertise in handling demigods. If Clea is to be recurring for Diana to face, then Clea has to target some of hers; like say robbing Poseidon, targeting the Amazons ships for some reason or threatning to flood London, that kind of thing. Diana stopping her from stealing subs isn't all that good a base for an enduring rivalry unless Clea is made incredibly petty.

  8. #23
    It's no dream... I'm real Silver Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    244

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think it would be cool if when Clea debuts in the New 52, it's revealed that her Venturians were a group of Amazon extremists(even more so that those that participated in the sex-raids) that absolutely despise men and consider them to be on the same level as pigs. The split between the Venturians and the Amazons could have taken place so long ago that they were part of Atlantis before it sunk thereby giving them the same abilities as other Atlanteans. Perhaps it could even be revealed that Queen Clea is Hippolyta's sister and was a rival for her throne, thereby making her Diana's aunt.
    I don't really know anything about Queen C...she sounds interesting. I really like how you linked her and the Venturians with the Amazons. May I take it a bit further and make Clea a student/pupil of Poseidon, much like Diana was of Ares.

    Maybe Clea has a bone to pick with her on Poseidon's behalf...

    oop! I see we were on the same wavelength Outside_85!
    Last edited by Silver Phoenix; 01-11-2016 at 01:08 AM.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
    I don't really know anything about Queen C...she sounds interesting. I really like how you linked her and the Venturians with the Amazons. May I take it a bit further and make Clea a student/pupil of Poseidon, much like Diana was of Ares.

    Maybe Clea has a bone to pick with her on Poseidon's behalf...

    oop! I see we were on the same wavelength Outside_85!

    Thanks. Making Queen Clea a former pupil of Poseidon could be a cool avenue to go down. Another way for her to become an antagonist of Diana's in this modern day would be for Clea to try to recruit some man-hating Amazons to her cause in taking over both Atlantis and the rest of the world. Clea is already a sexist, man-hater so it's easy to see she and the man-hating Amazons striking up an alliance.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Gotham City Monsters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Thanks. Making Queen Clea a former pupil of Poseidon could be a cool avenue to go down. Another way for her to become an antagonist of Diana's in this modern day would be for Clea to try to recruit some man-hating Amazons to her cause in taking over both Atlantis and the rest of the world. Clea is already a sexist, man-hater so it's easy to see she and the man-hating Amazons striking up an alliance.
    Only problem there would be that it's (unintentionally) mirroring whats going on over on Earth-2 where Aquawoman is seemingly poised to make an alliance with Fury.

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Only problem there would be that it's (unintentionally) mirroring whats going on over on Earth-2 where Aquawoman is seemingly poised to make an alliance with Fury.

    That could very well be a very different type of storyline over in Earth 2. Aquawoman of E2 is not a man-hater like Clea is nor do we have any knowledge of the Earth 2 Amazons(who are all dead except Fury) being man-haters like their Azzarello counterparts.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Gotham City Monsters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That could very well be a very different type of storyline over in Earth 2. Aquawoman of E2 is not a man-hater like Clea is nor do we have any knowledge of the Earth 2 Amazons(who are all dead except Fury) being man-haters like their Azzarello counterparts.
    Depending if the manhater vibe is the only thing this has to revolve around. Like, couldn't Clear, Fury and Aquawoman be more three-dimensional than that?

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Depending if the manhater vibe is the only thing this has to revolve around. Like, couldn't Clear, Fury and Aquawoman be more three-dimensional than that?

    I think it's a little too early to say being that we have no idea what E2 Aquawoman and Fury are up to and New 52 Queen Clea hasn't even been introduced yet.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Gotham City Monsters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  14. #29
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Wacky idea for Queen Clea: Every group of manhaters on the surface world? They are under her control, or being turned into her agents. In other words, Queen Clea has a army of angry misandrists worldwide, and nobody can do anything about it, because they are everywhere and can be anyone.

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think it's a little too early to say being that we have no idea what E2 Aquawoman and Fury are up to and New 52 Queen Clea hasn't even been introduced yet.
    Which is kinda my point about the 'manhater' vibe; you don't even know if it's going to be part of her personality if she resurfaces. Like Psycho seems to have lost his profound hatred of women. We don't even know if she is a villain as such.

    But here is an idea; say during the Seven Seas thing Johns claims to be brewing for the League, Diana gets into a fight around the city/outpost where Clea lives (possibly as queen or as princess) and the collateral damage of the fight causes a huge amount of deaths in the city including someone close to Clea. Considering that Atlanteans aren't fond of surface-dwellers to begin with, Clea is quick to blame Diana for it all and sets out to get revenge, either by killing her, the Amazons, her home in London or some of her friends.

    Problem is ofc that in this form she is just the kind of villain that might end up 'cured' of her villany by a trip in the lasso or a friendly embrace after a long fight.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •