View Poll Results: What do you think of Queen Clea?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

    11 39.29%
  • I like her in a few select appearances, but she could be better.

    10 35.71%
  • I don't like Queen Clea, she's a rubbish supervillain.

    3 10.71%
  • Who's Queen Clea?

    4 14.29%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
  1. #46
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It was specifically shown in recent issues of Aquaman that Poseidon just gave Arthur his trident to deal with the invasion from Thule. The 5 pointed trident was a relic from an Atlantean sorcerer, not Poseidon.
    So Poseidons Trident has little to nothing to do with Atlantis?

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    So Poseidons Trident has little to nothing to do with Atlantis?

    Who said that? Queen Clea could still steal Poseidon's magic trident and use it to cause all sorts of havoc with it, regardless of how long it's been in Arthur's possession.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  3. #48
    Mighty Member Lex Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Love her. She was so interesting and a great foil to Diana

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    786

    Default

    I'd send Clea over to Aquaman and take The Thirst/Waterbearer mythos over to Wonder Woman. Refig it from Arthurian to Greco-Roman in roots and you've got a unique, possibly reappearing villain for Diana.

  5. #50
    Mighty Member Lex Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    I'd send Clea over to Aquaman and take The Thirst/Waterbearer mythos over to Wonder Woman. Refig it from Arthurian to Greco-Roman in roots and you've got a unique, possibly reappearing villain for Diana.
    idk weve got enough greek myth in wonder womans world i think we could use a change of pace

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    I'd merge the character with Mera.

    She wouldn't be a Wonder Woman villain so much as a Justice League villain with connections to the Aquatic Titans and VLNE Inc.

  7. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'd merge the character with Mera.

    She wouldn't be a Wonder Woman villain so much as a Justice League villain with connections to the Aquatic Titans and VLNE Inc.
    Doesn't that rob Aquaman of an important cast member?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-18-2016 at 01:46 AM.

  8. #53
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'd merge the character with Mera.

    She wouldn't be a Wonder Woman villain so much as a Justice League villain with connections to the Aquatic Titans and VLNE Inc.


    What makes you want to merge Queen Clea with Mera? They have nothing in common beyond both being women and Atlanteans. That's like merging Superman and General Zod.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  9. #54
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    idk weve got enough greek myth in wonder womans world i think we could use a change of pace
    From my perspective you gotta use something as a basis. Superman has Krypton, Batman has Gotham. Diana should use the Olympian myths, if only to a degree.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What makes you want to merge Queen Clea with Mera? They have nothing in common beyond both being women and Atlanteans. That's like merging Superman and General Zod.
    That's not even close to a direct comparison. I'm not suggesting merging a protagonist with an antagonist from a shared origin, although I might with the right characters...

    If the only reason she's a Wonder Woman villain is that she's an ambitious and dangerous female from a mythological place of origin, that's flimsy and insubstantial. I feel Atlantis is such a significant location in the DCU that overlap with Aquaman's rogues and adventures only lends itself to creating a more credible threat.

    Personally, I really responded to images of Red Lantern Mera. It was a visceral turn to a character that didn't contribute much to the Aquaman corner of the universe aside from the role of wife and mother. Subsequent portrayals in Young Justice and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis suggest there's more than one way to re-envision the character. I admit I'm taking wild liberties by re-imagining her as a rival to Orin/Arthur's position as King of Atlantis.

    I think Diana needs more POLITICAL enemies, to showcase her diplomacy, peace-brokering, and relationship-building prowess. By giving Clea/Mera her own realm of loyalists, possibly with their own Matriarchy culture(like the Drow), we can showcase a villain with true power and a threat to the entire world. You can take Aquaman's fractured undersea kingdoms and play it Game of Thrones' style with lands of varying colors and creeds. I'd have Diana suggest a lasting peace through a marriage: binding Orin's claim to Clea/Mera's. They can jockey for control of a single or several Tridents.

    Secretly, Clea/Mera can continue villainous acts of piracy on the surface world through connections with Kobra and VLNE Inc. but remain untouchable through her diplomatic immunity. This makes her a difficult fish to fry in a world where Diana is constantly looking for recurring, threatening villains that she cannot easily defeat. They can even have a mutual respect but with diabolically clashing interests.

    Powerwise, I'd retain Clea's Atlantean physiology, with heightened durability, strength and senses --but I'd add Mera's Waterbending abilities. Given the Trident, she gains even more physical powers, heightened water control, storm-brewing, and earthquake generating. She becomes a literal force of nature.

  11. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That's not even close to a direct comparison. I'm not suggesting merging a protagonist with an antagonist from a shared origin, although I might with the right characters...

    If the only reason she's a Wonder Woman villain is that she's an ambitious and dangerous female from a mythological place of origin, that's flimsy and insubstantial. I feel Atlantis is such a significant location in the DCU that overlap with Aquaman's rogues and adventures only lends itself to creating a more credible threat.

    Personally, I really responded to images of Red Lantern Mera. It was a visceral turn to a character that didn't contribute much to the Aquaman corner of the universe aside from the role of wife and mother. Subsequent portrayals in Young Justice and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis suggest there's more than one way to re-envision the character. I admit I'm taking wild liberties by re-imagining her as a rival to Orin/Arthur's position as King of Atlantis.

    I think Diana needs more POLITICAL enemies, to showcase her diplomacy, peace-brokering, and relationship-building prowess. By giving Clea/Mera her own realm of loyalists, possibly with their own Matriarchy culture(like the Drow), we can showcase a villain with true power and a threat to the entire world. You can take Aquaman's fractured undersea kingdoms and play it Game of Thrones' style with lands of varying colors and creeds. I'd have Diana suggest a lasting peace through a marriage: binding Orin's claim to Clea/Mera's. They can jockey for control of a single or several Tridents.

    Secretly, Clea/Mera can continue villainous acts of piracy on the surface world through connections with Kobra and VLNE Inc. but remain untouchable through her diplomatic immunity. This makes her a difficult fish to fry in a world where Diana is constantly looking for recurring, threatening villains that she cannot easily defeat. They can even have a mutual respect but with diabolically clashing interests.

    Powerwise, I'd retain Clea's Atlantean physiology, with heightened durability, strength and senses --but I'd add Mera's Waterbending abilities. Given the Trident, she gains even more physical powers, heightened water control, storm-brewing, and earthquake generating. She becomes a literal force of nature.
    She wasn't a villain as a Red Lantern. And she's gotten a lot of development since. Some even go as far as saying they like her more than Aquaman.

    Clea being an Atlantean criminal who occasionally crossed paths with Diana could work but I don't know if she should be a misandrist given how many evil Amazons we've had over the years.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-18-2016 at 07:23 AM.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Clea being an Atlantean criminal who occasionally crossed paths with Diana could work but I don't know if she should be a misandrist given how many evil Amazons we've had over the years.
    My suggestion certainly doesn't fit in the current or even a potential future continuity --but it's what I'd do. I have a grand 120 year idea but it's boring to read.

    I don't think Misandry is the way to go either, but showing a paradigm wherein bombastic women and submissive men is the norm, serves
    Wonder Woman's ethos and the adage that turnabout is not fair play.

    I don't like the notion of "Evil" Amazons. Mistaken, misguided I can get behind... different philosophies and paradigms. We need Wonder Woman to sift through a variety to showcase a love-and-tolerance-and-communication-for-all in order to really reveal her super-heroic position.

  13. #58
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That's not even close to a direct comparison. I'm not suggesting merging a protagonist with an antagonist from a shared origin, although I might with the right characters...

    If the only reason she's a Wonder Woman villain is that she's an ambitious and dangerous female from a mythological place of origin, that's flimsy and insubstantial. I feel Atlantis is such a significant location in the DCU that overlap with Aquaman's rogues and adventures only lends itself to creating a more credible threat.

    Personally, I really responded to images of Red Lantern Mera. It was a visceral turn to a character that didn't contribute much to the Aquaman corner of the universe aside from the role of wife and mother. Subsequent portrayals in Young Justice and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis suggest there's more than one way to re-envision the character. I admit I'm taking wild liberties by re-imagining her as a rival to Orin/Arthur's position as King of Atlantis.

    I think Diana needs more POLITICAL enemies, to showcase her diplomacy, peace-brokering, and relationship-building prowess. By giving Clea/Mera her own realm of loyalists, possibly with their own Matriarchy culture(like the Drow), we can showcase a villain with true power and a threat to the entire world. You can take Aquaman's fractured undersea kingdoms and play it Game of Thrones' style with lands of varying colors and creeds. I'd have Diana suggest a lasting peace through a marriage: binding Orin's claim to Clea/Mera's. They can jockey for control of a single or several Tridents.

    Secretly, Clea/Mera can continue villainous acts of piracy on the surface world through connections with Kobra and VLNE Inc. but remain untouchable through her diplomatic immunity. This makes her a difficult fish to fry in a world where Diana is constantly looking for recurring, threatening villains that she cannot easily defeat. They can even have a mutual respect but with diabolically clashing interests.

    Powerwise, I'd retain Clea's Atlantean physiology, with heightened durability, strength and senses --but I'd add Mera's Waterbending abilities. Given the Trident, she gains even more physical powers, heightened water control, storm-brewing, and earthquake generating. She becomes a literal force of nature.

    Queen Clea already has her own realm of loyalists as she's the leader of the Atlantea outpost known as Ventura.
    Currently Reading:Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Freedom Fighters, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    My suggestion certainly doesn't fit in the current or even a potential future continuity --but it's what I'd do.
    I'm aware. I feel the DC Universe is bloated.

  15. #60
    Mighty Member Lex Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    From my perspective you gotta use something as a basis. Superman has Krypton, Batman has Gotham. Diana should use the Olympian myths, if only to a degree.
    I don't really agree. The greeky myth we've gotten has been overbearing and simply uninteresting. Even that isn't really the same because krypton is kal els lost culture while Gotham is Batman's setting. Plus I'm not saying it shouldn't be there(Ares is definitely one of her best villains) but it really shouldn't take up as much of her as it does now

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •