Super Moderator

Default "Supergirl" EP Reveals Superman's Role in the New Series

"Supergirl" executive producer Ali Adler discussed the way that Kara's famous cousin will factor into the show.

Full article here.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

I don't know what "Veep" is so I have no reference but they need to be careful on how they proceed here. If superman is just constantly mentioned and maybe cameos then it will be weird if Kara is in an impossible situation and the audience wonders where the heck superman is.......unless they're going to use him as a deus ex machina :P

So, eventually Kara becomes president.

I still find it odd. This isn't an hierarchy thing. They're cousins and he could be a mentor, instead of some looming, distant, untouchable non-presence. He clearly is in the world and has impacts on her life, but there's no real relationship there, according to what's been shown and what is said in this article. It just doesn't make a ton of sense and I'm having a hard time with it even before the show starts. Either he's in her life or he's not. Instead, he uses an intermediate to even give her a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    I don't know what "Veep" is so I have no reference but they need to be careful on how they proceed here. If superman is just constantly mentioned and maybe cameos then it will be weird if Kara is in an impossible situation and the audience wonders where the heck superman is.......unless they're going to use him as a deus ex machina :P
    Veep is a great show on HBO. The President is obviously an important part of the show (seeing as the main character is the VP), but he's never seen on screen. The West Wing was going to do something similar with Barlett only being a very small bit player.

It works for a show set in the White House, which I figure is super hectic to begin with that it would be easy to not feature the President and have it work in story. I don't think that can work in the Superman Universe.

I'm definitely going to tune in. It seems like a relatively light hearted look at the Superman Universe (which there is a void of in the DCCU) and I kind of like Melissa Benoist. She's got charm.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Veep is a great show on HBO. The President is obviously an important part of the show (seeing as the main character is the VP), but he's never seen on screen. The West Wing was going to do something similar with Barlett only being a very small bit player.

It works for a show set in the White House, which I figure is super hectic to begin with that it would be easy to not feature the President and have it work in story. I don't think that can work in the Superman Universe.

I'm definitely going to tune in. It seems like a relatively light hearted look at the Superman Universe (which there is a void of in the DCCU) and I kind of like Melissa Benoist. She's got charm.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I d rather they not go that route. Either feature Superman or don't. Again you would have to explain his absence in certain situations. I m still going to watch either way.

I just hope they have legit reasons for Superman not showing up during major events. That seems to be the one major problem when you have multiple heroes living in the same universe outside of comics. For example as much I loved Arkham Knight it was strange to hear the thugs talk about Superman and The Flash and yet they were nowhere to be scene when Gotham could have really used the Justice Leagues help. Or in Iron Man 3 how the president was kidnapped and there were terrorist attacks on the US and yet SHIELD nor the Avengers were anywhere. I know it is fiction and not going to 100% represent real life, but I just like it when there is some type of legit reason for another hero not showing up. Or it might be cool if Superman is used like how Flash was on Arrow when they went to Nanda Parbat The Flash made a quick appearance to rescue them and then leave. Superman should be used like that.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Incredible Member

LOL its like Ms Wolowitz

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    I just hope they have legit reasons for Superman not showing up during major events. That seems to be the one major problem when you have multiple heroes living in the same universe outside of comics. For example as much I loved Arkham Knight it was strange to hear the thugs talk about Superman and The Flash and yet they were nowhere to be scene when Gotham could have really used the Justice Leagues help. Or in Iron Man 3 how the president was kidnapped and there were terrorist attacks on the US and yet SHIELD nor the Avengers were anywhere. I know it is fiction and not going to 100% represent real life, but I just like it when there is some type of legit reason for another hero not showing up. Or it might be cool if Superman is used like how Flash was on Arrow when they went to Nanda Parbat The Flash made a quick appearance to rescue them and then leave. Superman should be used like that.
    The short answer is, legally they CAN'T show him because he's being used in movies. That's how the licensing works. It's the same thing with the Iron Man movies. All the actors are under contract only to be used in certain films. It's a stupid rule for sure and it's questionable how it's applied since there were something like four Batman shows on at the same time as the Nolan movies were being made. I know Smallville wanted to use Bruce Wayne and were told no because the Nolan movies were in the works at the time.