Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dark Horse Recommendations

With the big sale going on with Comixology, I'm looking for some recommendations on what to pick up from the publisher as I have yet to read anything from them. I have already picked up the following but am looking for other suggestions:

• Hellboy vol 1-12
    • Predator Omnibus - Vol 1-4
    • Savage Sword of Conan Vol 1-7
    • Sin City
    • Conan Vol 1-4
    • Mind MGMT vol 1-4
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Incredible Member

Mind MGMT is th best on your list there. Great book!

Lady Killer is a fantastic 5 issue mini that just concluded. Ei8ht is decent. Past Aways and Rebels are pretty solid too. That's about all I have for you.

They've been publishing so much great stuff for 30 years now, but if I were to recommend one thing?

Usagi Yojimbo. The best action-adventure comic ever published. I think in unfairly flies under the radar because of the cartoony art style and all-ages feel of the thing.

... after that I'd recommend Hellboy, but you're ahead of me on that!

Fear Agent was a blast.

Is Colder on offer as well? Fantastic little horror series, if that's your jam.
    Also, if Umbrella Academy is available, I'd say that's pretty much essential reading. Very clever stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Fear Agent was a blast.
    Seconded for sure...FA is great fun.

Hellboy is pretty much my favorite comic.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I believe that I saw Colder and Umbrella Academy in the offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Usagi Yojimbo. The best action-adventure comic ever published. I think in unfairly flies under the radar because of the cartoony art style and all-ages feel of the thing.
    For Usagi Yojimbo, I noticed that it had a bunch of volumes. Are they all good, or need to all be read or are there highlights that I could purchase and maybe come back later for the rest over time.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

I started The Massive, and two books in, it's pretty good. I'll binge read the whole thing now that I have all five trades, and I'll give you my final opinion soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    For Usagi Yojimbo, I noticed that it had a bunch of volumes. Are they all good, or need to all be read or are there highlights that I could purchase and maybe come back later for the rest over time.
    First off: Fantagraphics has the rights to what amounted to the first 7 volumes, DH the rights to everything after that (and now both companies are consolidating the large number of volumes into print omnibi).

... but you can basically start in many places and, as you said, go back later. Sakai's storytelling in so accessible you could start reading in the middle of a storyline and not be lost. Starting with the first issues Dark Horse has the rights to is a simple solution, and since Stan had already been doing Usagi for a decade at that point he'd already hit his stride creatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    First off: Fantagraphics has the rights to what amounted to the first 7 volumes, DH the rights to everything after that (and now both companies are consolidating the large number of volumes into print omnibi).

... but you can basically start in many places and, as you said, go back later. Sakai's storytelling in so accessible you could start reading in the middle of a storyline and not be lost. Starting with the first issues Dark Horse has the rights to is a simple solution, and since Stan had already been doing Usagi for a decade at that point he'd already hit his stride creatively.
    Thank you. Are there any particular trades that you think are the best?

How are the other non-Hellboy Mignolaverse books like BRPD?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    Thank you. Are there any particular trades that you think are the best?

How are the other non-Hellboy Mignolaverse books like BRPD?
    The best bet is to start with Usagi Yojimbo Saga 1, which collects what was originally volumes 9,10, and 11 (I misremembered earlier, Fantagraphics has the rights to volumes 1 - 8). Saga 2 contains probably my favorite run of stories in the series, but already being somewhat familiar with the characters will just make those better.

As for the Hellboy spin-offs: yes, they're quite good, but you don't really have to worry about them until you get to Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm, which is where Hellboy and the BPRD break into two different series. I'd get Plague of Frogs 1 & 2 (which contain what were originally the first 6 trades). Because so many Hellboy universe stories are set in different time periods publication order is your best bet in terms of reading order, that way you get all the flashbacks and reveals in the right order.

B.P.R.D. is certainly worth the look as much as Hellboy is.

Grendel
    Lone Wolf & Cub
    Milk and Cheese
    Nexus
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    B.P.R.D. is certainly worth the look as much as Hellboy is.

Grendel
    Lone Wolf & Cub
    Milk and Cheese
    Nexus
    Thanks for the additional recommendations. I'll give them a look and see if they are for me.

For BRPD, should it be read in publication order? Comixology is offering each of the volumes at $4.99 - $5.99 an issue. After looking at the offerings, they have the omnibus editions that cover all 14 volumes for $6.99 and the one for $12.99 which will save a ton of money. However, the omnibus editions are out of publication order. The second book includes volumes 4, 12, and 5. Should I read it in that order or read it through the order it was published.

EDIT: Whoops. Just saw that Angilasman posted about reading it in publication order.
    Last edited by Cap10nate; 07-09-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Been hearing good stuff about Mind MGMT...

Has anyone read any of the Fire and Stone crossover with Predator, Aliens and Prometheus and have any thoughts.