Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Secret Wars 2099 #3 - spoilers and discussion

- The book opens with the Avengers and the Defenders facing off. The dude both teams are after, Martin Hargood, takes off and runs into Roman and Valkyrie and is subdued.

- Hercules takes a shine to Valkyrie and starts hitting on her, much to the displeasure of Roman because apparently she's "[his] woman," and the two start fighting. Silver Surfer breaks things up, and everyone heads to Alchemax to question Hargood. Strange has reservations, but agrees after Captain America guarantees her team's safety.

- At Alchemax Iron Man asks Widow about whether or not she killed and ate a dude, and she evades the question.

- Miguel and Strange question Hargood. It turns out he's a descendant of Baron Mordo. After being tortured for a bit -- which Strange is not on board with -- he gives up the information they're after.

- Hercules and Roman start getting into it again in the break-room, and Hawkeye suggest they have a drinking contest as opposed to busting the place up.

- Miguel demands that the Defenders sign-up with Alchemax, because otherwise they're operating illegally and will be considered super villains. The Defenders start to resist, Iron Man shuts down the Surfer by cutting him off from his cosmic power source. Strange and Valkyrie teleport out, and Miguel attacks Hulk, biting him and injecting him with venom. The books ends with Miguel demanding the Avengers capture the remaining Defenders.

Man, this was a let down. I really enjoyed the first two issues, but there's really nothing at all here. The Hercules vs. Roman antics aren't entertaining or funny, and the book devotes way too many pages to them. I would have much preferred some more insight into the new characters, but instead it was just the same tired posturing. Even Valkyrie isn't interested in their pissing contest or being a prize to be squabbled over, and she apparently likes Roman enough to be in a relationship with him. The story seems somewhat directionless, with Miguel's decision to attack the Defenders coming out of nowhere, and having nothing to do with the the direction the book was going in.

The art feels a bit more rushed than it did in previous issues. There's a page where Roman is miscoloured for several panels.

Really disappointed by this issue.

Last edited by PiercedMonk; 07-08-2015 at 09:54 PM.

I noticed in the art during Hargood's interrogation, he was actually drawn naked, but I guess torturing someone in the nude is more perverse, so they colored his skin gray. I was aware of it because for some reason, he had energy shackles on his crotch and not just his wrists and ankles.

A great issue! Secret World Miguel Stone showed his true color! All superheroes must fight for truth, justice and Alchemax!

New villain possibly traced back to his X-Factor run! Sorcerer Supreme Baron Mordo!

I enjoyed the issue. I had no problems with Sliney's art and only a few with Peter David's script.

>The Silver Surfer making the Submariner and Hercules apologize like the little boys they are was nice.
    >The Hulk 2099/Hercules version of the movie Hulk/Thor punch was funny but felt forced/out of place somehow.
    >The Submariner/Hercules rivalry was ridiculous and took up far too many pages. While it was no doubt meant to be empowering for Valkyrie to say she wasn't a prize to be won, all of the action followed the men fighting over her while very little action involved her. Valkyrie had no agency whatsoever in that situation.
    >The colouring mistake on Roman was a pretty big oversight.
    >I think Hargood's colouring was meant as a visual cue that he's being tortured, his body invaded/manipulated, not a colouring mistake.
    >The resurrection of Hargood had my favourite dialogue in the issue...
    sw.jpg
    >Nice to see Miguel use his spider-powers. Mmm. Fangs.
    >Those Alchemax guards look laughable. Poor guys.
    >Will we ever find out if Black Widow eats guys?
    >Suggesting a drinking contest? Can Hawkeye get any more useless?
    >The Defenders know how the 2099 domain works and still walked into Alchemax with only Captain America's promise that they'd be free to walk back out again? And how do Miguel and the Avengers 2099 not know about the Defenders? How big is this domain? Uptown and downtown can't be thousands of miles apart, and even then, word travels about a Hulk and a naked silver surfing dude.
    >Iron Man 2099 broke the Surfer's connection to the cosmos with a little disruptor thingee? Boo.

I'm looking forward to the next issue.
    Last edited by nx01a; 07-09-2015 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

i can't wait to see next issue where drunk roman and herc would probably wreck alchemax
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Well I was surprised to see another silver surfer and Dr Strange, and another Namor. And to think Mordo has descendants isa pleasant surprise. And it looks like Captain America is going to side with the Defenders against Miguel Stone. For some reason she felt the law didn't apply to the Defenders, or, Cap is very naive and needs a wake up call. I wonder why Herc punching Namor turned him from Blue to grey?

One thing that moves this story forward is the revelation Martin Hargood is only the go between and that it is possibly one of the Dwellers who is behind the assassination attempt on Roberta Mendez. And we never got any further development of the Roberta side of Cap, here, but maybe a crack is appearing in the cover between these two characters. Roberta sounds like a sweet secretary type, and Captain America this formal violent type, but it is why they are in this split personality role that I read this.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    - with Miguel's decision to attack the Defenders coming out of nowhere, and having nothing to do with the the direction the book was going in.

The art feels a bit more rushed than it did in previous issues. There's a page where Roman is miscoloured for several panels.

Really disappointed by this issue.
    It did seem like the whole story direction got sidetracked too. Where were the Defenders all these years(?) if heroes only work for Alchemax? All half dozen of 'em? The art was lacking as others here note. If not disappointing - it sure wasn't as compelling as #1&2.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I enjoyed the issue. I had no problems with Sliney's art and only a few with Peter David's script.

>The Silver Surfer making the Submariner and Hercules apologize like the little boys they are was nice.
    >The Hulk 2099/Hercules version of the movie Hulk/Thor punch was funny but felt forced/out of place somehow.
    >The Submariner/Hercules rivalry was ridiculous and took up far too many pages. While it was no doubt meant to be empowering for Valkyrie to say she wasn't a prize to be won, all of the action followed the men fighting over her while very little action involved her. Valkyrie had no agency whatsoever in that situation.
    >The colouring mistake on Roman was a pretty big oversight.
    >I think Hargood's colouring was meant as a visual cue that he's being tortured, his body invaded/manipulated, not a colouring mistake.
    >The resurrection of Hargood had my favourite dialogue in the issue...
    sw.jpg
    >Nice to see Miguel use his spider-powers. Mmm. Fangs.
    >Those Alchemax guards look laughable. Poor guys.
    >Will we ever find out if Black Widow eats guys?
    >Suggesting a drinking contest? Can Hawkeye get any more useless?
    >The Defenders know how the 2099 domain works and still walked into Alchemax with only Captain America's promise that they'd be free to walk back out again? And how do Miguel and the Avengers 2099 not know about the Defenders? How big is this domain? Uptown and downtown can't be thousands of miles apart, and even then, word travels about a Hulk and a naked silver surfing dude.
    >Iron Man 2099 broke the Surfer's connection to the cosmos with a little disruptor thingee? Boo.

I'm looking forward to the next issue.
    Excellent points to considers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well I was surprised to see another silver surfer and Dr Strange, and another Namor.
    Well, definitely WHY Strange? Especially if he was there when Doom made Battleworld with Doc and Owen by his side. There's other Doom or Owen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    It did seem like the whole story direction got sidetracked too. Where were the Defenders all these years(?) if heroes only work for Alchemax? All half dozen of 'em? The art was lacking as others here note. If not disappointing - it sure wasn't as compelling as #1&2.

Excellent points to considers.

Well, definitely WHY Strange? Especially if he was there when Doom made Battleworld with Doc and Owen by his side. There's other Doom or Owen, right?
    It's a different Dr Strange. This ones a female, so not Stephen Strange, the one who made Battleworld with Doom. You have to wonder, in this alternate reality 2099, that Stephen gave up the position, and some girl took up the position he vacated. It could be his daughter, or some student of magic, like Cleas grand daughter.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-10-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It's a different Dr Strange. This ones a female, so not Stephen Strange, the one who made Battleworld with Doom. You have to wonder, in this alternate reality 2099, that Stephen gave up the position, and some girl took up the position he vacated. It could be his daughter, or some student of magic, like Cleas grand daughter.
    Strange is actually an extant 2099 character. I can't remember much about her original appearances off-hand, but like most 2099 characters, I don't think she had a familial relationship with her namesake. At one point at time-displaced Dr. Strange does train her a bit, but that's the extent of it.

Strange is actually an extant 2099 character. I can't remember much about her original appearances off-hand, but like most 2099 characters, I don't think she had a familial relationship with her namesake. At one point at time-displaced Dr. Strange does train her a bit, but that's the extent of it.
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with the 2099 characters either, but there could be large differences if they are alternative reality versions too.

BANNED

I liked the new look of the Hulk 2099. He was much more human and much closer look of the original Hulk, Bruce Banner but still has some traces slightly similar to the Hulk 2099, original John Eisenhart. He even has an appearance more "feral" but less horrible and without that, forked tongue, scary style Venom. I liked that Strange 2099 continues to be a young woman apprentice, the original Doctor Strange in the world of 2099 equal to that appeared in the stories of Spider-Man 2099 I just think the Secret Wars 2099 publishers could have upgraded their look for something more modern and majestic worthy of "supreme sorceress of the Marvel Universe 2099" as this artwork below. I never really liked the look of Strange 2099 and always thought could be improved.

Doctor Strange 2099

http://joaonorberto.deviantart.com/g...48/Marvel-2099
    Last edited by Sansomon; 07-11-2015 at 11:26 AM.

I think you guys missed Bookum Danno's point. It does not matter that there were other versions of Dr. Strange in existence in the multiverse including a 2099 version. Bookum danno wanted to know why are there alternate versions of Dr. Strange on Battleworld at all. Dr. Strange was with Doom and Owen at the beginning. There are no other versions of Doom or Owen on Battleworld. Why are there versions of Strange? Good catch Bookum Danno.

Quote Originally Posted by tahhat View Post
    I think you guys missed Bookum Danno's point. It does not matter that there were other versions of Dr. Strange in existence in the multiverse including a 2099 version. Bookum danno wanted to know why are there alternate versions of Dr. Strange on Battleworld at all. Dr. Strange was with Doom and Owen at the beginning. There are no other versions of Doom or Owen on Battleworld. Why are there versions of Strange? Good catch Bookum Danno.
    It's a good question, but it doesn't really apply to Strange 2099, seeing as she's not an alternate version of Steven Strange, but an entirely separate pre-existing character who happens to go by the same name.

BANNED

It's a good question, but it doesn't really apply to Strange 2099, seeing as she's not an alternate version of Steven Strange, but an entirely separate pre-existing character who happens to go by the same name.
    Exactly! Marvel 2099 characters although they use the same names of known characters from Marvel Comics has nothing to do with these characters being completely different heroes and villains. Even Doom 2099 is not the same character that alternative versions of Doctor Doom but a completely different character from the other versions of the Multiverse. Particularly I would like very much the case among the titles of All-New All-Different Marvel exist one dedicated to the Marvel 2099 who worked these characters but unfortunately there is not I who decide but the Marvel Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Exactly! Marvel 2099 characters although they use the same names of known characters from Marvel Comics has nothing to do with these characters being completely different heroes and villains. Even Doom 2099 is not the same character that alternative versions of Doctor Doom but a completely different character from the other versions of the Multiverse.
    Actually, Doom 2099 was the real Doom. Otherwise, you're correct.