Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    After DKSA and All-Star, it will take a TON to interest me in this project. Holy Terror I haven't read, but I won't just knock Frank on it because it was supposedly offensive. Offensive insensitive work be can art like anything else. People bring too much politics to their view of Frank Miller and his work.
    I don't care about people's political views, I care about good stories with great characters and this "story" has none of that. Also I wouldn't really call this art.

It was just sooooooo necessary to tie her up like that because.........

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why does Miller still get work? The man wrote DKSA, ASBAR, and Holy Terror. Why would anyone want him after writing such garbage?
    Because a lot of people love it, myself included. Even Holy Terror, which I'm in no way in love with, had the best layouts of any American comic published that year. What you see as garbage, some see as many of the most beautiful Batman stories ever made.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Yes because Batman kidnapping and calling a 12 year-old kid who just lost his parents retarded is one of Frank's hits......

Have you read Holy Terror? It doesn't matter what he wrote before, something like that instantly destroys your reputation as a writer.
    Linkara's Miller Time episodes really sum up my feelings for Frank and his work - http://atopthefourthwall.com/category/at4w/miller-time/
    Listening to Linkara

HMMMMMM
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because a lot of people love it, myself included. Even Holy Terror, which I'm in no way in love with, had the best layouts of any American comic published that year. What you see as garbage, some see as many of the most beautiful Batman stories ever made.
    Batman and Robin painting themselves and a room completely yellow while Batman talks about how totally awesome he is, that's the most beautiful Batman story ever made?

Wonder Woman calling a man sperm bank is truly beautiful work.

And from the script itself Frank's wonderful ideas on what makes his version of Vicki Vale such a fantastic character.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Listening to Linkara

HMMMMMM
    What's that supposed to mean?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I was kinda on the fence about this project, but with Kubert doing some of the art, I can't help but try it now. No guarantees I'll make it past the second issue (that's how long I gave ASBAR before I dropped it like a bad habit), but I'll at least give it a try.

I don't know how much Miller has left in him, but I'd like him to be able to go out on a good note, regardless of the fact that his demeanor nowadays seems equivalent to a crotchety old man yelling at the neighborhood kids when they stray onto his lawn.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

What's that supposed to mean?
    I've always kind of assumed Linkara reviews were semi-satirical (it's that or that I just really disagree often, whichever is more likely).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I've always kind of assumed Linkara reviews were semi-satirical (it's that or that I just really disagree often, whichever is more likely).
    He has jokes in his reviews but he gives his honest thoughts on whatever he's reviewing. So whenever he yells about Brodsky, Miller,or Liefeld that's all genuine.

Batman and Robin painting themselves and a room completely yellow while Batman talks about how totally awesome he is, that's the most beautiful Batman story ever made?
    That is pure beauty. I cannot brook any other options. That's just hilarious and gorgeous stuff.

I've been fairly open about not liking his All-Star Diana, but she's new to the world and she's dealing with Plastic Man's weird passes at her and a bunch of sulky man-boys (which Batman in that story is, as well).

And from the script itself Frank's wonderful ideas on what makes his version of Vicki Vale such a fantastic character.
    And, there, too, yes, Miller has flaws or things I don't like. Every writer, every artist has some flaws. Miller seems to find objectification an entirely valid aspect of his art. I don't much care for it. But, I weigh that element against all the other elements and the work still has way more good to it than bad, for me.

I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater because a little cold got in with the warm while someone adjusted the faucet to their preference and not mine.

I'm not trying to convince you. You don't like it, you don't like it. But those who do aren't doing so because they're misled or ignorant, but because something has reached out and grabbed them. Something has worked, and worked strongly.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Wonder Woman calling a man sperm bank is truly beautiful work.
    If Miller came out and said that he intended all the characters in ASBAR to be ridiculous, exaggerated to the Nth degree caricatures, I'd believe it. Unfortunately, I think he thinks that's actually good writing or, even worse, "cool."
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I am not claiming that Frank Miller did not have some let-downs, like Holy Terror, which does not fit my political view, but overall he is a man who, almost single handedly, revolutionised US super-hero comics, with work ranging from Daredevil, Wolverine, Dark Knight Returns, Ronin, Sin City, 300 and the great, but misunderstood ASBAR. Give him a chance, I know I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    If Miller came out and said that he intended all the characters in ASBAR to be ridiculous, exaggerated to the Nth degree caricatures, I'd believe it. Unfortunately, I think he thinks that's actually good writing or, even worse, "cool."
    If this was true, then you'd have to assume that any character who calls out the bullshit and posturing in the story, was not written by Miller.

That when Robin or Alfred, Gordon or Canary tell Batman he's acting like a giant manbaby and getting too full of himself, that Miller didn't write that. Or, that he had no idea he was writing characters criticizing a man who has gone too far and is, over the course of the story, dialing it back and learning some responsibility thanks, largely, to the presence of Robin in his life.

Now, since we know Miller wrote all of the characters, and we know that something like the Green Lantern fight is set in the same world where, in a couple decades Batman will refer to Hal Jordan as one of the best men he's ever known, that Miller does know his characters are criticizing his lead's behavior, and that his lead is changing and maturing as we see in the actual comics. And, that painting the room yellow and harassing Hal is meant to be petty, and dumb, jealous and a funny. It's a silly idea. It's a silly scene that turns bad, turns deadly, because Batman takes it too far. He freaks out, in that scene, because he realizes he's taken it too far and has to save Hal's life and stop the fun and games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I"m pretty sure it's comedy. There's a lot of that in his work throughout his career. It wasn't Miller who thought it was "cool" that was everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I"m pretty sure it's comedy. There's a lot of that in his work throughout his career. It wasn't Miller who thought it was "cool" that was everyone else.
    No the All-Star books were DC's answer to Marvel's Ultimate universe. They were supposed to be about heroes in a modern setting and just starting their superhero careers. This book was supposed to be taken seriously.

No the All-Star books were DC's answer to Marvel's Ultimate universe. They were supposed to be about heroes in a modern setting and just starting their superhero careers. This book was supposed to be taken seriously.
    There are blatant jokes every other page. It's a funny book.

But, maybe DK3 will take this into account and before Reagan or the Yellow Kid shows up again, they'll put a footnote that says "This is kind of funny here."