Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    No the All-Star books were DC's answer to Marvel's Ultimate universe. They were supposed to be about heroes in a modern setting and just starting their superhero careers. This book was supposed to be taken seriously.
    The stale Marvel vs. DC war again! I don't believe it! When creators are fleeing the big 2 and creating their own stories and characters for Image, Aftershock etc that seems preposterous. I didn't read ASBAR but I read All-Star Superman and that isn't an answer to Ultimate Universe. All-Star Superman is in an atemporal setting and can be read by any reader as a graphic novel.
    Last edited by Pessoa; 07-09-2015 at 02:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I've always kind of assumed Linkara reviews were semi-satirical (it's that or that I just really disagree often, whichever is more likely).
    Nah. Most of those internet critics are genuinely giving their thoughts on things, and then jump to the "I'm just playing a character!" defence whenever someone calls them out on it.

What's that supposed to mean?
    I've talked to you about this before, but for a start any man who can't understand that characters act differently in stories that are supposed to be alternate continuities and not the canonical universe probably shouldn't be reviewing stories about alternate continuities.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 07-09-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Yes because Batman kidnapping and calling a 12 year-old kid who just lost his parents retarded is one of Frank's hits......
    I said his misses haven't outweighed his hits yet, why would you assume I consider ASBAR on of the hits?

Have you read Holy Terror? It doesn't matter what he wrote before, something like that instantly destroys your reputation as a writer.
    Linkara's Miller Time episodes really sum up my feelings for Frank and his work - http://atopthefourthwall.com/category/at4w/miller-time/
    I have not read it, and probably won't.

The weakest link for me is Azzarello. I haven't read a lot of what he has done (have heard 100 Bullets is good), but Superman for Tomorrow was one of the worst Superman stories I ever read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    The weakest link for me is Azzarello. I haven't read a lot of what he has done (have heard 100 Bullets is good), but Superman for Tomorrow was one of the worst Superman stories I ever read.
    Miller is suffering from cancer and treatment, so Azzarello is there to help Miller flesh things out, but hopefully all creativity and energy comes from Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Nah. Most of those internet critics are genuinely giving their thoughts on things, and then jump to the "I'm just playing a character!" defence whenever someone calls them out on it.

I've talked to you about this before, but for a start any man who can't understand that characters act differently in stories that are supposed to be alternate continuities and not the canonical universe probably shouldn't be reviewing stories about alternate continuities.
    I don't remember what was said about it.

But he knows that they are different characters, most Elseworld characters are usually similar to their mainstream counterparts in some form or another. The main thing about ASBAR that bothers me is that even if you look at them as different characters. They are still bad characters who aren't likable, who kill and maim just because they get pissy (Black Canary, Batman), Batman is a gigantic manchild who gets all upset when the twelve year-old who he kidnapped aren't impressed with his naming skills and hideout, then leaves said kid in the cave to survive off rats and other cave rodents, then there's the dialogue the pretentious and repeating dialogue, also Batman likes to monologue how he's better than everyone else and then there's the Justice League for some reason in a book about Batman and Robin. I could keep going but I think I said enough. The only positive I can give this book is the art but ASBAR is a prime example of good art doesn't equal a good story.

All-New Member

Why does Miller still get work? The man wrote DKSA, ASBAR, and Holy Terror. Why would anyone want him after writing such garbage?
    Because you can't always be perfect.

Incredible Member

Tis true that Milller hasn't really had a quality story that has been critically acclaimed or loved by the majority for a long time. Probably last great thing he did was 300. He usually gets his political ideas do mixed up in his stories.

However there's always a chance there's some gas still in the tank, and we also have Brain there with him, who may help keeping the story from going to crazy or to political.

I'll read it regardless, and hope for the best.

EDIT: Holy Terror was indeed shit, but I did enjoy the artwork. His modern style looks better in black in white than it does colored like in DKSA.

Why does Miller still get work? The man wrote DKSA, ASBAR, and Holy Terror. Why would anyone want him after writing such garbage?
    Speak for yourself, half the fans love those works,

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    So what stories do you wanna read in the 16-page extras? I'm hoping for:
    - Jason Todd story
    - Wonder Woman and the Amazons
    - JLA's prime days
    - Batman and Green Lantern hitting off
    - Batman, Question and Green Arrow hitting off
    - Supergirl!
    All of those!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm looking forward to it. If it's great, then it's one more book that I'll cherish in my collection. If it's not, then I won't. I can't get enough of Batman, so the more the better
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love Andy Kubert, so this is cool news. I wish he could do another SUPERMAN title that wasn't as sidelined as LAST SON.

His joints with Morrison on Superman were neat as hell. Ah, yeah this will be good.

When this was first announced I was afraid it would be one of those things they talk about but never actually happens. Great to know that it's apparently progressing.

DKSA and All Star are amazing comic books. So is Holy Terror in some ways. What alot of people seems to have a problem with, is the instinct to equate "I'm not feeling this" with "therefore it must be lame and bad".

BANNED

I cant believe people are defending ASBAR. "It's funny" are you guys serious? These books were terrible period, All-Star Superman wasn't funny,Year One wasn't funny,The Dark Knight Returns wasn't funny. There is no reason for this book to be a parody or a laughing stock, Miller doesn't do parody or satire. ASBAR only comes across as funny because some people want to justify spending money on that train wreck.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 07-10-2015 at 12:06 AM.

I never was huge fan of Miller, but it looks like he literally destroyed someone's childhood here.