What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Default The Criterion Collection

A thread for the best video company there is! Talk about your favorite Criterion movies or which ones you want to see get the Criterion treatment. Sometimes I wish I was rich so that I can just buy a crap-load of Criterion edition movies.

So far the only Criterion movies I own:
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Rock -I've been perplexed as to why this one got a criterion edition.
    Yojimbo -I need to upgrade it to blu ray.
    Seven Samurai -same as above.
    The Thin Red Line -My favorite one.

And most recently. . .
    Harakiri
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Hey, the thread-title got edited ever so slightly to reflect the CBR Community Standards & Rules on such things.

~~Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland

NO “OFFICIAL”, “DISCUSSION”, OR “THREAD” IN THREAD TITLES

Users do not make threads official, it's obvious we're all here to discuss things, and we all know what threads are. Let’s keep redundancies and information we already know out of thread titles.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

None right now, but I'm glad Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion was released.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Cool, a Criterion thread. I've become a huge fan of them, and I love to support them whenever I'm able to.

My current collection:
    Godzilla - Still the best of the series. The commentary by David Kalat was pretty interesting.
    Seven Samurai - A classic and a favorite of mine.
    The Seventh Seal - It's taken me a few viewings, but it's grown on me.
    Blue is the Warmest Color - My first real disappointment.

I'm not sure I actually own any, but I subscribe to Hulu Plus, and the criterion collection is one of the main reasons I do that. I try and watch 1 a week, but it usually winds up being closer to every other week. My favorite so far has either been Knife In the Water or The Seventh Seal.

An awesome collection of movies, to be sure.

Extraordinary Member

I've got:

The Killer (BOOYAH!)
    Charade
    Frances Ha
    Kiss Me Deadly

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

I love CC. I have picked up dozens of their DVDs over the years and recently switched to their incredible Blu Ray releases.

I am just beginning my Criterion BR collection but so far I have: Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Purple Noon, The Double Life of Veronique, On the Waterfront, Dazed and Confused, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Darjeeling Limited and Bottle Rocket is on the way.

BTW, Select Criterion Blu Rays are currently on sale. I picked up BOTTLE ROCKET for $19 yesterday and noticed that The Royal Tenenbaums and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold are also available at that discounted price. Should have grabbed those as well..anyways, check your favorite retailers if you are in the market.

This week Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic and the John Wayne & Monty Clift western Red River came out. Two fantastic films getting the CC treatment.

I've only owned two- The Royal Tennenbaums, and Armageddon.

Why Armageddon got a Criterion release I don't know, but i sure do like it!

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The Killer (BOOYAH!)
    Charade
    Frances Ha
    Kiss Me Deadly
    I know this vendor at the flea market where I usually buy my dvds from and a few weeks ago he was carrying that title on blu ray and I made the STUPID mistake of not picking it up for only $5 bucks!!!! But that's because I didn't know much about the movie. I haven't seen it since, but I've emailed him since and told him if he still has it. I've told myself since then to pick any movie with Criterion slapped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I've only owned two- The Royal Tennenbaums, and Armageddon.

Why Armageddon got a Criterion release I don't know, but i sure do like it!
    Same thing with The Rock, but I enjoy it too.

Right now my most WANTED Criterion BDs consists of:
    Kiss Me Deadly(of course!)
    Repo Man
    Onibaba
    Kuroneko
    Sword of Doom
    The Killing
    Godzilla
    Paths of Glory
    Vampyr
    Pygmalion
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Kiss Me Deadly is terrific. I have caught it on TV a couple of times. Mike Hammer done right. I strongly recommend it. I do not currently own it either but plan to pick up the Criterion release when I find a sweet deal.

Well, looks like I can finally cross off Kiss Me Deadly and The Killing off my list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Kiss Me Deadly is terrific. I have caught it on TV a couple of times. Mike Hammer done right. I strongly recommend it. I do not currently own it either but plan to pick up the Criterion release when I find a sweet deal.
    I watched it over the weekend and I'm still trying to recover from it. Man, that ending was explosive......

Amazing Member

I've never done a count before, but it turns out Ive accumulated quite a few over the years. Some of my favorite movies are here:

Bicycle Thieves
    Short Cuts
    Island of Lost a Souls
    The Most Dangerous Game
    Diabolique
    Eyes Without a Face
    Peeping Tom
    Pandoras's Box
    The Passion of Joan of Arc
    Haxan
    Do the Right Thing
    The Vanishing
    Vampyr
    Kwaidan
    Umberto D
    M
    The Seventh seal
    Grand Illusion
    Beauty and the Beast
    Night and Fog
    The Carl Dreyer Collection (Ordet, Day of Wrath, Gertrude)
    Diary of a Country Priest
    The Virgin Spring
    Ugetsu
    Rashomon
    Wages of War
    ah hasard Balthazar
    The Red Shoes
    Black Narcissus
    The Hidden Fortress
    Seven Samurai
    Salesmen
    The Leopard
    Salo
    Forbidden Games
    Tales of Hoffman
    Man Bites Dog
    Onibaba
    Jigenko
    The Harder They Come
    Cronos
    Robinson Crusoe on Mars
    Last edited by pulpmonster; 03-30-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Just recently got Rashomon and Carnival of Souls on DVD and Repo Man on Blu Ray(finally!).

Rashomon was a blind buy and got it pretty cheap.

Carnival of Souls comes with two versions; a theatrical cut and the director's cut. The theatrical cut looks utterly amazing! though its a shame that the director's cut isn't as clean and crisp as the theatrical. But its still better than your average run-of-the-mill public domain copy.

Man, I'm all over the Repo Man Criterion! I freaking love the design and layout of the digipak. Never seen the TV edit of Repo Man so I'll definitely be checking it out.
    RepoMan.jpg