View Poll Results: Who are the greatest Spider-Man villains of this century?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Morlun

22 34.92%
  • Shathra

4 6.35%
  • Gabriel Stacy (Gray Goblin, American Son)

1 1.59%
  • The Other

4 6.35%
  • Mister Negative and the Inner Demons

32 50.79%
  • Lily Hollister (Menace)

1 1.59%
  • Freak

1 1.59%
  • Screwball

6 9.52%
  • Overdrive and Beetle (Janice Lincoln)

12 19.05%
  • Sasha and Ana Kravinoff

3 4.76%
  • Tiberius Stone

2 3.17%
  • Massacre

3 4.76%
  • Adriana Soria (The Queen)

2 3.17%
  • Inheritors

4 6.35%
  • Someone else!

7 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Screwball is fun, though I don't even remember the last time she was used...
    Being wheeled to the hospital after being beaten to a pulp by Spock.

Hope she recovers though. Want to see more of her, Shathra and Paper Doll, all for very different reasons.

Surely it's Mephisto.

OK, he's not an exclusively Spider-Man villain. But he is the one who beat him.

Why no votes for Gabriel Stacy yet? Sins Past is one of the greatest Spider-Man stories of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Morlun wasn't even the best villain to debut that month.

I'm going with Jenkins' Fusion.
    That's a good vote! I loved his whole concept. Just forgot to include him in the poll

BANNED

Forgot about Paper Doll. But that's mainly due to her lack of use.

I look forward to her being dusted off in twenty years by some young and nostalgic scribe working on his first script for an Annual.

I'll echo the praise for Fusion. His debut was a powerful story that featured a compelling motivation, he had a great design, and there was a triumph of will for Peter at the end. I think a lot more could have been done with the character. Someone else mentioned Tracer, and I think the same goes for him. I thought the first JMS arc with Morlun was awesome, but I always thought his first appearance was best and that he lost something whenever he popped up since (looking at you, "The Other").

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I'll echo the praise for Fusion. His debut was a powerful story that featured a compelling motivation, he had a great design, and there was a triumph of will for Peter at the end. I think a lot more could have been done with the character. Someone else mentioned Tracer, and I think the same goes for him. I thought the first JMS arc with Morlun was awesome, but I always thought his first appearance was best and that he lost something whenever he popped up since (looking at you, "The Other").
    Much like Carnage before him: first appearance, creepy and awesome. Second appearance, part of an overblown 12(+) part event, and not nearly as good.

I liked Jenkins' Fusion stories, pretty damn good reads though Fusion came off like a bit of a variation on Mysterio. Even Morlun himself was a bit of a variation on Morbius in ways, though not character-wise.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 07-10-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Much like Carnage before him: first appearance, creepy and awesome. Second appearance, part of an overblown 12(+) part event, and not nearly as good.

I liked Jenkins' Fusion stories, pretty damn good reads though Fusion came off like a bit of a variation on Mysterio. Even Morlun himself was a bit of a variation on Morbius in ways, though not character-wise.
    I never actually read Fusion's subsequent appearance (though I know about his thrashing at the hands of Ock), or where Jenkins killed him off (in Thor?). You might be right about the powerset being similar to Mysterio (I think Pete even calls him "a poor man's Mysterio"), but Fusion's visual design and his very personal motivation to hate Spider-Man was a potent combination--at least to me. The cliffhanger at the end of that second part where Spider-Man was "paralyzed" had me waiting to know what was going to happen next. And I'd still take him (and Tracer and Morlun) over most of the BND villains.

BANNED

I never actually read Fusion's subsequent appearance (though I know about his thrashing at the hands of Ock), or where Jenkins killed him off (in Thor?). You might be right about the powerset being similar to Mysterio (I think Pete even calls him "a poor man's Mysterio"), but Fusion's visual design and his very personal motivation to hate Spider-Man was a potent combination--at least to me. The cliffhanger at the end of that second part where Spider-Man was "paralyzed" had me waiting to know what was going to happen next. And I'd still take him (and Tracer and Morlun) over most of the BND villains.
    Yeah Fusion was still distinct from Mysterio. I'm surprised no one else really did much with him outside of Jenkins.

Which I think is part of the reason that it's hard for new villains to catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Being wheeled to the hospital after being beaten to a pulp by Spock.

Hope she recovers though. Want to see more of her, Shathra and Paper Doll, all for very different reasons.
    Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot about SpOck beating and mauling her and Jester...no wonder she hasn't appeared in a while .

Jenkins did seemingly kill off Fusion in the Thor: Heaven & Hell mini-series. On the other hand, Fusion's ability is to make people think they saw something different than what's really happening.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mr. Negative is the only one I see with any long lasting potential.

Mr. Negative and his Inner Demons

Don't know most of them, so I'm going to go with the Kravenoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Forgot about Paper Doll. But that's mainly due to her lack of use.

I look forward to her being dusted off in twenty years by some young and nostalgic scribe working on his first script for an Annual.
    She has been somewhat one-note. I know Slott was planning to bring her back for the Johnny Storm team-up story, but he then opted against it.

A crazy teenager might work well as an antagonist for Miles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    She has been somewhat one-note. I know Slott was planning to bring her back for the Johnny Storm team-up story, but he then opted against it.

A crazy teenager might work well as an antagonist for Miles.
    I think the problem is that people associate her obsession exclusively with Carr, therefore she can't work unless he's involved. But an obsessive nature doesn't have to be all about crazed fan-love.

I still argue she'd be a great if sometimes wildcard assassin. Like any good fan, she'd get to know her target's habits, their schedules, their likes and dislikes, their loved ones. She'd know them better than they know themselves because she makes a connection with them, albeit a psychotic one. She has all the obsessive/possessive skillsets of an modern day urban tracker.

She basically just needs someone to mold what's already there into something even more dangerous.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 07-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.