Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Now, this is silly. But really, answer me honestly: do you really think all the changes done in the books have nothing to do with movies and corporate mandates? Really? And do you HONESTLY think we would be seeing mutants being dragged into Inhumans storylines if Marvel had the movie rights for the X-men (or didn't have for the Inhumans)?

Except of course that Marvel retconned the first 3 stories due to movie rights and now they have nothing to do with mutants.
    Regardless of what was retconned, their has always been a connection between the X-men, Inhumans and FF.

Fantastic Member

I'd rather see Mutants vs. Inhumans than the schismed X-Men vs. The Avengers.

All-New Member

Personally I won't read an ongoing from Charles Soule after "The Wolverines". Undoubtedly one of the worst endings to a comic book series ever. Felt like I wasted months reading the title. His Civil War Secret Wars is great though. So maybe he's only good with short story arcs.
    Last edited by therealmccoy; 07-10-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    Besides the movies from Fox there really is no way for potential new readers to find the X-Men anymore. A lot of people started reading the X-Men because of the multiple animated series, Stephen Wacker has said multiple times that there will not be one any time soon. The X-Men don't appear in any new video games or apps. They've even went as far as removing those characters from existing artwork for the Secret War t-shirts.
    You canl buy T Shirts with the Original Secret Wars #1 cover. I got one for myself and my brother at Hot Topic just last month. And they are online at Sears too. I bought 3 of those for my nieces and nephews. So much for the paranoia about that and not everything Bleeding Cool puts out there is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Past View Post
    Regardless of what was retconned, their has always been a connection between the X-men, Inhumans and FF.
    QFT. I don't see why posters are denying this when this goes at least as far back as the 1970s and 1980s. I guess some have that recency syndrome of the younger generations, just because you weren't born when it happened doesn't mean it ain't true.

Well, besides of Black Bolt's help fighting Apocalypse, what other ties are there ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You canl buy T Shirts with the Original Secret Wars #1 cover. I got one for myself and my brother at Hot Topic just last month. And they are online at Sears too. I bought 3 of those for my nieces and nephews. So much for the paranoia about that and not everything Bleeding Cool puts out there is true.
    Well, how long i remember, Bleeding Cool used that very same shirt as example of what the cover was actually supposed to look like.

And while we are at this, do you have any review about the XM Studios' statues or Disney Infinity's X-men characters ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
    I'd rather see Mutants vs. Inhumans than the schismed X-Men vs. The Avengers.
    What next ? X-Men vs Midnight Sons? X-Men vs Web Warriors ? X-Men vs Fantastic Four?
    Sorry, I'll decline.
    I'd rather see the X-Men fighting villains for once, rather than every other corners of the MU.
    They are supposed to stand for peaceful coexistence after all.
    If Soule and Lemire stray away from that, I'm all for it.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I'll never understand the negative attitudes toward the Inhumans. It's pretty clear that they aren't replacing the X-men. The only have one book, two if you count Karnak. Inhumans is a consistently well written book and Attilan Rising has been a fun read as well. Is it really impossible for people to imagine a world were we can like the Inhumans and the X-men.
    Well, there is four counting Ms. Marvel and the book with Crystal, and there is 6 X-books counting Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Because it's hard to accept that zeitgist has been moving away from the X-Men for quite some time. Yeah, it's not just the movie rights. Be honest and take a look at sales of the X-Books over the last couple of years, outside of UXM and ANXM, they weren't exactly high sellers. Even alleged cash cow Wolverine wasn't a big seller in the lead up to his death.

Also glad to see Marvel continues to abuse the word "new" by starring literally the oldest characters in the franchise in ANXM.

As for Inhumans: Hey, it's been doing something new and interesting with the characters. *tips hat*
    Sure, because turning the Inhumans from a Game-of-Thrones-analogy to a group that protects a society that hates them and fears them is such novel idea...................

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Personally, it sounds like Soule isn't as able to use Ms. Marvel as he would like. He speaks of having big ideas for her, but in a more wishful sense than anything concrete.

I hope this is the case. Kamala needs to stay out of this mess as much as possible for her sake.
    Well, given how things are these days, she is going to end up being the daughter that Mystique never had.

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    I suspect its a tricky position. They want to use X-men to prop up Inhumans. Make X-men look bad in whatever fashion, fans revolt, Marvel are the bad guys. Make Inhumans look bad and no one cares about them, the property doesn't grow. Thus rather than just telling a story as you would expect, due to ulterior motives and unique circumstances they have to tapdance around it so everyone looks wonderful.
    Well, a flame war like that always is good for the businness.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    And this is were I stand as well. I'm curious to see where both franchises are heading.
    I wonder if Crystal and Cyclops are going to start dating.................................

What next ? X-Men vs Midnight Sons? X-Men vs Web Warriors ? X-Men vs Fantastic Four?
    Sorry, I'll decline.
    I'd rather see the X-Men fighting villains for once, rather than every other corners of the MU.
    Well, given that anyone who shows up at their frontdoor tries to kill them, the Purifiers, the US government, the Avengers, SHIELD................

Fantastic Member

Sorry, I'll decline.
    If anything I would say that the X-Men have always been about the conflict between them and other groups with coexistence being Xavier's dream(which at this point seems kinda hopeless tbqh). Based on what we've heard this sounds like a better direction than what we've been seeming from the line in the past few years assuming the writers deliver.

Astonishing Member

And once again i feel like i have become too jaded for the X-men line of comics, because NOTHING about these new titles are catching my heart or at least attention.

Exordinary X-men. Well i like Nightcrawler, but this comic is featuring the same characters which were allready in the spotllight over the last few months (years) with nothing really new. In my opinion the time displaced 05 were the most redudandant addition to the X-men in the last decade so yay for Jean Grey from the alternate past taking a spot here.
    And look, they killed Wolverine, so they bring in an alternate universe version of him, because X-men writers on core titles seem to be driven by the uncanny determination of wanting to make people remember THEIR take on Wolverine.

Talking about Uncanny.
    Oh look it's the moraly questionable X-men again... not that i hate the concept entirely. But once again characters we have seen as main stars for ages and two characters who by now have no place in being considered redeemable.

All New X-men. Ah yes the rest of the entirely redundant X-men characters once again hugging an entire book for themself. But hey, they have X-23 with them again, who is now the new Wolverine... because we can't have a book without one.

All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan. I can like a good Wolverine story but i have become very picky. With Old Man Logan i'm actualy rather worried. The original mini series was quite fine, but so was the original The Sentry short, who also got dragged into the main continuity which did not end well.

In the end just my personal opinion, but this lineup of X-books offers nothing for me. I hope there are some more interesting niche/satelite titles comming.

Quote Originally Posted by Penance View Post
    The inhumans never were that interesting to begin with.
    Very wrong. Inhumans have had some wonderful stories in the past and have a really interesting concept around them, which unfortunately seems to have been abandoned in favor of mimicking others.
    I have a lot of their FF issues in collected format, the 88 GN, the 1998, 2000 and 2003 series, their secret invasion tie-ins, Son of M, War of Kings and Realm of Kings. I'm a fan. However, I have yet to buy a single issue of their new books despite browsing them occasionally. Hell, Soule and McNiven alone would be enough to make me want to try a book, but the direction Marvel is taking these characters? No thanks. It's a pity really. MU was a richer place before this change. I just hope the upcoming movie will focus on the spirit and core theme of the Inhumans of old instead of making them the 'mutants' of the MCU. I will be very disappointed if that turns out to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    >Nice to hear more of the creators talk about their love for and approach to the X-Men. I'm looking forward to October's X-relaunch.
    >We almost had a Rachel and X-Man book? Would have been perfect with Cable, too.
    Marvel have cannibalized the FF and the X-Men to continue their corporate-mandated Inhumans push, from using the previously X-related 'Uncanny' moniker to dragging Cyclops and Beast and Johnny Storm into the Inhumans fold. Now the fate of mutants and Inhumans has been intertwined. If the Inhumans are so great, why do they need to be tied to the X-franchise going forward? I think Black Bolt et al are awesome but making the X-franchise almost entirely about responding to the terrigen mists and mutant/Inhuman relations? No. Just no. Let the Inhumans sink or swim on the strength of the characters and the writer and artist, not the strength of whatever other Fox movie franchises Marvel can throw into the mix.
    Yeah, reading that interview was kind sad. X-Men have been the push up bra of the MU for the last couple of years and it's getting tiresome. First the avengers and now the inhumans? I'm already bored at another couple of years of X-Men playing the villains role to make the other side look good.
    Pull list:
    "Your signature cannot be longer than 500 characters excluding BB code markup."

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And once again i feel like i have become too jaded for the X-men line of comics, because NOTHING about these new titles are catching my heart or at least attention.

Exordinary X-men. Well i like Nightcrawler, but this comic is featuring the same characters which were allready in the spotllight over the last few months (years) with nothing really new. In my opinion the time displaced 05 were the most redudandant addition to the X-men in the last decade so yay for Jean Grey from the alternate past taking a spot here.
    And look, they killed Wolverine, so they bring in an alternate universe version of him, because X-men writers on core titles seem to be driven by the uncanny determination of wanting to make people remember THEIR take on Wolverine.

Talking about Uncanny.
    Oh look it's the moraly questionable X-men again... not that i hate the concept entirely. But once again characters we have seen as main stars for ages and two characters who by now have no place in being considered redeemable.

All New X-men. Ah yes the rest of the entirely redundant X-men characters once again hugging an entire book for themself. But hey, they have X-23 with them again, who is now the new Wolverine... because we can't have a book without one.

All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan. I can like a good Wolverine story but i have become very picky. With Old Man Logan i'm actualy rather worried. The original mini series was quite fine, but so was the original The Sentry short, who also got dragged into the main continuity which did not end well.

In the end just my personal opinion, but this lineup of X-books offers nothing for me. I hope there are some more interesting niche/satelite titles comming.
    I agree with everything you've said here... I feel the same way. Where is the next generation of mutants? There are hundreds of mutants with interesting stories/abilities that can be explored and added to the roster. I left comics for almost 20 years and they have the same roster essentially as the 90's. X-force is just the stock villains now? The young group Bendis had going wasn't that great but at least it was new and refreshing. Its questionable as to whether that will even continue. I've never read the Inhumans so I guess that's standing in for new characters from my perspective.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    Very wrong. Inhumans have had some wonderful stories in the past and have a really interesting concept around them, which unfortunately seems to have been abandoned in favor of mimicking others.
    I have a lot of their FF issues in collected format, the 88 GN, the 1998, 2000 and 2003 series, their secret invasion tie-ins, Son of M, War of Kings and Realm of Kings. I'm a fan. However, I have yet to buy a single issue of their new books despite browsing them occasionally. Hell, Soule and McNiven alone would be enough to make me want to try a book, but the direction Marvel is taking these characters? No thanks. It's a pity really. MU was a richer place before this change. I just hope the upcoming movie will focus on the spirit and core theme of the Inhumans of old instead of making them the 'mutants' of the MCU. I will be very disappointed if that turns out to be the case.
    Can I be a bit blunt for a moment: How would you know the direction they're going when you admit to only occasionally reading it?

I know this'll stir up a hornets nest, but most people who rag on it seem to also be people who haven't read it. Are there similarities between Mutants and Inhumans? Of course! Because when broken down to their base premise: they're the same book. Break down JL and Avengers, they're the same.

People keep ragging that Inhuman is moving them to be same as X-Men. As someone whose read 1-14, the annual and UI #0: Not Really...

Okay, yes, there are some aspects, but again, these two franchises always had similarities. But really, it's been more about balance of power between factions (Attilan, Orrolon, Enilux, and Kang coming up) with the new inhumans serving as audience eyes in this (of course, their arcs involve dealing with their new powers b/c of course).

This wasn't meant as an attack, Fifolet, you just popped this train of thought in my head.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Can I be a bit blunt for a moment: How would you know the direction they're going when you admit to only occasionally reading it?

I know this'll stir up a hornets nest, but most people who rag on it seem to also be people who haven't read it. Are there similarities between Mutants and Inhumans? Of course! Because when broken down to their base premise: they're the same book. Break down JL and Avengers, they're the same.

People keep ragging that Inhuman is moving them to be same as X-Men. As someone whose read 1-14, the annual and UI #0: Not Really...

Okay, yes, there are some aspects, but again, these two franchises always had similarities. But really, it's been more about balance of power between factions (Attilan, Orrolon, Enilux, and Kang coming up) with the new inhumans serving as audience eyes in this (of course, their arcs involve dealing with their new powers b/c of course).

This wasn't meant as an attack, Fifolet, you just popped this train of thought in my head.
    On paper the ideas are very similar, it's in execution that the titles clearly deviate. None of the naysayers look past the paper phase though.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, besides of Black Bolt's help fighting Apocalypse, what other ties are there ?.

Well, how long i remember, Bleeding Cool used that very same shirt as example of what the cover was actually supposed to look like.

And while we are at this, do you have any review about the XM Studios' statues or Disney Infinity's X-men characters ?.
    No but there is a new Magneto statue coming out by Kotobukiya. This was just reported about a week ago.
    So production hasn't completely stopped on products featuring the X-Men.

magneto1.jpg