Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Redacted
    I'm going to just take this attitude and ask you can you name any other person in the industry that is as open as Tom B has been? He devotes a lot of time to interact with the fans almost day in and day out. This is over and above the weekly Axel Q & A here at CBR. Have you ever met him in person? I have a couple of times. I don't agree with everythng he says but I respect his position in the industry. He has the respect of a lot of the talent in the industry. There's not many that have survived all the ups and downs of the company as he has.

And you know something? They really don't owe you any explanations about how the company is run and what decisions they make. I think I preferred it when we didn't know as much as we do now in those pre-internet days.

Alonso were asked about Gambit but he gives answer about Jubs? LOL
    Last edited by Purplevit; 07-11-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuskHarlekin View Post
    I think it is a insecurity thing with the X-Brand. It really hasn't been good for a long time so people need to point fingers and have been for 14+ years. I have never seen the people on the X-Boards happy.
    If the brand has not been good for a long time that says alot about other brands because the X-line is still a consistent top seller. Perhaps that is why Marvel chooses to have the X-men cross over with so many of the characters that they are trying to push more. Recently the X-men have had crossovers, events, and guest appearances with The Avengers, GOTG, Ms.Marvel, Nova and the Inhumans, just to name a few. That hardly sounds like a brand that hasn't been good for a long time. Perhaps the many events and crossovers are why some X-fans are not happy.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    If the brand has not been good for a long time that says alot about other brands because the X-line is still a consistent top seller. Perhaps that is why Marvel chooses to have the X-men cross over with so many of the characters that they are trying to push more. Recently the X-men have had crossovers, events, and guest appearances with The Avengers, GOTG, Ms.Marvel, Nova and the Inhumans, just to name a few. That hardly sounds like a brand that hasn't been good for a long time. Perhaps the many events and crossovers are why some X-fans are not happy.
    Well said. Top X-men books are still on a par or superior numbers to Avengers and that despite: A- Less Promotion B-No Wolverine.

yay that's cool.

Problem is the mass audience do not give a F about what comic book sold better 10 years ago.
    Marvel subdivide their franchises and merchandising because people have arguments about who of the Xmen or the Avengers ( or inhumans) are better. 99 % of their audience is now primary a movie audience and movie audience don't understand why Batman is not an Avenger. Or why Hugh Jackman does not team up with RDJ if both are Marvel.

So in one hand do not confuse the audience and in an other hand cross over are cool.

XMen are popular, Avengers are popular, but I don't understand if you want those franchises separate or not as comic readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Past View Post
    I'll never understand the negative attitudes toward the Inhumans. It's pretty clear that they aren't replacing the X-men. The only have one book, two if you count Karnak. Inhumans is a consistently well written book and Attilan Rising has been a fun read as well. Is it really impossible for people to imagine a world were we can like the Inhumans and the X-men.
    Totally agree. The inhumans could have a more stories to tell than the x-men. i think some fans are just protectionists. meanwhile the x-chise has become stale, repetitive and boring.

Astonishing Member

I really wanted Emma in this book instead of Psylocke. If you are going to do a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants redux, than bring in the EEEveeellllll!!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    XMen are popular, Avengers are popular, but I don't understand if you want those franchises separate or not as comic readers.
    And again people continue to ignore the main problem, unwillingly or otherwise: the problem is not having X-men and Avengers or Inhumans and/or FF interact, which is fine, it's great, and has been done forever.

The problem is that the way Marvel is doing currently is steal concepts, stories and characters of the X-men and the FF to prop the other franchises while doing all they can to lesser their appeal as solo products due to movie rights.

The Inhumans on their own are a fine concept with some great characters, nobody would mind if Marvel promoted them more- which is what they did to GotG and nobody complained-but Marvel is very deliberately trying to rip-off the X-men concept with their new take on the Inhumans; that some people are still denying this at this day and age beggars belief.

The basic concept of the new Inhumans push is: ordinary people all over the world get superpowers, often very strange ones, due to their DNA, overnight, often completely changing how the people around them see them, and making them feared and hated. Do you honestly don't see any resemblance? Seriously?

Both Inhumans and X-men fans (and people who are fans of both, like me and many others) saw right through Marvel's plans, which is why the first wave of Inhuman books was a failure sales-wise.

But rather than seeing their misguided approach was unwelcome, they actually put it on steroids: Want the Fantastic Four? You're only gonna get it Johnny Storm on Inhumans (and Ben Grimm on the GotG) because Isaac Perlmutter is a petty tyrant Read more here, here and here . Likes the X-men? Well, their new flagship book literally has the Terrigen Mist all over the cover. You're a fan of Cyclops, Emma Frost (and possibly Havok, Cable and others), etc? Read Uncanny Inhumans to find out.

And of course, the reverse isn't true- would Marvel use Iron Man or Captain America or Rocket Raccoon to boost X-men sales? Of course not. They are even forbidding writers from creating new X-men characters, according to Claremont (whom certainly has more credibility than Axel Alonso or Tom Breevort).

But of course, I imagine many people here will read the articles I posted and still deny anything wrong, because some middle-management in a mega corporation told them otherwise, and this kind of people never lie...

Ultimate Member

As someone who started out collecting X-Books as a teenager said books are where my loyalties lie. But I have to admit that reading more and more Avengers stories via Marvel Unlimited over the past few days has broadened my perspective considerably. I was never a big fan of the whole "AvX" concept whether it was in the comics or in the fandom and now that I see up close what writers like Hickman have done with characters like Roberto and Sam I am even more open to these kinds of crossovers in the future.

In the same way that Claremont was able to add new dimensions to Carol Danvers (and likewise Rogue) via "crossing" over these franchises, I think it all comes down to the storytelling. That said, I won't judge the new direction until I see it in action. And to be fair, Marvel has done a good job of steering the franchise in the direction that many fans wanted post-AvX -- Storm is back in a position of leadership, Wolverine's presence has been reduced, and many of the major X-Characters received solo shots over the past year or so.

Realistically, most X-Fans know what is happening -- Marvel is promoting their money-makers (The Avengers) to increase their bottom line, which is understandable in any business, including comics. But that doesn't mean that the X-Books won't be equally good -- if not even better in the future -- depending on the talent and the direction in which they decide to move in the future.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a new direction for the X-Books and I'd be hard pressed to criticize the progress that has been made since AvX, which is why I'm probably a lot more positive on these new changes than others.

You can't steal what you already own.
    Marvel is not stealing Marvel.

And yes Marvel wants to make people buying the first issue of Extraodinary X Men also following Inhuman books. It is the point of a shared universe. Interaction between franchises to make you buy both. The X Men are not stealing the terrigene mist,do not worry, the Inhumans still have it.

Inhumans and X Men are both super powered because of DNA.
    Hulk, the FF, and spiderman because of radioactivity.
    There is no stealing. The current inhuman books have a very different approach than the X Men of their stories.

The lack of an X-Men animated series.
    Marvel's refusal to sell the license to X-Men to companies for merchandise and confirmation from several companies that it was Marvel's decision.
    The X-Men's exclusion from new video game and apps.
    Removing them from artwork for t-shirts.
    Cancelling a line of statues featuring the X-Men.

Our argument has always been about the shrinking availability of X-Men merchandise and Marvel/Disney defenders constantly ignore this and just focus on the comics. We get that Marvel wants to focus on MCU characters in everything, we just think it's a disservice to X-Fans.
    Last edited by autbey; 07-12-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The basic concept of the new Inhumans push is: ordinary people all over the world get superpowers, often very strange ones, due to their DNA, overnight, often completely changing how the people around them see them, and making them feared and hated. Do you honestly don't see any resemblance? Seriously?

Why does there only have to be one group of persecuted genetically altered heroes? sounds narrow minded. I see the similarities but it just doesn't rankle my feathers as it does some others. Marvel is diversifying their offerings in an attempt to prevent putting all their eggs in one x-basket. It's sound business decision and as a long time Inhuman and X-men fan I fully support it. Honestly, the x-men have fallen off in terms of popularity and storytelling. they are old dry boring and both core books are directionless and full of meandering stories that amount to nothing. the x-chise will never be killed off, in the growth-share matrix, the x-chise is a dog. Marvel is looking for a new cash cow and one it is hoping for is the Inhumans.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    You can't steal what you already own.
    Marvel is not stealing Marvel.

And yes Marvel wants to make people buying the first issue of Extraodinary X Men also following Inhuman books. It is the point of a shared universe. Interaction between franchises to make you buy both. The X Men are not stealing the terrigene mist,do not worry, the Inhumans still have it.

Inhumans and X Men are both super powered because of DNA.
    Hulk, the FF, and spiderman because of radioactivity.
    There is no stealing. The current inhuman books have a very different approach than the X Men of their stories.
    This isn't very correct, actually.

It all comes down to DNA, whether they're born with the potential of get it by accident. Hulk, FF, and Spidey had their DNA altered.
    Inhumans were originally more like the Hulk, FF, and Spidey, just replace radioactivity with Terrigen, although many minor Inhumans do have genetic mutations from birth.

But I agree that "stealing" isn't the right word. Concepts cannot be stolen, because they have no owners in the first place.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    But I agree that "stealing" isn't the right word. Concepts cannot be stolen, because they have no owners in the first place.
    Exactly, the right word in this case is "copied".
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    This isn't very correct, actually.

It all comes down to DNA, whether they're born with the potential of get it by accident. Hulk, FF, and Spidey had their DNA altered.
    Inhumans were originally more like the Hulk, FF, and Spidey, just replace radioactivity with Terrigen, although many minor Inhumans do have genetic mutations from birth.

It's still DNA, it just lies latent until the T-Gen (so kind of both). In Inhuman this year Inferno's sister (herself not an Inhuman) was exposed to the mists at least 6 months pregnant and gave birth to a baby already transformed.

The point still stands, the X-Men do not own the concepts of genetic powers or of struggling to coexist with humans.