Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops View Post
    Honest question, what are the pros of writing/drawing for Vertigo over Image?
    Pros: Guaranteed monthly income and reprint royalties. All monies on a creator-owned Image series are earned on the back end, and there is a chance that you will make nothing from the series.

Cons: Loss of rights to other media. Warner Bros has right of refusal to develop your property in other media, merchandising, etc. All Image creators working on creator-owned books hold the rights exclusively to their property.

The easiest way to boil it down is that Vertigo is a partnership between the creators and DC with shared rights, but Image is truly creator-owned with all rights held by the creator(s). The risk is much greater in the Image model, but if the book is successful, the reward is also much greater. That's why most Image books are by new creators trying to break into the industry or established creators who have a dedicated fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Whats the connection? Also, I guess we won't see a new Silver Surfer book from Marvel any time soon.
    Jamie is one of Mike's best friends, and he was a longtime editor for Mike. He also wrote the It Girl series that sprung from The Atomics.

I'm surprised we didn't see anything from Matt Wagner, who is also one of Jamie's close friends and frequent collaborators.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip A Moore View Post
    I am not sure if I want to risk buying any of these vertigo has had a piss poor reputation for keeping series going lately. there is absolutely no line publishing loyalty of the last five new ongoing series they release only Suiciders is still published. Effegy was never announced as ending . but was not even mentioned here either. then there is the rumore that dc is cutting the pages and they have upped the price a dollar.
    The problem is that people are not buying the series. If a book can stay above 10,000 monthly, it will survive. Around 8,000, it gets dicey.

Astonishing Member

Man this is an awesome assortment of creators and concepts. Especially stoked to see Allred here.

The only problem though is that I was similarly excited for when Vertigo was reinvigorated last year, only to find that people didn't bother buying them. But hey that's life in the American comic book ghetto.

I'm one of those "I love my superheroes" boring types, but I've got a friend who is going to love this as soon as I tell her.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by yynderjohn View Post
    Yep, cashing in on TV. Vertigo was awesome in the 90's, but Image is the place now. Now if only Image could crack the big two superhero market.
    Ha! not with stinkers like Image United, they don't even have a shared universe.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I see a lot of interesting titles that might be worth checking out myself. Glad to see more titles coming out from Vertigo soon.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Really interested in 'The Twilight Children', 'Red Thorn' and really really excited for 'New Romancer'!

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Ok, watched Bond's summery. My list would be: Last Gang In Town, Red Thorn, and maybe Clean Room
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    O.M.G.

Another King book???
    So, he'll be writing four titles come October..?

Let the pull list juggling commence.
    By the time December hits, he'll be writing:
    Grayson (co-writer)
    The Omega Men
    The Vision
    The Sheriff of Baghdad
    Robin War (two one-shots)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philip A Moore View Post
    I am not sure if I want to risk buying any of these vertigo has had a piss poor reputation for keeping series going lately. there is absolutely no line publishing loyalty of the last five new ongoing series they release only Suiciders is still published. Effegy was never announced as ending . but was not even mentioned here either. then there is the rumore that dc is cutting the pages and they have upped the price a dollar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Man this is an awesome assortment of creators and concepts. Especially stoked to see Allred here.

The only problem though is that I was similarly excited for when Vertigo was reinvigorated last year, only to find that people didn't bother buying them. But hey that's life in the American comic book ghetto.
    As much as I want to be excited, I have to say the short lives of FBP, Hinterkind, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives and now Effigy has me weary. (Honestly Hinterkind satisfied me in a way I wished Fables did before I gave up on it. The end of Effigy has saddened me more than I could have predicted.)

A lot of the new titles are miniseries, which is where Vertigo has had a lot of its biggest success in recent years. I'm glad to see Simon Oliver and Vertigo doing something together so soon after the end of FBP. I'm getting Clean Room definitely. I'm waiting for previews to decide about the rest.
    I'm currently Re-Reading Stranger's in Paradise. Please join me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    Vertigo does still have some caché
    cachet /prestige

I think Image as a lot of terrible titles despite the hype. Vertigo is not perfect, but there's some selection and overall style. It doesn't really matter though as a consumer.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    Rori Lane (hair) mixed with Rory Gilmore (books). Which basically describes my perfect girlfriend. (Jeez, no wonder I'm excited for this book.)
    I've never watched Gilmore Girls, but I'm glad I wasn't the only who thought of Rori Lane.
    I'm looking forward to buying and reading the first issue of New Romancer the most of these new Vertigo comics. The art style, character designs, and the concept shown looks extremely awesome! Unfortunately it's not coming out until December...

I'm also interested in Red Thorn, mostly because it takes place in modern day Glasgow and features Scottish mythology. Plus the image for it was the second of the new Vertigo comics to stand out to me after New Romancer.

Can't wait for New Romancer. I wish it came out in October!
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post

I think Image as a lot of terrible titles despite the hype.
    lol...good one.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I've always bought Vertigo in trade. Not sure why - I buy other indie publishers in singles whether they be ongoings or minis. I think I'll start changing that approach w/ these announcements. Obviously it's all pending solicitations, but Unfollow, New Romancer, and Sheriff of Baghdad are most certainly pull adds.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song