8 16.33%
  • X-Men Anime

3 6.12%
  • Wolverine

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rank the X-Men TV shows.

• Pryde of the X-Men with: Kitty Pryde, Professor X, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, and Dazzler

X-Men TAS with Beast, Cyclops, Gambit, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Professor X, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine + a ton of guest stars.

X-Men Evolution with Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Iceman and Beast (and legally free in Marvel's Youtube channel)

Wolverine and The X-Men with Wolverine, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Storm, Iceman, Angel, Rogue, Colossus, Gambit, Professor X, Jean Grey and Forge

X-Men (Anime) with Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Emma Frost and Armor.

Wolverine with... well, Wolverine and a guest appereance by Cyclops.

Pryde of the X-Men, I almost feel like this should be my favorite, Kitty being my favorite and all... but it still had all the awfulness left from pre-renaissance 80's animation (sorry Gen Xers but, barring a few notable exceptions, your cartoons sucked).

X-Men TAS has that nostalgia goodness, it got me into the X-Men with Gambit being all cool and playing poker (then in this forum it was coldly revealed to me that despite sharing a birthplace with it, being a member of the ethnic group that first created the game, using a deck of cards as a weapon AND being named after a move in a mental game... he doesn't play poker) and this cool storylines and opening. It also used to crossover with Spider-Man which was cool, wish it would happen more often.

BUT... It doesn't hold up as well as it's DC Counterpart (the one with the guy dressed as a Bat that also used to do crossovers from time to time), actually even just on it's own I just don't think it holds up as well without the nostalgia goggles. Some of that stuff was just straight up melodramatic.

X-Men Evolution got really, really good... until halfway through it's second season of it's four season run.... Up until then it was like the worse parts of Smallville. But It had good Kitty Pryde in a more or less central role and was considerably less Wolverine centric than the movies, which was a bold move that was for the better.

Wolverine and the X-Men and X-Men Anime are like strange mirror versions of each other. They still have the backstory of the X-Men being disbanded after Jean Grey becoming the Pheonix and Xavier calling them back and they both have emotional and moody Cyclops who is convinced to comeback by Wolverine and guided by Emma Frost. The divergence (besides a few obvious things like the story, the team and Xavier being a part of the team) is that in one Wolverine is the leader while in the other Cyclops is the unopposed leader.

Of the two, I'm a bit torn. The team and story are better in WaTXM but the animation and character designs (who knew this would lends itself so good to anime) in X-Men are so good. Also, they let every member of the team shine. WaTXM is, quite literally, the Wolverine and his amazing friends show while X-Men is a real team effort, even though it's still Cyclops' story.

I'm not big into anime, but of all of them, probably the anime has been the best, IMO. My only real complain (I have to be honest to myself and admit that no Kitty Pryde isn't a valid complain) is that there isn't more of it and there wont be, sadly (The outro teased a ton of villains and storylines).

And Wolverine... never saw it.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 05-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Fantastic Member

X-Men TAS with Evolution a close 2nd.

We need a new X-Men show.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I concur with the OP in his or her regret that there isn't a season 2 for the X-Men anime. It was pretty good. Then again, there generally needs to be a second Marvel Anime lineup, one slot for an X-Men continuation, one slot for the Avengers, one slot for the Fantastic Four (who need more animated love), and one slot for Spider-Man, if only so Marvel can test the waters for a more adult depiction of Spider-Man as opposed to the teenage iterations that have been popularized by Ultimate Spider-Man's debut in 2000. That'd be my ideal for a second Marvel Anime lineup.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Evolution for me.

Extraordinary Member

I think the anime was the best with tas at second, although evolution was pretty good. Never knew wolverine had his own show and there was an animated X-men movie that came out in the 90s.

BANNED

I really liked Evolution. I was a bit late for TAS so while I liked it, I don't have as much nostalgia for it like I have for Evolutiion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think the anime was the best with tas at second, although evolution was pretty good. Never knew wolverine had his own show and there was an animated X-men movie that came out in the 90s.
    Yeah, he did...

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    X-Men TAS with Evolution a close 2nd.

We need a new X-Men show.
    I don't know about that... With today's Jeph Loeb's Marvel Animated Universe, I don't have much hope for it being any good.

Apart from the Wolverine anime (which I haven't watched much due to the art style) I have loved all of the other X-Men series. To pick a best was tricky since the X-Men Anime was so incredible but Wolverine and the X-Men gets over the line due to not only the brilliance of the series but the potential we saw that didn't come to fruition.

X-Men Evolution
    It's fun, it's happy, it has the best Wolverine (not in love with Jean, not smoking, and not the 200 years old), best Jean Grey (least amount of Phoenix, boy do I hate the Phoenix force), no Shia'ar or any alien connection done in a very bad way, Cyclops is not a whiner, more Kitty and Nightcrawler, and Iceman finally got more in an X-Men animated show than just one episode or a cameo
    Rogue is great, and it's my favorite design of her

Wolverine & the X-Men
    It has Emma Frost, and the show is nice

Wolverine
    I don't like Wolverine's design, but the story is fun

The 90s show
    It's mostly ok. Voice acting suck, actors don't talk like voice actors, they sound like they have a level of tardiness in their speech, like they have some degree of a cerebral issues -no disrespect to the people who are really sick- and the characters they voice are not supposed to have cerebral issues
    Beast is a notable exception

I saw the first two episodes of X-Men anime, and their only highlight is Beast teaching a class, lost interest
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member

X-Men TAS for me!

Mighty Member

I have nostalgic feelings for both TAS and Evolution, though I'll ultimately go for Evo, as I thought it was the stronger one of the two.

I saw Wolverine and the X-Men, and it honestly never interested me much.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 05-31-2014 at 12:49 AM.

A great question for sure! I'm doing a video series about each X-Men animated series and here is my first about Pryde of the X-Men

Let me know your thoughts on it.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

X-Men: TAS may not have aged quite as well, but it still hits upon a lot of issues still relevant today (not just the obvious racism, but things like minority adoption and respectability politics). Plus, their sound effects and VAs are still the ones I hear whenever I read X-Men books today. It's iconic and will always have a soft spot in my heart. Future shows have better animation, direction, and acting, but those shows didn't take as many risks or do as much social commentary as TAS.

I couldn't really get into Evolution with its emphasis on high school, especially since the WB network (and thus later on CW) was much more focused on high school dramas than most other shows.

Wolverine and the X-Men started off on a huge disadvantage just on the premise alone, by having Wolverine be the center of the X-universe. The animation was more fluid but the storylines seemed more generic, which was shameful since it was a serialized show, too (which should stop that sort of thing). Sure, Wolverine sells, and he'll do the right thing, but even being a reluctant leader never really rings all that true (which is different than being senior staff).

The X-Men anime was fresh but I feel like it didn't go far enough with the concepts. I would've loved to see the traditionally western X-Men go up against some truly Anime-level threats, and that happened only a couple times at best in the show.

Never saw the Wolverine anime.

Extraordinary Member

The 90s show was great in its time, but it has aged in many respects. It goes from great to cringeworthy now.

Evolution is probably the most consistent show, but it doesn't reach the highs of TAS.

My favorite in TAS it was the best translations of stories to screen. Critiques the Pilot was great but the 1 season was iffy with the highlights being the Genosha episodes, Bishops episodes, and Season finale but once seasons 2 started it was great although it is funny how much they say destroy over dead, kill, murder, or die to appease 90's censors.

Next I would be Evolution weak first season but it's season 1 finale was great, the series got better with season 2 and adding the New Mutants, and hit it's stride with season 3 forward.

After Evolution would be Wolverine and the X-Men arguably the tightest season of any X-Men show and was really good wish we got more.

Then X-Men Anime a nice miniseries with great animation.

Last Wolverine good but story a little weak and young looking was wrong IMO.

OK Pryde of the X-Men seems unfair to judge compared to the rest given it's only a pilot. Great animation and story for it's time also nice to hear Michael Ball as Cyclops as a GI Joe and Transformers fan as a kid Michael Ball was always a welcome addition to anything.