View Poll Results: Who is your best Star Trek main character Captain?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prime James Kirk (Star Trek: The Original & Animated Series)

15 20.27%
  • Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

31 41.89%
  • Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

27 36.49%
  • Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager

0 0%
  • Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise)

1 1.35%
  • New James Kirk (New Star Trek)

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

sisko.

why? i'll let sfdebris tell you why.

Picard and Sisko were the two captains of my era, as TNG and DS9 were on TV when I was a kid/young teen. Kirk was the movie captain that I never really connected to. I actually like what the reboot of the franchise has done with Kirk. I find the OS unwatchable.

In any event, I voted Picard. There was never really any doubt.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I love all three of the 24th century captains, but gotta give it to Picard, as he was my "first"...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Leaving Kirk side for the moment. Janeway and Archer just sucked. Period.

That leaves Picard and Sisko. Picard sipped tea, Sisko drank Klingon coffee. Picard played a flute, Sisko played baseball. Picard explored during the Dominion War, Sisko fought during the Dominion War.

C'mon! Benjamin Effin' Sisko!

Quote Originally Posted by blubeetle3 View Post
    Leaving Kirk side for the moment. Janeway and Archer just sucked. Period.

That leaves Picard and Sisko. Picard sipped tea, Sisko drank Klingon coffee. Picard played a flute, Sisko played baseball. Picard explored during the Dominion War, Sisko fought during the Dominion War.

C'mon! Benjamin Effin' Sisko!
    I love them both, but that's pretty skewed reasoning. Using the same trick: Picard captained the flagship of the Federation, Sisko commanded a station no-one in the Federation cared about, Picard survived assimilation and defeated the Borg, Sisko couldn't even save his family from the Borg, Picard was judged as the one human worthy of saving the entire human race when it was put on trial by the all powerful Q, Sisko had to repeatedly prove himself to gods in a wormhole who treated him as a tool for their goals, nothing more. See how easy it is to do that?

P.S. and Earl Grey tea is BOSS!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mighty Member

Picard's my choice

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I love them both, but that's pretty skewed reasoning. Using the same trick: Picard captained the flagship of the Federation, Sisko commanded a station no-one in the Federation cared about
    Then he discovered astable worm hole and then became Jesus and turned the station into a Mini death star that repealed the Klingons and gave the cardassiaens heavy losses trying to taking it from him.

Picard survived assimilation and defeated the Borg, Sisko couldn't even save his family from the Borg
    Who then went on to design the most deadly Battle ship the federation ever made and is the Fed ship that has a cloak.
    Picard was judged as the one human worthy of saving the entire human race when it was put on trial by the all powerful Q, Sisko had to repeatedly prove himself to gods in a wormhole who treated him as a tool for their goals, nothing more. See how easy it is to do that?
    Sisko punched Q so hard he left him to bother some multicolored horses that like to talk about friendship.
    P.S. and Earl Grey tea is BOSS!
    Real Men drink Coffee !

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I grew up on Picard and I'm a big fan of Patrick Stewart so for those reasons I voted for him.

Picard has some of the best monologues you can watch on tv.

And what a brilliant mix of leadership, diplomacy, cunning, responsibilities, loyal to Starfleet but not blind and occasionally who doesn't hesitate to raise shield and fire phasers.

Kirk and Sisko are great characters too of course but Picard is just something else.

Jean-Luc, best thing from France since Sophie Marceau.

Kirk is only really good when Spock and McCoy are around in my opinion.

I think one of the things that puts Sisko above Picard for me is that at the get-go, Sisko's always been written to be a consistent character, and stuff that happened to him was very organically developed.

Anyone who's watched TNG Season 1, 2 and some of 3 should know what a MASSIVE jerk Picard is. The only guess as to why he'd suddenly mellow out is because of what happened with the Borg.

My original post was a jest. But let's face it, Picard is a little "soft". Don't think so? I'll remind you that Soren pretty much b-slapped him around all through Generations. The same Soren who then got whupped up by a geriatric Kirk. Just sayin'.

Extraordinary Member

My original post was a jest. But let's face it, Picard is a little "soft". Don't think so? I'll remind you that Soren pretty much b-slapped him around all through Generations. The same Soren who then got whupped up by a geriatric Kirk. Just sayin'.
    To be fair the guy did rule Rome and did kick Superman's ass a couple of

Astonishing Member

I have to say Emissary. He had so much stuff to juggle. Love Picard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Real Men drink Coffee !
    No; real men are secure enough in themselves to not care about "labels" on what 'real men' do

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Picard has some of the best monologues you can watch on tv.
    And what a brilliant mix of leadership, diplomacy, cunning, responsibilities, loyal to Starfleet but not blind and occasionally who doesn't hesitate to raise shield and fire phasers.

Kirk and Sisko are great characters too of course but Picard is just something else.
    I think you summed it up brilliantly. But I will add... I really liked Janeway. She was one of the best things about Voyager; and "Year of Hell" captures what a bad-ass she was (while also making it clear she is dangerous). The only time she's bettered is when it's older Janeway in the finale; Admiral Janeway was a cold hearted, brilliant b*tch!

My original post was a jest. But let's face it, Picard is a little "soft". Don't think so?
    I'd call him intelligent. Unlike Kirk (and often Sisko), Picard understood you can solve problems without resorting to punching them. Look at Soren, ultimately Kirk fort Soren, Picard STOPPED Soren by going for the missile. Major difference. The pen is mightier than the sword.

I'll remind you that Soren pretty much b-slapped him around all through Generations. The same Soren who then got whupped up by a geriatric Kirk. Just sayin'.
    And Guinan is a better shot than Worf. Soren is ancient, like Guinan, it makes sense he's had decades (if not centuries) more experience in hand-to-hand than Picard ever could. Considering Soren's advanced skill, Picard (who is not a fighter) lasts pretty well against him.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."