Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't think there's any strong indication that those characters would really stop a Spider-Man with his head in the fight, especially not the street level characters or the ones with limited range.
    Still it's been said by numerous vet fighters Spidey's unpredictable fighting moves are imperfect, he has gotten hit by lesser beings than him in strength and speed and tagged out of the air with bullets even with Spidey sense. He would benefit from learning to master his vast potential with acrobatic speed and agility if he had a stronger foundation with his reaction timing being focused instead of reactionary.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Isn't that exactly what the whole "Way of the Spider" training did?

I will agree overall though, it's kind of redundant for Spider-Man anyway, if only because he really doesn't regularly fight martial artists like Batman. The grand majority of of Spider-Man's rogues are either Metahumans or tech-based.
    Spider-Man fights people like Wolverine and Deadpool, which from a stand point he can't afford to treat lightly. And Kraven has proven that Peter is not as good as a fighter on a metahuman with superior fighting ability numerous times. Only just edging out due to his Spider sense and being really flexible.

I don't know what the way of the spider is, but I'm saying in regards to a Laura style "your power different fighter" way. I don't think you can just have his powers plus some kung fu and manage to be a better Spider-Man.
    WOTS shows me he could solo any earth hero in h2h if he mastered the martial art. He could stand toe to toe with the Inheritors for once and some asguardian warriors.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 07-12-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Spider-Man was always to me the closest analogy to Batman with powers, someone with his powers and high top tier fighting prowess would be danerously close to being a top tier being with unlimited aerodynamic scaling potential and that IMO would make the stories be better with fighting scenes and high scale choreography, the street level threats would also be taken up another notch like Iron Fist has.
    That's a fair point. Action sequences might be better with a Spider-man who is a better fighter.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Spider-Man fights people like Wolverine and Deadpool, which from a stand point he can't afford to treat lightly. And Kraven has proven that Peter is not as good as a fighter on a metahuman with superior fighting ability numerous times. Only just edging out due to his Spider sense and being really flexible.
    The only person you listed that Pete fights reoccurring is Kraven.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's a fair point. Action sequences might be better with a Spider-man who is a better fighter.
    Maybe if creators actually knew about martial arts and applied that logic to stories. As of now, there's no real difference.

And Spider-Man totally beat up Firelord lol. I think he should be teaching others how to fight.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 07-12-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Isn't that exactly what the whole "Way of the Spider" training did?
    I think all that Spider-Fu stuff, while kinda weird, was quite cool. When Spider-Island was reaching its end, Peter recovered his spider-sense (The special training actually was to make up for his recently lost spider-sense) and it perfectly complemented his training making him some kind of martial arts badass.

For the grand total of...like 3 panels or such.

Then it was forgotten and never mentioned again.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrote View Post
    I think all that Spider-Fu stuff, while kinda weird, was quite cool. When Spider-Island was reaching its end, Peter recovered his spider-sense (The special training actually was to make up for his recently lost spider-sense) and it perfectly complemented his training making him some kind of martial arts badass.

For the grand total of...like 3 panels or such.

Then it was forgotten and never mentioned again.
    The SpOck obviously has no need for that martial arts malarkey.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spider-Goku says..."FINISH HIM!"
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Maybe if creators actually knew about martial arts and applied that logic to stories. As of now, there's no real difference.

And Spider-Man totally beat up Firelord lol. I think he should be teaching others how to fight.
    You do need a creative team that has a good sense of fight choreography for the change to be meanginful.

And there's a question of whether the effort would be worth it. How many people buy comic books for great fight scenes?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You do need a creative team that has a good sense of fight choreography for the change to be meanginful.

And there's a question of whether the effort would be worth it. How many people buy comic books for great fight scenes?
    Having good fight scenes (alongside good stories and good characterization) is actually one of the primary things I look for when buying comic books. Of course I am principally a Batman/Bat Family, along with being a Spidey, fan so I'm predisposed in the direction of relatively detailed on page action...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Yeah, I remember Shang-Chi trying to teach Spidey spider-fu or whatever. Part of what makes Spidey awesome is he doesn't really adhere to a specific fighting style--he's pure instinct. Then again, that was the point of that storyarc--what happens when Spider-Man loses his instinctive ability (his Spider-Sense)?
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Yeah, I remember Shang-Chi trying to teach Spidey spider-fu or whatever. Part of what makes Spidey awesome is he doesn't really adhere to a specific fighting style--he's pure instinct. Then again, that was the point of that storyarc--what happens when Spider-Man loses his instinctive ability (his Spider-Sense)?
    So true!