Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Hey, she is more than welcomed to cut her teeth at writing on a lessor known title. Build up her resume.

I get what you're saying but I don't think this is Meredith's fault. If you were a new writer and DC offered to let you write Wonder Woman, would you say "no"?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    How did I miss Gundra and Osira? Of course those two. I also have the best idea for a partner-in-crime for The Mask.
    She's easily one of my favorite obscure WW villains with an amazingly compelling back story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'd love to see modernizations of all of the villains that you two suggested along with Kung, Baron Blitzkreig, Sumo the Samurai, Red Panzer, Armageddon, Fausta, and Nuclear.
    Kung! Baron Blitzkreig! Red Panzer! Armageddon! I have a story idea involving the latter three.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I think tha tshe had enough time to deliver. like thor said: bring me another! *smash the mug in the ground*
    She's a brand new writer and you expect her to attain perfection in 6 months?
    Flipside...

Exactly how long should a reader give a creative team before it's ok to say "This just is not for me."?

How long did you give the previous team before you stopped buying the book?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Flipside...

Exactly how long should a reader give a creative team before it's ok to say "This just is not for me."?

How long did you give the previous team before you stopped buying the book?

I gave Azzarello 5 initial issues then gave him a 2nd chance with issue #14 but the difference is, Azz wasn't a new writer nor was he anywhere near as polite or professional as Meredith has been about Wonder Woman. Meredith certainly hasn't made public statements like "only 4 or 5 whiny people on the internet" not liking her run. I also didn't drop Azz's run just because of horrible writing but because of inconsistent art on Chiang's part, the near total detachment from DC continuity, and the focus on public domain characters in the run.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 07-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Exactly. The "Public Domain Focus" along with that it was self contained was a deal breaker for you. The writing is a deal breaker for some readers now.

I can't see giving the writer more than five or six issues based on the hope that there will be a marked improvement in the writer's writing.

You can't really talk yourself out of what doesn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Exactly. The "Public Domain Focus" along with that it was self contained was a deal breaker for you. The writing is a deal breaker for some readers now.

I can't see giving the writer more than five or six issues based on the hope that there will be a marked improvement in the writer's writing.

You can't really talk yourself out of what doesn't work for you.

I don't think my last reply was read entirely or it was misunderstood(which seems to be a recurring thing) so I'm done with this subject matter. If you want to discuss the Wonder-rogues, that's fine but I'm not up for any more Azzarello/Finch debating with you.

Astonishing Member

I'm all for more WW-rogues, and it's good to see Silver Swan mentioned. But I never thought I'd hear anyone describe Donna as a ruthless anti-hero. Can't say that's what I wanted to see, and the price hike isn't helping either.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I'm all for more WW-rogues, and it's good to see Silver Swan mentioned. But I never thought I'd hear anyone describe Donna as a ruthless anti-hero. Can't say that's what I wanted to see, and the price hike isn't helping either.

I get the feeling that Meredith was given some sort of edict like "Bring Donna back but make her significantly different from Diana" as Didio has often said that he didn't see a place for Donna, Dick Grayson, etc. now that they were grown up. After all, he wanted to kill off Dick Grayson over a decade ago because he felt that the character had outlived his usefulness.

Astonishing Member

She's a brand new writer and you expect her to attain perfection in 6 months?
    Not perfection, but honestly, for some of us the run has not yet achieved adequacy. How long should we wait for adequacy?

As for researching old runs, communicating with fans, etc.--all that is nice, if those were the criteria, you or I could be the writer. And in reality, speaking for myself, I probably should not be.

You're right that it's not Meredith's fault if DC hired her before she was profesisonally ready for this. But that doesn't make me want to see her continue to write it. I'd be happy to see her replaced, though if she gets a second chance with a different DC title, I'd be happy to see that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    As for researching old runs, communicating with fans, etc.--all that is nice, if those were the criteria, you or I could be the writer. And in reality, speaking for myself, I probably should not be.
    Definitely.

I would take radio silence. Shoot, I would take this team calling me, by name, an idiot in each issue in exchange for a little bit better Wonder Woman.

I get the feeling that Meredith was given some sort of edict like "Bring Donna back but make her significantly different from Diana" as Didio has often said that he didn't see a place for Donna, Dick Grayson, etc. now that they were grown up. After all, he wanted to kill off Dick Grayson over a decade ago because he felt that the character had outlived his usefulness.
    What gives you this idea? Did the Finches state this in any interview? Plus there are many ways to make a character different from another character without destroying the basis of the character. Meredith did not have to make Donna a mass murderer, no matter what Didio dictated. Unless he dictated to make Donna a mass murderer. I believe that it is more likely that this was a new writer trying to make her mark and shock the readers with something that is outlandish and causes conversation whether it be good or bad. She obviously not worried about upsetting Donna Troy fans or readers that have followed the characters for over 30 years.

In regards to Diana's rogues gallery, I would love to see the Cheetah actually be used in Wonder Woman's book, she has been seen all over other titles but not used in the title that she was created for. It would also be nice to see Dr. Cyber, Giganta, or any other villains instead of making classic heroes into villains.

Quote Originally Posted by MTroy View Post
    What gives you this idea? Did the Finches state this in any interview? Plus there are many ways to make a character different from another character without destroying the basis of the character. Meredith did not have to make Donna a mass murderer, no matter what Didio dictated. Unless he dictated to make Donna a mass murderer. I believe that it is more likely that this was a new writer trying to make her mark and shock the readers with something that is outlandish and causes conversation whether it be good or bad. She obviously not worried about upsetting Donna Troy fans or readers that have followed the characters for over 30 years.

In regards to Diana's rogues gallery, I would love to see the Cheetah actually be used in Wonder Woman's book, she has been seen all over other titles but not used in the title that she was created for. It would also be nice to see Dr. Cyber, Giganta, or any other villains instead of making classic heroes into villains.

I agree with you. I don't like what has been done with Donna so far but I do think she is redeemable as she was Hecate and the old crone's "Frankenstein monster", programmed to hate men. All it took was for Diana's lasso of truth to make her realize what she had done was horrendously wrong. Even if Meredith sees Donna as a ruthless anti-hero, Meredith won't be writing this book or Donna Troy forever.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hearing that Andreyko is bringing back Cheetah over in '77 has made me depressed regarding the main title. I wish we could get a writer like him to bring back the villains in fun adventure stories in canon, without having to put up with TX1000 Donna and whiny Diana.

SEVEN WONDER WOMAN SUPER-VILLAINS that could turn the Finches' run around and change the quality of comic, long-term...

Doctor Cyber - a cybernetic, criminal mastermind, who rules a high-tech, global terrorist network

The Cheetah - a psychopathic, superhumanly powerful werecheetah, plotting to turn the world into a savage jungle, where people must hunt down and devour each other to survive

Circe - a creepy, chalk-faced, immortal sorceress and ruler of her own trans-dimensional island, hell-bent on conquering the world, with her bestiamorphic Ani-Men army

The First Born - blood-thirsty, nihilistic and immortal half-brother of Wonder Woman, with restored dragon armor and mystical weapons, whose sole ambition is to conquer the Earth, with his army of hyena-men

The Adjudicator - a nigh omnipotent, space-dwelling entity, who exists solely to judge and condemn the universe for its perceived cosmic crimes

Gundra the Valkyrie - a battle-ready Valkyrie, who, like the original Silver Swan, possesses power and fighting skills, nearly equal to Wonder Woman's

Bushmaster - a superhuman assassin, who can fight well, AND who attacks WW with innocent people, turned into deadly, zombie-like puppets

These super-villains, created for use in the WW comic, are either presently in circulation, in the New 52, or haven't been reintroduced, yet. They are simple and easy to understand - not weighed down by complicated back-stories and decades of irrelevant WW mythos. Make it happen with these seven super-villains, in memorable, consequential story arcs, and the Finches will change the way this comic is viewed, for the foreseeable future, and become the greatest WW creators of all time.

If only we could see them developed in the pages of Wonder Woman. I think that's still how it works, with most comics...? Dunno, really, ..with so many Wonder-nasties popping up in other titles.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-16-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

A good deal of this should also be lain at the feet of the editor as well. Any editor working for DC Comics should know the fan base that Donna Troy has and what effect this would have on those fans. You can't take a character who is loved for her caring and her heart and turn her into a mass murderer and expect it to go smoothly.
    Likewise, other issues the book is having with characterization shows that there is very little input from the editor. I sometimes wonder what the editor does when it comes to this title. If he were going to give the book to a very untested writer, there should be a heavier hand on the book guiding and keeping things like characterization consistent.