BANNED

Default What did you think of the Arkham Knight character?

So, with Arkham Knight out for a while now, I was hoping to hear people's opinion on the Arkham Knight character. Did you like where they took him and surprised at who he turned out to be, or were you like me and saw the reveal before you even picked up the game? Were you disappointed with the character or did you love him? What did you think of the Arkham Knight?

I like him a whole hell of a lot more than his comic counterpart.

Incredible Member

Didn't think much of him.
    Also knew/guessed who he was before the game even came out smh

But at least he wasn't the Joker. That I am grateful of.

Incredible Member

I want the name to come to the comics. Jason calling himself Red Hood is sooooo messed up. I didn't pay attention to the promotion of the game, so I didn't guess who it was beforehand, but I called it super early into the story.

Meh it was okay, although I'm a bit biased as I honestly prefer Jason as Red Hood II.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I want the name to come to the comics. Jason calling himself Red Hood is sooooo messed up. I didn't pay attention to the promotion of the game, so I didn't guess who it was beforehand, but I called it super early into the story.
    Arkham Knight name won't make sense without retconning the original Death in the Family. Naming himself after the place where he was tortured felt weird to me. The best thing about the Arkham Knight name is that's an original identity for Jason since they brought him back.

As for the character himself meh. The reveal would have been stronger if the game show how who and how Jason was before his year of torture. The significance is lost to anyone who isn't already familiar with the character.

It was alright. The flashbacks were cool, I avoided trailers for the most part so I didn't have an opinion prior to release but I knew who he was from his first couple lines. He's just kinda an annoying angry guy for most of the game til he's unmasked then he disappears til his quick appearance at the very end. I feel like they missed the emotional punch a little bit.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm aware of the spoilers. So far, all he does is taunt you and shout about how much he hates you. It makes the first boss fight against his tanks and helicopter even more obnoxious than it already is.* SHUT UP.

*I'm a wicked casual gamer.That fight may have been way easier for others though, in which case I probably sound like a wimp.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Somewhat interesting idea, terrible execution.

They butchered Jason's character for no reason and took any aency of him by making him a puppet.

Wasn't surprised but I loved it.

I'm interested to see what Marv Wolfman does with the reveal in the novelization.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'd already guessed who it was so it was no surprise to me. It was fine for the setting of the Arkham games, very brutal and tragic even, but I wouldn't want that to "be" Jason in the main comic book continuity. For one thing it would take some major retconning for it to even work and secondly it would end up being just another "Jason Todd Bat villain" take on the character and that's frankly been done to death already. I wouldn't say no to this version in an Arkham game related comic though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Best origin of Jason Todd's transformation to the Red Hood (although I still think one of the DLC story packs is going to reveal that it was Toxin that made Batman see Jason Todd as the Arkham Knight). Bat's basically hallucinating the whole game, so why not?
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

If you know Batman, it was obvious once you saw the first trailer featuring the Arkham Knight. It becomes even more obvious after the character's first few lines of dialogue.

For an origin for Jason, in the Arkhamverse, it's pretty good, and a good way to change things up. It still pales in comparison to the comic storyline. No, I'm not a comic purist, but this origin makes Jason a whole lot less interesting by comparison.

1) No reference to his mother, the emotional trauma, and connection, that lured him away from the protection of Bruce.

2) We don't know how he was like as Robin. Was he just as surly, and harsh, as we're to believe he was due to his background? Did he and Bruce not have a good relationship to begin with, which is why it was so easy for him to hate Bruce this much?

3) It makes him a very stupid Robin. It's not like he was lured by an anonymous tip, like in the comics. He actually thought he could take out the Joker on his own. He was asking for this to happen to him.

4) It doesn't look like he really trained much. While he ultimately couldn't match Bruce, in the comic, and the movie, he could at least tangle with him for a good while before the BatGod took over. Here? He can hardly even do anything (tho to be fair...neither could this verse's Deathstroke...which is a damn shame).

5) He didn't tell Hush who Batman was, and thus we got the debacle that was the Hush side mission rather than what could've been a great story.

6) No Talia connection. Talia is basically the mother/big sister figure that Jason never had. All that potential, gone.

7) He actually worked with villains, and helped them to kill innocent people....what? Jason does believe that crime can be used to control crime, but he won't kill innocents, or help others do so. It hits too close to home, in that it was crime that ruined his family. Difference between him, and the rest of the Bat-family, is that he's lived on the other side, and thus recognizes the advantages of accepting one's worst side. However, he'd never kill innocents. The whole reason for Under the Hood is that he's frustrated that Batman won't finish off his enemies, especially the Joker for killing him, and thus allows them to threaten Gotham over, and over, again. That was also his beef with Bruce when he was Robin, and thus why they were never that close, despite being family.

So yeah, cool story for the game, even if it fizzled towards the end, but the story, and character, don't compare to the comic counterparts.

BANNED

Good
    Original alias
    trained with Deathstroke

Bad
    Pales in comparison to UTRH in almost every other way.