View Poll Results: How many stars would you give this awesome issue of All New Invaders?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Awesome! I'm blown away by everything!

8 47.06%
  • 4 - Mostly cool things happening, but ...

7 41.18%
  • 3 - Interesting, but not written like I want.

0 0%
  • 2 - Okay, but I could have trade waited.

0 0%
  • 1 - Don't bother.

1 5.88%
  • 0 - I didn't enjoy this at all.

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default All New Invaders #5 -- Review & SPOILERS

Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art by STEVE PUGH
    Colors by GURU-eFX
    Cover by MUKESH SINGH

Preview Here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=21788

SUMMARY:

After the preview pages, the fight between Namor and Torch and Ikaris continues, with Namor being Namor and some internal narration from Cap on the sidelines about everything going according to plan. Bucky leads Tanalth on a merry chase that eventually leads back to the battle, where Cap is failing his gloat roll and revealing his plan to the Supreme Intelligence. Apparently, while not being very effective against Ikaris, Torch was really irradiating the Kree soldiers (???). He gives them a final felling burst of radiation. Then Cap plants his shield in the Supreme Intelligence, revealing Tony Stark laced his shield with nannites carrying a computer super virus -- apparently specifically created for the Supreme Intelligence after Infinity.

Bucky and Tanalth burst in and Cap keeps her in check with a threat to not turn the Supreme Intelligence back on. Before she can do anything, Aarkus returns with ... Markkari, who found the God's Whisper and freed Ikaris. Apparently, the Kree choose the better part of valor, and the Invaders return to Earth where Namor is Namor and then Cap gives Torch the pep speech and recruits him to SHIELD.

Epilogue, in the Negative Zone, we see Ikaris vowing revenge on the Kree with their own weapon as he and Thena and Aarkus use the God's Whisper on Galactus!!!

REVIEW:

Holy cow. What an ending! Wow.

Steve Pugh's art seems more confident this issue as he settles in on drawing the book. His action scenes pack plenty of impact and are freshly done. I hope he stays for YEARS on this book.

This issue was a lot of fighting and revelations -- with everything moving along. I think the four main characters each had good moments, though it was mostly from Cap's pov. Some will find it to have a bit too much exposition, but I can live with that, as I like old school comics.

My only nit this issue was Torch's radiation powers and Cap being immune to it??? Of course, maybe I just didn't know about those special powers.

And obviously nothing like what was on the cover happened, which is okay, since I'd have no idea how Robinson could have wrapped that up in one issue.

Overall, a fun issue, and a good conclusion, with some great art! Color me happy!

Did I mention, what an ending?! Wow.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

My only nit this issue was Torch's radiation powers and Cap being immune to it??? Of course, maybe I just didn't know about those special powers.
    There was a bit earlier in the book about Cap taking anti-toxins. I think that's the immunity bit. Honestly, I had more issue with swiping the ending of Independence Day for the finale. Computer virus to take out the aliens? Really?

The rest was good, but that bit was pretty bad.

yeah, that ending has to be followed up. has. this issue had me thinking how good a Robinson Eternals series would be. i too thought it was odd that Cap is immune to the Torch's radiation. its just a throwaway line but it kinda (in my mind anyway) needs explained.

also, immediately following this issue i liked Jim's appearance in this week's Fantastic Four.

Mighty Member

So can we safely assume then that the Negative Zone is a multiversal portal? (despite all depictions of it in alternate universes)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    There was a bit earlier in the book about Cap taking anti-toxins. I think that's the immunity bit. Honestly, I had more issue with swiping the ending of Independence Day for the finale. Computer virus to take out the aliens? Really?

The rest was good, but that bit was pretty bad.
    Oh, I missed that. Thank you. Though ... anti-toxins? I don't think that's exactly what you need against radiation. Shielding, yes. I guess Namor being able to take it goes along with being fire proof.

I will say I loved Bucky in the preview and wish he had a bit more to do in the rest of the book.

Namor was pretty spot on, for me, this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    yeah, that ending has to be followed up. has. this issue had me thinking how good a Robinson Eternals series would be. i too thought it was odd that Cap is immune to the Torch's radiation. its just a throwaway line but it kinda (in my mind anyway) needs explained.

also, immediately following this issue i liked Jim's appearance in this week's Fantastic Four.
    That was cool, seeing Torch in FF as a SHIELD agent, and at Camp Hammond of all places.

Well, I'm betting we'll see the Eternals later on, perhaps even in the FF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    So can we safely assume then that the Negative Zone is a multiversal portal? (despite all depictions of it in alternate universes)
    I'm not sure what you're asking. I think the Negative Zone is another dimension, and there is more than one portal into / out of it.

Fantastic Member

Oh, I missed that. Thank you. Though ... anti-toxins? I don't think that's exactly what you need against radiation. Shielding, yes. I guess Namor being able to take it goes along with being fire proof.
    Eh, is it any dumber than the computer virus nanites? To take out an organic computer? Seriously, sit down to think about that one for a second, it makes no sense whatsoever. It's low-grade technobabble at it's finest.

Fantastic Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. I think the Negative Zone is another dimension, and there is more than one portal into / out of it.
    Because Galactus is in there from the end of his stint in the Ultimate Universe, which would make them appear to be linked. But we know that the Ultimate N-Zone is something different, because we've seen it.

That said, who knows, maybe they specifically sucked Galactus back into the 616 N-Zone?

This was really fun, a great opening arc.
    Woah that ending, I didn't expected that plot to be addressed in Invaders of all the places.
    I love the references to other books that Robinson drops, everybody seems to kinda ignore others work so I find this amusing.

BANNED

Eh, is it any dumber than the computer virus nanites? To take out an organic computer? Seriously, sit down to think about that one for a second, it makes no sense whatsoever. It's low-grade technobabble at it's finest.
    Well, both of them work fine when you read the story, but if you think hard about them, perhaps not so much. I do think giving Torch radioactive powers may have more greater consequences. Of course, considering the next arc, perhaps that's what's Robinson is counting on.

Because Galactus is in there from the end of his stint in the Ultimate Universe, which would make them appear to be linked. But we know that the Ultimate N-Zone is something different, because we've seen it.

That said, who knows, maybe they specifically sucked Galactus back into the 616 N-Zone?
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Okay, I looked at it again ... could the Eternals have opened a portal into the Ultimate N-Zone?

If he has enough smoke, couldn't Aarkus have transported him? Especially if he worked with the Eternals. Wait, I need to go back and check out that awesome two page spread of Aarkus' doorways, when he first transported Bucky.

But you know, I'm not so sure trying to 'control' Galactus is such a good idea. I don't think he's going to appreciate that anymore than Ikaris did.

Fantastic Member

Well, both of them work fine when you read the story, but if you think hard about them, perhaps not so much. I do think giving Torch radioactive powers may have more greater consequences. Of course, considering the next arc, perhaps that's what's Robinson is counting on.
    Torch has been radioactive since the 1950s revival. Got hit with a nuke, he absorbed the energy.

BANNED

Torch has been radioactive since the 1950s revival. Got hit with a nuke, he absorbed the energy.

I knew that he was awakened by an A-bomb test, but I didn't think it made him radioactive. So, is he like Radioactive Man?

Fantastic Member

I knew that he was awakened by an A-bomb test, but I didn't think it made him radioactive. So, is he like Radioactive Man?

BANNED

Ha, that's great! "My entire body is radioactivated!" Sounds like his entire body was in a microwave. LOL!

"Also, Chief Wilson, you've now got radiation poisoning." Man, those Atlas comics were great fun.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Must wait until tomorrow. Couldn't get to the shop yesterday...glad everyone is liking the finale. I'm okay with a little Bucky since Robinson said he'd be featured more in a future arc.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy