Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider Island #1(of 5)

This one's set in an alternate world where things went very badly during the events of Spider Island. Flash Thompson Venom is the lead, coming up with a risky plan to save the world from the clutches of the Queen. Christos Gage & Paco Diaz deliver an accessible fast-paced story with a relatively solid twist, although I'm struggling to come up with more than a few sentences about it.

A back-up features Mayday Parker in the aftermath of the events of Spider-Verse. Two things I like from that story are MJ's new job, and Mayday's pain witnessing a mugging victim recovering with her father.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well first i am having trouble believing Peter was killed off, i mean it is said he was but we have been fooled into believing that before when the Queen first appeared so how do we know for sure she didn't bring him back transformed and under her command?

It's interesting that Flash basically is relying on Lizard Hulk not be driven by primal urges, Cap Wolf not to go Feral and Vamp Marvel not to have hunger pains as they stare down Spider Stark and his goons. Of course the next cover shows A Green Goblin into the mix so the question now is which Goblin? Harry or Norman? And is MJ in this as well as a possible ally?

Didn't The original Spider Island have people look normal but with spider powers, so MJ looked normal, and had a great time all told. But this alternate reality SI is far too lethal in its effects, turning everyone into freaky spiders, with just vague human remnants hanging off them. This spider virus made spiders, not human spiders.

That being the world building for SW Spider Island, it is a wonder Spiderwoman and Venom, plus a host of normals, got away and avoided bugs and flees, when they don't appear to have any protective suits on. Unless they are immune, bugs are going to turn you, because bugs are in sewers as well. Something doesn't ring true here. I think Venom is being set up here with these normals and Spider Woman. Vision I can see being unaffected, but you have to wonder about Venom, if this isn't like one of those What If? Ultrons, where Ultron keeps Pym alive just to hunt him down over and over again?

We have a lot of this going on in Battleworld, as in Inferno, where the X-Men are being absorbed by the demons, Sinister playing long games with Daredevil about Electra, the Regency with Peter Parker. Nightmarish stories about dangling hope in front of victims, because it's torturing them, or it's like playing with their food.

Defalco and Frenz have a great ability to write short, hurried, comic strip stories with Mayday Parker. They paint a picture of a sad, dysfunctional Mayday, just going through the motions, trying to grieve and get out and patrol under the hopeless pain of losing her father. I've never read a Spider-Girl story with so much despondancy. But Defalco and Frenz do have Mayday at least out and about, so this helps depression a lot. The extra complication of everybody thinking Mayday killed her father adds so much gravitas to it, and I think it is going to help in the end, because focussing on it, and capturing Mayday so she has to address it head on, is what is going to get her out of her funk. I think the Crimson Curse cursed Stinger, Cassie Lang, to turn her against Spider-Girl, and what's mysterious as well is Hank Pym Jnr is warning Scott Lang his daughter is in danger. I can't see danger here. Cassie just joined American Dream to fight Mayday. Where is the danger?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-10-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Does anybody know which Domain the MC2 is in? It can't be in the Regency, because no super heroes allowed. It could be in Arachnia, Norman Osborns Domain?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-11-2015 at 06:09 AM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Eh, not sure where it's actually located... Never was specified.

Interesting that Mayday remembers some of Spiderverse.

It's like most of these series. Hard to judge at this point. Curious to see where things go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Two things I like from that story are MJ's new job,
    The Spider-Girl store was introduced during the Spider-Girl run.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Didn't The original Spider Island have people look normal but with spider powers, so MJ looked normal, and had a great time all told. But this alternate reality SI is far too lethal in its effects, turning everyone into freaky spiders, with just vague human remnants hanging off them. This spider virus made spiders, not human spiders.
    Slott's Spider-Island did have the infected morphing into arachnoid bodies, as we saw with the Shocker gaining four more arms, and Jameson and Cooper growing mandibles, as well as human-sized spiders.
    That being the world building for SW Spider Island, it is a wonder Spiderwoman and Venom, plus a host of normals, got away and avoided bugs and flees, when they don't appear to have any protective suits on.ve just to hunt him down over and over again?
    Don't have the issue with me right now but Venom's dialog boxes have him saying that the symbiote protects him.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

MJ's Spider-Sperm induced immunity made her the last person in Manhattan to gain Spidey powers, hence she didn't have time to mutate. That's the reason Peter insisted on injecting her with the antidote, even though she wanted to keep the powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    MJ's Spider-Sperm induced immunity made her the last person in Manhattan to gain Spidey powers, hence she didn't have time to mutate. That's the reason Peter insisted on injecting her with the antidote, even though she wanted to keep the powers.
    since it's confirmed Peter's doesn't use protection then i would hate to think of what could happen with his new playboy persona Marvel is giving him.

Mighty Member

Do we get any of the other cool characters in this issue, like Stegron? Or is that yet to come?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    since it's confirmed Peter's doesn't use protection then i would hate to think of what could happen with his new playboy persona Marvel is giving him.
    It can have a bad fallout too when you consider that in Reign his sperm is what killed MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Slott's Spider-Island did have the infected morphing into arachnoid bodies, as we saw with the Shocker gaining four more arms, and Jameson and Cooper growing mandibles, as well as human-sized spiders.

Don't have the issue with me right now but Venom's dialog boxes have him saying that the symbiote protects him.
    But not Spiderwoman or the normals in the SHIELD safe house. How are they protected?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I assume everybody on Spider Island in the 616 story, was reverted back to human at the end of the arc? They didn't just stay that way?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I assume everybody on Spider Island in the 616 story, was reverted back to human at the end of the arc? They didn't just stay that way?
    Straight from the mouth of Hercules:
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Straight from the mouth of Hercules:
    Thanks for that Ray.