Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, but it has defined Barbara's character more than those two I would say. I don't think DC would make an R rated animated movie, but who knows. I'm curious to see what the art style will look like, but if the Dark Knight Returns is any indication they will try to make it like the comic art.
    It's defined her character for the better though, she wasn't much of a character prior to TKJ, it's because of TKJ we got BOP and SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Very cool, hope they do a good job. Wonder if they'll get Hamil and Conroy.
    Likewise. I know Hamill has said before that he's a huge fan of The Killing Joke and that if they ever made an animated movie of it he would love to do it. I'm sure Bruce Timm is well aware of that, so hopefully it happens.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    It's defined her character for the better though, she wasn't much of a character prior to TKJ, it's because of TKJ we got BOP and SS.
    This is some revisionist history right here. Barbara made her debut as a fully realized character during the height of Second Wave Feminism in the 60's, and is arguably the most significant DC character to come from that decade. She also had arcs where she became a Congresswoman. In the 80's, DC had no idea what to do with her and thought of her as dispensable, hence the allowance to use her in TKJ (The exact words being, "Cripple the bitch!", not exactly an encouraging initiative for character development).

Yale and Ostrander saved her from obscurity in spite of TKJ, not because of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, but it has defined Barbara's character more than those two I would say. I don't think DC would make an R rated animated movie, but who knows. I'm curious to see what the art style will look like, but if the Dark Knight Returns is any indication they will try to make it like the comic art.
    They did make a more mature movie, with Assault on Arkham. This movie should be just as disturbing, and uncomfortable, as the comic was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    This is some revisionist history right here. Barbara made her debut as a fully realized character during the height of Second Wave Feminism in the 60's, and is arguably the most significant DC character to come from that decade. She also had arcs where she became a Congresswoman. In the 80's, DC had no idea what to do with her and thought of her as dispensable, hence the allowance to use her in TKJ (The exact words being, "Cripple the bitch!", not exactly an encouraging initiative for character development).

In the end, crippling her made her a way more interesting character in the long run.

I mean a congresswoman? Comics from back then a hilarious.

Wow. I always wondered if they would try and do an adaptation of The Killing Joke but it's crazy to hear it's actually going to happen, with Bruce Timm at the wheel no less. I think it's going to be really tricky to pull off well... I'm hoping for the best.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Congresswoman? am I supposed to take that seriously? didn't Batman wear a zebra shaped costume back then as well? TKJ is still arguably the greatest Joker story ever written and the Joker is still one of the greatest villains and characters ever created,do the math. It's about Batman vs Joker and till now I have yet to read a story that captured their dynamic as brilliantly as TKJ did, The Dark Knight comes close but it's not a comic and it was itself inspired by the TKJ.

BANNED

Yeah this one has the potential to be right up there with Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood,I wouldn't at all be surprised if it surpasses them.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-11-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    As long as it's not the new 52 animated universe then I'm all for it. All the new animated films have been absolutely awful.
    Why do you care if it's in the new 52 animated universe or not? An adaptation is an adaptation. The only difference between the two is the costume and if the costume difference would make it absolutely awful for you then you're not very objective viewer isn't it.

I wonder if Alan Moore will receive any credit. I imagine he'll want his name removed, especially since he doesn't think the story is any good to begin with.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-11-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I wonder if Alan Moore will receive any credit. I imagine he'll want his name removed, especially since he doesn't think the story is any good to begin with.
    Alan Moore always gets his name removed from adaptions of his stories. He hates them regardless of their quality.

I want the want the story in it's full glory. This is also one of my favorite stories and I want it faithfully adapoted like Year One. Barbara fans better not ruin days.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-11-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Oh joy.

Sums everything up. TKJ is boring and dull. The artwork was great but the rest is just like boring. I don't want to see it and I'm not even a fan of Babs. It is just a dull story that can't go long. I mean you can make a story out of so many things in Batman's history that would go for longer than TKJ or is better. If it gets made which it will, I'm not going to watch it so eh.
    Last edited by Vinsanity; 07-11-2015 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Alan Moore always gets his name removed from adaptions of his stories. He hates them regardless of their quality.
    Didn't he keep his name in For the Man Who Has Everything since he liked it?
    BB

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    No thanks. TKJ is one of my least favorite stories so I'll pass.
    I was a teenager and had just started going to the comic shop (read an article about TDKR in Rolling Stone) when TKJ published. Even as a teen, I was appalled by it. It was the book that turned me off to "grim 'n gritty".
    Back then, the comics stores really were full of guys in their thirties and forties who looked just like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.
    The comics reading audience has certainly evolved and expanded since then, but I suppose there is still a core of sad, socially awkward, misogynic fans to make this project successful.
    Happy to see, however, that there have been challenges lately to the received wisdom of TKJ's greatness, particularly by a younger generation of readers.
    If interested, I would recommend checking out the Killing Joke special of the 'Batgirl to Oracle' podcast for a lively discussion of the merits of this 'classic'.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I hope they get away with everything,if they're making this story then they have the right to adapt it in it's full glory as the creator intended, it's a story about Batman and the Joker not Barbara Gordon.
    And that's the goddamn problem with it. It fridges Barbara in a story that's the faceoff between too men. At best it's just all too common of a story. There's nothing novel about it and female characters constantly deal with that issue.